Thegearhead0324

Straight pipe to muffler

Thegearhead0324

I started up the horse yesterday being bored and afterwords my ears were ringing so bad. I put a pipe on it last year, only cuz it looked cleaner than having clamps and a muffler on it. 

With that being said, today I went to tractor supply for a muffler, 2 clamps, and a flapper. Came home. Wrenched the big pipe off and clamped the muffler on its spot. I guess after painted flat black it's not too bad....

20170119_144158.jpg

• Like 8

JAinVA

You ears and those of your neighbors will thank you.Looks good.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:       :text-bravo:

• Like 1

cleat

Looks good.

I am a fan of quiet. Seems like most people around here put loud exhaust on their trucks.

Mine is stock and quiet and I like it that way.

2002 F-150.jpg

Your tractor may actually run better too. A lot of Gas engines like some back pressure.

Cleat

• Like 3

Thegearhead0324

Yea... I like a tone... not loud or quiet... like my truck I've had dual exhaust for 4 years now. But it's an 83 and it's a good tone for the ol motor. The 1257 tho I knew it would be loud... but it looked cleaner with just the pipe so I kept it on there. Guess it just hit me that when it's to the point that I gotta walk away from it while it's warming up in the shed.... it's time to change.

• Like 1

Daddy Don

Muffler for sure.

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

when i got my workhorse gt1642 it had no engine and i put a c125 engine on it i had took exhaust off it because muffle was rotted. then i got it running. man the neighbors didnt like that loud 12hp kohler. didnt take me long to put a new muffler on lol.

artfull dodger

Watch how much weight you hang off the side of the block without anything supporting it. Seen a few K series blocks cracked out from hanging a stack out like that and not putting a support bracket on it.  I did the whole stack thing for awhile.  For a show or occasional use tractor they are ok.  They are a major burn danger and after  awhile I got sick of breathing more exhaust fumes than the stock set up.  These days I keep the stock set up.  And the OEM Kohler pepper pots work/sound and last longer than the aftermarket ones btw.  Mike the Aspie

Thegearhead0324

I made up a support bracket and painted it red to match last year. Definately don't think it's going anywhere lol. It bolts on the bottom frame hole and the top on the exhaust clamp. 

20170119_144234.jpg

artfull dodger

Excellent brace set up!   I did see over in the classifieds that a gentleman in Michigan is getting the under hood style mufflers, like used in the C series with the bigger Kohlers, reproduced.  Those were a pretty quiet exhaust set up.  If it would fit, I would put one on my Commando 8 just to make it that much more quieter.  Quiet is good for me, espicaly after my diagnosis of being on the spectrum.  To much loud exhaust when I mowed all those yards as a teen, no wonder I was so irrritable in the evenings and wanted to be left alone.  I wear hearing protection when mowing or at plow days now.  Putt putting around at Portland I dont, need to hear whats around me.  Mike