AMG08

C-175 wont start

AMG08

Hello all. First post here and I will probably end up with a lot more questions for you all during this adventure.

I bought a house this fall that had a C-175 tractor, the mower deck, snow blade and tiller attachment come with the house. I ignored it all fall due to other issues but now I’m finally getting the time to mess with it. I put a new battery in it as well as new spark plugs. I went to fire it up and it will turn over but not start. I tried using starting fluid with no success. The most action I got out of it was a backfire at one point with the starting fluid.

Is there a typical problem to look for when these machines sit for some time? What is the next thing I should be checking? I know it had been sitting since July of 2014 but likely for some time before that even. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Adam

• Like 2

pfrederi

My guess would be the points have some corrosion on them from sitting.  Are you familiar with small engines??

My C175s are sleeping for the winter and I do not have any good pictures of points.  This is a stripped KT17.  You can see the points just below eh oil dipstick.  Yours would have a sheet metall box covering them.  If you have a points file that is first choice to clean them if not a new dollar bill run back an forth between the contacts can work.  Do you have a multimeter??

IMG_0078.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

JAinVA

Paul is spot on about point corrosion.That is the first thing to take care of.New plugs and battery are a good start to getting up and running.Since you get no response with starting fluid you have an ignition problem.

This is the first area to sort out but you should also look at replacing the fuel lines,fuel filters and checking for fuel flow from the fuel tank shut off valve.The carburetor also may need some cleaning as gasoline goes bad over time.If you can try to use ethanol free gas.If you can't get that then definitely keep a product called Sea Foam on hand.I am sure I am not the only one here that swears by that product.Lastly go easy on the starting fluid.It is a crutch at best and can cause engine damage if over used.JAinVA

• Like 6

elliot ness

Welcome to your first post.:text-welcomeconfetti: As for the not starting, as stated before , check the points , clean them and set the gap , make sure there is no oil under the points base, then clean your posts on your key switch. It should start then if you are getting fuel.

• Like 1

WHX??

Sounds like the boys above got the basics covered so I will just :WRS:

Got any more questions ask away!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat::text-+1:    :greetings-wavingyellow:

:WRS:

:wwp:

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:   Lots of good folks here, if the points clean up and fuel system component replacement don't do the job you may want to post again with what has happened, we will help!

• Like 1

can whlvr

I would pull the plugs,keep them connected and grounded,turn her over to see if they are firing,then you will know if you are getting spark

• Like 1

steelman

Maybe the previous owner turned off the gas? 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: I hate when that happens. 

• Like 1

Daddy Don

Points and make sure to set them at the right gap.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
7 hours ago, Daddy Don said:

Points and make sure to set them at the right gap.

.020 in.for the points.

• Like 1

Tankman

Clean the flywheel too.

• Like 3

AMG08

Thanks for the advice thus far. I will check into the points this weekend and see what happens.