WVHillbilly520H

Refinished Wheel Covers

WVHillbilly520H

I got a set of severely weathered/rusted wheel covers with the 520H I bought last spring and decided to give my local powder coater a shot with his "stainless/chrome" look powder just got them back this evening what do you guys think? vs the actual original chrome (last picture of a set I polished up back in the summer)? I believe I'm going to paint the embossments like the old style before they go back in use,Jeff.

IMAG2844.jpg

IMAG2845.jpg

IMAG2846.jpg

IMAG2380.jpg

• Like 8

Digger 66
26 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

what do you guys think?

For what it's worth , I like the original chrome best .

They're  your babies , but you asked .

Personally i don't care for powder-coating but that's a whole different ball game .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

I'm betting...   :twocents-02cents:

they look much better in person.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

Paint up the centers, then let's see them on the tractor. 

• Like 4

"D"- Man

Maybe it's just the pics, but; I think the originals look better.  I purchased a 6" W.H. wheel cover that was dented and scratched with about 3 coats of paint on the backside and spots on the front, after removing the paint, working out the dent and sanding out the scratches it turned out very presentable.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Thanks either way ,I'm still 50/50 on them myself the sample pieces they had looked "more" chrome bit at least they aren't rusty anymore, these were pitted badly and most of the chrome had peeled to bare metal/rust, I really had nothing to lose but my $, it should hold up better than spray bomb silver/chrome/aluminum paint, in person the color actually reminds me of my plastic anniversary caps that came my '97 but glossy, I still have the original chrome set I polished, another set that's 50/50 if they'll polish out, these and my anniversary set, when I get the embossing painted I'll mount them, photos and update,Jeff.

• Like 4

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:   I like the idea of having a great looking alternative to chrome; the local powder coater was showing me a set of rims he had done with a burnished stainless steel look, they were great.

Image result for dare to be different

• Like 2

"D"- Man
4 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Thanks either way ,I'm still 50/50 on them myself the sample pieces they had looked "more" chrome bit at least they aren't rusty anymore, these were pitted badly and most of the chrome had peeled to bare metal/rust, I really had nothing to lose but my $, it should hold up better than spray bomb silver/chrome/aluminum paint, in person the color actually reminds me of my plastic anniversary caps that came my '97 but glossy, I still have the original chrome set I polished, another set that's 50/50 if they'll polish out, these and my anniversary set, when I get the embossing painted I'll mount them, photos and update,Jeff.

Sounds good, please let us know what you use for the embossing paint color, and how it turns out.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
13 minutes ago, "D"- Man said:

Sounds good, please let us know what you use for the embossing paint color, and how it turns out.

Will do, I do know there is an actual spray chrome but no one does it locally and actual rechroming would be more than finding N.O.S. covers for sale, Jeff.

• Like 2

can whlvr

like you said they look a lot better then rusty pitted caps,if you don't mind sayin how much does this cost,i purchased a set in perfect condition for 100 bucks,just comparing for my own curiosity

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

like you said they look a lot better then rusty pitted caps,if you don't mind sayin how much does this cost,i purchased a set in perfect condition for 100 bucks,just comparing for my own curiosity

$80 for them to media blast and powder coat inside and out, rechroming with shipping both ways $175ish was my phone quote, I wasn't after show quality as much as clean worker usable without rusting/ruining anymore

• Like 3

MalMac

There is a saying in racing that is "How fast you want to go equals how much you want to spend."  Same goes for dressing up cars, trucks, tractors,etc..... How shiney you want to look.......... = $$$$$$$$$ powdered coating at least saved them. They turned out nice and once you paint the lettering and emblem they will look good and be a nice alternative. I have several sets that were rescued from a scrap dealer. Came in from a municipality that had 520's for there park dept. Some are almost Nos stuff and others are rust buckets. Theses might be good candidates for what you have done to yours.

• Like 2

obone

I like the shiny ones, but if all you are after is a worker with a little class and half the cost you did not go wrong. Just never park it next to another one of your beast with real chrome and know one will ever know the difference. Does the second to last photo have both types in it? Powder on top chrome on bottom.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@obone, yes one original unpolished chrome and one powder coated in that picture, Jeff.

• Like 1

can whlvr

they look fine to me,and the powder cost isn't that bad

• Like 2

WHX??

Nice :handgestures-thumbupright:, more than good enough for a working horse!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Love them. 

But I'd love chrome even more! 

After a second look (actually a long stare with some drooling...) Yep!  With the embossing details:

Love them! 

Edited by DennisThornton
Second look
  • Like 1

rjg854

Perfect for a working horse!

• Like 1

smoreau

They look very nice!  But I must say, I am not a hubcap fan at all. I have had many from the original style to the new. My preference is the bar rim look. Maybe it the fear of damaging a nice looking hubcap. But I wouldn't mind doing the powdercoat thing to a rusty set of the old stile for my 875. 

• Like 1

neil

Very professional looking 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Thanks guys till I get them installed,Jeff.

MalMac

I'd be proud to put those in mine, very nice job.

• Like 1

obone

Those look so cool.  I didn't know powder would reflect so good. Very shiny. Kind of reminds me of how someone drinks tea with how your holding that camera. Sorry about the jab I had to point that out.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, obone said:

Those look so cool.  I didn't know powder would reflect so good. Very shiny. Kind of reminds me of how someone drinks tea with how your holding that camera. Sorry about the jab I had to point that out.

It's all good, must be my English roots, lol, or this new fangled phone,and if it hadn't been for their samples on some street/race car parts I wouldn't have gone this route from rusty like this to above,Jeff.

IMAG2890.jpg

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Here they are installed, Jeff.

IMAG3100.jpg

IMAG3102.jpg

• Like 6