JAinVA

Potato plows

obone

So did you weld the spines on? What spacing did you use? The one with the spines plow part looks angles different then the other. Was this on purpose? If so why? Do you have a video or maybe you could tell how you use them. I want to copy this design very badly. This is what I had in my mind after watching a lot of u-tube and reading this site. Did you make the square tube pieces? When you say based on standard parts do you mean from bigger tractors? If it's not clear I LOVE your design.

• Like 1

JAinVA

Obone I answered many of the questions you have in the   wheel horse tractors   area.Just go there and it would show up with the thread   c-81 plowing potatos

Go there and check out the answers .If you do that ask again ,list questions and I will do my best to get you the info you seek.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

obone

Cool Thanks JAinVA!

JAinVA

Here is what I did to make the potato implements.

The middle buster is an 8" and is bolted to a piece of 1/2" by 1" flatbar.The rest of that attachment is 1"x2" x 1/8" rectangular tube.The vertical member has 1/2" holes drilled on 1" centers.This arrangement  allows easy adjustment of digging depth.I made sure that the middle buster was flat to a concrete surface to establish the angle need for the vertical tube.

The potato plow is a 10" cultivator sweep mounted to a 1 1/4"x1 1/4" x1/8" wall square tube.I made sure to lat it flat to on the concrete surface to establish the correct angle of the vertical tube.This tube has the same hole pattern as the middle buster mount.The tines are 1/4" rod.I drilled through holes in the 1 1/4" tube every 1".I welded the tines.I took a hydraulic jack handle and slipped it over the tines so that the handle touched the mounting.I used this handle to bend the tines back to what I thought looked correct.The tines lift the spuds out of the ground and sift the dirt out.They were originally all the same length and I found that they didn't wwork as well as I needed.I think a 2"spacing would be better.The trencher is just dropped into the ground at the start of the row and lifted at the end.Nothing special

The potato plow is the same technique but make sure the plant matter is cleared first.I basically came up with these after looking at several You-Tube videos.Experimenting and adjustments for soil condition will be necessary for your application

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

obone

JAinVA thanks for all the information. So are your spines one piece per row? IE square tube drill hole run rod so is equal on both sides of square tube then weld.

JAinVA

That's correct they run through and were the same length.One of the reasons there are no pictures of the construction is I didn't know if they would work and who wants to be reminded of failures.

The reason there are no pictures of them in use is that my missus and photographer is busy shaping up the furrows at planting.She is also busy picking up the spuds at harvest.You don't need 2 people but it works better if you have help.There is no particular reasons for the various tube sizes.They were adequate and something I had laying around.

One other thing I neglected to mention is at harvest I go down the center of the row first pass and shift 4 or 5 inches on either side on following passes.I repeat this several times to get all of the potatoes.More seat time and the tractor never gets tired.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Wishin4a416

Nice!! A real back saver Jim. I have 2 I have to sell. A 3 point and a drawbar type. Looks great.