ClassicTractorProfessor

Always make sure equipment is in neutral before starting

ClassicTractorProfessor

Had the wife's Commando V8 on cleanup duty today. We had a lot of fairly large limbs in our yard so figured I'd use the tractor to drag them out. Anyhow I helped the neighbor kids drag a few limbs and came back to the house, parking the tractor outside the fence. Now let me set the scene for you, the starter is out on her tractor so we have to raise the hood and rope start it. I always be sure and put the tractor in neutral and set the brake before dismounting, as well as checking before I start it, but it slipped my mind today. I raised the hood, wrapped the rope, gave her a good pull, and she took off right into a fence post. Bent the hood a bit and mangled up the hood hinges real good. So now we have a Hoodless Horse until I get the time to try and straighten everything out. Worst part was my neighbor was standing in his yard enjoying a beer, he got a few good laughs at me trying to get to the tractor before it hit the fence. Luckily no one was hurt, but it very easily could've got bad real quick.

KIMG0094.JPG

• Like 5

JAinVA

Good advice.  Besides WHs one of my passions is two cylinder JD crawlers.These machines have no safety switches at all. I am aware of someone standing behind one and reaching over the fender to pull the starter rod.The clutch was engaged and the trans in reverse. He never did that again.I will leave it to your imagination what happened when the tractor started.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

AMC RULES

Accidents happen...:confusion-shrug:

c'mon let's see that hood.

• Like 3

rjg854

Sorry to hear about your situation and glad no one was hurt. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. 

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Craig, I was too darn mad when it happened to think about taking pictures, the hood didn't fare too bad. Just put a bend in it right above where it attaches to the hinge on the LH side. I tried to straighten it out on the tractor and got most of it taken care of, but the hinges are tweaked so it won't set down and latch. Normally I would've taken it in the shop and fixed it right away but didn't want to waste too much time with all the cleanup we have to do. So I just unbolted the hood and carried on...I will get a pic of the hood tomorrow but there's not too much damage to see on it

• Like 3

JAinVA

Bryce, with the mess you guys have out there things can overwhelm you and you can get preoccupied.Just be careful.We are all hopping for the best for you and all affected.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
47 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Bryce, with the mess you guys have out there things can overwhelm you and you can get preoccupied.Just be careful.We are all hopping for the best for you and all affected.

Yes that can very easily happen. Hauled four trailer loads of limbs out of our yard today, as well as cut 4 of the bigger ones up for firewood. Still have one maybe two to go and then move on down the street...have several more yards to go. Then comes the work with the bucket truck straightening up what's left of the trees around town

• Like 3

JAinVA

Been there buddy.Just be careful.

• Like 2

squonk

Just  think if the fence wasn't there to stop it. Could have been much worse!

I knew a guy who just restored a AC WD 45. Had a big blade on the front. He started it one day while not on it and it took off. The blade tore the metal siding of his shop open like a can opener, and one tractor fender got mangled. 

• Like 3

953 nut
8 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

Luckily no one was hurt, but it very easily could've got bad real quick

:text-yeahthat:     Glad you weren't hurt!

• Like 1

rmaynard
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Just  think if the fence wasn't there to stop it. Could have been much worse!

Maybe he would have caught up with it, jumped on, and just waved at his neighbor like "what? I meant to do that. Where's my beer?"

• Like 5

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Maybe he would have caught up with it, jumped on, and just waved at his neighbor like "what? I meant to do that. Where's my beer?"

:ROTF: now that would have been a sight to see. Not sure I could've caught up to it but I'm sure everyone would've gotten a show at me trying. But it probably is a good thing the fence was there. If it had missed the fence it would've hit the tree in the middle of the yard

• Like 1

DougC

Guys in Iowa do stupid stuff as well.... And my, I mean their neighbors stay quite entertained.      :lol:

Glad to hear there were no casualties except for the hood and hinges.

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor
6 hours ago, DougC said:

Guys in Iowa do stupid stuff as well.... And my, I mean their neighbors stay quite entertained.      :lol:

Glad to hear there were no casualties except for the hood and hinges.

:text-yeahthat::ROTF: glad I'm not the only one lol

6wheeler

Umm, That sounds familiar. I used to work at an elevator in the fertilizer dept. They bought an 88 Ford f-250 for a sprayer truck. I pushed it in the shop because it wouldn't start. Figured out the wiring problem and reached in to hit the starter through the open door? Apparently the PO had disabled the neutral safety switch. Because, it was in gear(4spd.) and, lo and behold? My repair was spot on. She fired up like a brand new truck. And, proceeded to take off across the shop. Running into and over the tire machine. Whereby, lifting the rear end so far off the ground? It couldn't go any farther. So, Question? Did you stand there and say "what the F just happened":-o? And then laugh? Or laugh first? 

Sarge

When I worked in a friend's diesel shop we serviced and repaired a lot of odd equipment . Got a guy that brought an old Freightliner in for some quick repairs and a grease job - no problem until I was under it and the owner reached inside to start the engine to show the shop owner a noise he'd heard . I was still on the creeper near the rear suspension , had just finished the main drive shaft when it started up the Cummins and we went out the door in 3rd gear into the parking lot , headed for the old weight scales and their protective barriers . Ended up off the creeper , hanging onto the frame to avoid the Henrickson suspension ( mouse almost won't fit under those) and trying to stay out of the main driveshaft by holding onto the bundles of air lines . Luckily , I broke the main rear park service feed and that set the brakes enough to kill the engine . Glad I had just adjusted them nice and snug since they were way out of spec when I first started the service work . Lot of road rash down my back , almost ripped my pants clean off and tore a new pair of jeans , but no real damage to anything . Took two guys and the shop owner to keep me from beating the guy to death with that grease gun , he got the worst of it and a large bill to repair the air system , as well as the jeans and a new creeper for the shop .

Been around too much equipment that doesn't have a safety start system , I never leave anything in gear and if a parking device is not working it is fixed promptly or the machine stays out of service until it's corrected . These tractors are capable of killing you or someone else , way too many pictures of folks getting hurt and property damage out there - be careful and always double check .

Sarge

• Like 3