Leelee

Flywheel Mark Onan 29/29E D-160

Leelee

I'm looking at the flywheel and there is a weld mark. Is this the center mark or am I looking for something else? 

gwest_ca

Service manual shows a picture of the timing mark on page 10 in the ignition/timing section. Does that answer your question? Further down in the engine section they discuss removing the flywheel but no pictures of the marks.

Garry

GMan

Guy's,

The mark is actually on top of one of the cooling fins of the flywheel. It is very difficult to see but once found you can easily distinguish the difference from the rest of the fins. I find it helpful to paint it with a paint stick once it is found to aid in future use.......................Hope this helps...............Gary

Leelee

The weld mark is on the same side (on the smooth OD) like in the picture. Are the fins what might look like teeth from the viewing hole? If so is it viewable through this access hole? Thank you in advance for your help. If anyone has a picture that would be awesome!

image.png

GMan

Leelee,

I have a couple of flywheels down in my barn that are removed from crankshafts. I will try and get down there tomorrow and see if I can get you a clear picture of the timing mark...........If not tomorrow it will be Saturday, but I will get it for you.................Gary

Edited by GMan

Leelee

Ok thank you so much! 

GMan

Leelee,

It was such a gorgeous day here for an Indiana January day my wife and I took a drive over to Lake Michigan and spent the day so I did not get the photo's for you. I apologize for that, as I know you are anxious for them. I will try and get them for you after church tomorrow though it will be later in the evening before I can get them posted for your use..................Again I apologize......................Gary

GMan

Leelee,

I thought I had more than one flywheel "out of storage" so I could compare to see if the timing marks where any different between units but that was not the case. I only had one I was able to access without opening several storage containers. Anyway I took a couple of pic's of a P Series flywheel for you to view. The first photo is of the complete flywheel viewed from the "cooling fin" side. The second is more directed at the timing marks. I added some red arrows pointing to the timing mark and to the letters. You can clearly see the timing mark that is cast into the flyweel running from near center of the flywheel to the outer surface where the ring gear is mounted. There also are two letters in raised casting shown, a "T" and a "C" for "top-center. So I was wrong in stating to you that it was on one of the cooling fins  and I apologize...............I hope this is clear to you but if you have any questions certainly feel free to ask.........................Gary

P218 Flywheel 1.JPG

P218 Flywheel 4.jpg

Leelee

Ok thank you so much! My husband is trying to find it though the access hole. I will try to get a photo where it might align from that perspective.

boomers_influence

leelee

the timing mark on your flywheel

IS on one of the cooling fins.

look for the 3 screws that attach the rotating screen.

the timing mark is on one of those fins.

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

GMan

Leelee,

Again my apologies! I did not notice the tractor model number within your thread title. Boomer is correct as to the timing mark beingon one of the fins. I should have looked closer before I took the leap! ................................Gary