HeyMrP

So I see lots of folks convert to a muffler stack instead of the stock. 

As you can see in the pic, my exhaust comes out right on the controller for the blower chute.

I admit the stack looks cool, but do they offer a quieter tractor?

Do they have better performance?

Any tried and true techniques documented here?

IMG_1870.JPG

Edited by HeyMrP
Spelling

Texas Todd

I have three stacks, a pepper shaker and one Nelson like yours. The Nelson is quieter by far. The stacks are quieter than the pepper shaker and yes they look the best, imho. Pepper shaker is certainly the cheapest. The stacks I have I bought from @jimkemp Send Jim a message and he can hook you up! I have painted mine with high heat paint and it holds up fairly well.

muffler dually.jpg

Lift Arm Stack.jpg

• Like 6

cschannuth

Jim can make them short, long, quiet, or loud and they are great quality at a reasonable price.  I left mine natural color but I may paint it in the future. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

JAinVA

Not to take away from Jims creations but there are lots of new mufflers cheap on E-bay.I bought one for the 16Horse on the big ugly 520.It can be mounted  down at an angle which I did or pointed straight up like a stack.They are plentiful and quiet compared to a pepper pot.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

• Like 1

HeyMrP

For me form follows function. My priority is quiet, so I'd go with he Nelson if that is the quietest. I'd also like to move the exhaust off the chute controller and avoid having it blow on the driver at the same time.

Edited by HeyMrP
Spelling
  • Like 1

JAinVA

Mr P,

The one reason I mentioned the E-bay muffler is because they plentiful,relatively, quiet and have several different mounting positions.You can mount them as I did pointing downward roughly 45 degrees to miss the pto belts or straight up.You may need to add some 1" pipe fittings to get the desired configuration but these parts are readily available.Hope this helps,JAinVA

• Like 2

HeyMrP
36 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Mr P,

The one reason I mentioned the E-bay muffler is because they plentiful,relatively, quiet and have several different mounting positions.You can mount them as I did pointing downward roughly 45 degrees to miss the pto belts or straight up.You may need to add some 1" pipe fittings to get the desired configuration but these parts are readily available.Hope this helps,JAinVA

Excellent! Thanks

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

My C160 had a worn out Nelson Muffler. The noise was too much for my tastes. I used a factory Harley muffler from a 2015 Road King. Stock mufflers are cheap as that's the first thing a new owner changes. I actually got mine for free. I know it had less than twenty miles on it. A few 1" NPT fittings and nipples and it's nice and mellow tone. I'll get around to putting a bracket on it soon. 

Mark. 

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3852.JPG

• Like 2

Texas Todd

Hacksaw:

I have considered doing just that as I have several sets of them. I am just concerned about the weight. I would love to hear what it sounds like though. 

And don't leave it out in the rain!

• Like 1

Texas Todd
20 hours ago, JAinVA said:

Mr P,

@JAinVA Could we get some pics? I am curious which EBay mufflers you are talking about. The downward at 45 degrees is intriguing...

• Like 2

JAinVA

Texas Todd ,

Sorry I don't have any photos.I have decided not to post anything here for a while so none will be coming. I am minding my own business as suggested and will just only look at the posts.

Edited by JAinVA

Texas Todd
48 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Texas Todd ,

Sorry I don't have any photos.I have decided not to post anything here for a while so none will be coming. I am minding my own business as suggested and will just only look at the posts.

Well....alrighty then!

• Like 1

HeyMrP
1 hour ago, JAinVA said:

Texas Todd ,

Im not going to "like" this one!

Texas Todd

Always a back story. It's all good. Happy Horsin!

pacer

This is a pretty good after market muffler off ebay, usually shown as for Cub Cadet, and they are very reasonably priced - around $30. It has good baffling and its design allows for multiple positioning.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IukAAOSw8-tWYGmd/s-l400.jpg

IMG_3363 - Copy.JPG

Edited by pacer
  • Like 4

HeyMrP
19 hours ago, pacer said:

This is a pretty good after market muffler off ebay, usually shown as for Cub Cadet, and they are very reasonably priced - around $30. It has good baffling and its design allows for multiple positioning.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IukAAOSw8-tWYGmd/s-l400.jpg

IMG_3363 - Copy.JPG

Dual exhaust?!

pacer

Yep, -The D-180 & 200's had the big boy twin Kohlers and the original mufflers arent around anymore (couldnt afford them when they were!:-o) so like most all of our horses we owners of the "Big D's" have to get innovative

• Like 1

HeyMrP
On 1/19/2017 at 1:29 PM, Hacksawhero123 said:

My C160 had a worn out Nelson Muffler. The noise was too much for my tastes. I used a factory Harley muffler from a 2015 Road King. Stock mufflers are cheap as that's the first thing a new owner changes. I actually got mine for free. I know it had less than twenty miles on it. A few 1" NPT fittings and nipples and it's nice and mellow tone. I'll get around to putting a bracket on it soon. 

Mark. 

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3852.JPG

That's quite bodacious!

• Like 1

Sarge

I'm seriously leaning towards using the generic Nelson replacement as well - how much heat does it transfer to the hood on the big D's ?? I wouldn't mind stacks but due to the engine's air flow rate and heat output you do have to be careful with the big K twins . Always thought about cutting a section out of a Harley stock muffler - but just don't have the time and they are plentiful/cheap enough . Wish there was room to run a Y-pipe and use the scavenging effect for better overall flow , but that would look like spaghetti on a D series .

Sarge

6wheeler

I needed a muffler for the C-160 I brought home last fall. I checked on the master parts viewer? But, I still kind of like my first born child. So no deal. I went to our local Fleet Farm and bought a IH tractor muffler. With the muffler, elbo and raincap w/clamps and black high heat paint? $50.00 Not the quietest. But, sure looks cool.... If I can ever figure out how to post pics? I will have to start doing that.