Aldon

GT22-8 Modifying GT14 to 8 speed and 22hp Predator

Aldon

Craig's video sums up the update.

Still have a lot of work to finish it like turning brakes & hydraulic pump and reservoir. Not sure how much I'll be able to work on it this spring. Depends on my potential relocation. 

Pretty happy with it.

Kyle @fast88pu got the predator hooked up for me a few weeks ago. Shout out to him for his assistance!

IMG_1399.JPG.91ddbcc8371c1f997ff13a7bf04f6c7e.JPGIMG_1400.JPG.35c7efce02f449d2c1aca39c74f38678.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

19richie66

It looks and sounds so good! 

• Like 2

WHX??

Rubber selection is spot on Aldon. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

953 nut
5 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Horse hauling the male.

Not too surprising it is fast, the rear gearing was set up for 23" tires and those look like 28" or taller.

• Like 2

Aldon
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Not too surprising it is fast, the rear gearing was set up for 23" tires and those look like 28" or taller.

29x12.5-15

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

fast88pu
2 hours ago, Aldon said:

Craig's video sums up the update.

Still have a lot of work to finish it like turning brakes & hydraulic pump and reservoir. Not sure how much I'll be able to work on it this spring. Depends on my potential relocation. 

Pretty happy with it.

Kyle @fast88pu got the predator hooked up for me a few weeks ago. Shout out to him for his assistance!

IMG_1399.JPG.91ddbcc8371c1f997ff13a7bf04f6c7e.JPGIMG_1400.JPG.35c7efce02f449d2c1aca39c74f38678.JPG

No problem aldon. Any time

Happier then I kid in a candy store

IMG_20170916_165114.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

HorseHead1089

Hows the progress? I have been currently working on a project where I want oversize tires. Most of the rims and wheel centers I have seen do not look like they will accept the standard 12" wheel weights, however your rims looked like they are stepped to the regular size wheel center sizes.Where did you get your rims and wheel centers? I always enjoy your work, looking forward to seeing more fantastic projects!

• Like 2

Aldon

Thanks for the positive comments.

I brought it to @stevebo fall meet and greet. @VinsRJ has posted some videos online of that get together and you can see it as well as some other really nice tractors. I even gave pulling the loaded sled a try but it’s still not ready for prime time. Steve had his newest Senior and @fast88pu had his new predator powered puller there. Lots of nice tractors and folks in attendance.

The tires are 15’s. Got the rims and Center’s from Miller Tire in Nebraska I believe. I acquired a set of Case style 15” Weights That look almost identical to the weights Wheel Horse used on C195’s.

I am transferring with my employer out west and I’ve been traveling extensively since the meet and greet. As such, I may not get much more done on this until Spring and even then I may be tied up with showing the house and such. Not sure if I’ll get much more done before I head west. 

I do plan to attend this years show in Bilgerville PA and will have it in whatever state it’s in at that point.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Aldon Where are you relocating ? Moving is a big pain in the _ _ _.

ztnoo

Go West, young man (Mr. Timble)!

"Go West, young man" is a phrase often credited to the American author and newspaper editor Horace Greeley concerning America's expansion westward, related to the then-popular concept of Manifest Destiny. It was first stated by John Babsone Lane Soule in an 1851 editorial in the Terre Haute Express, "Go west young man, and grow up with the country." Greeley later used the quote in his own editorial in 1865.

Grinnell College historian Joseph Frazier Wall claims that Greeley himself denied providing that advice, and "[spent] the rest of this life vigorously protesting that he had never given this advice to Grinnell or anyone else...".[7] In a footnote Wall states

“For an account of the true source of "Go West, young man" and Greeley's disavowal of being the author of the phrase, see Evans, Bergen Dictionary of Quotations, (New York, Delacourte Press, 1968), p. 745:2. John L. Selch, Newspaper Librarian of the Indiana State Library, in a letter to William Deminoff, 12 Dec. 1983, confirms that Soule was the source for this statement.”

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_West,_young_man

Greeley never mentioned the notion of lawn and garden tractors, particularly regarding westward expansion.

I suppose that is acceptable now.

rotfl.gif.4dddf79741c9b684510880e381f30d2a.gif

• Like 1

Aldon

I was originally destined for Salt Lake City UT but managed to negotiate it to Boise ID.

Btter Real Estate prices and a bit more elbow room:-)

• Like 4

ACman

@Aldon said ...Got the rims and Center’s from Miller Tire in Nebraska I believe. 

Miller is located in Wauseon Ohio ... here’s a link http://www.millertire.com/

Hope to see you at the Big Show again Aldon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shuboxlover
2 hours ago, Aldon said:

but managed to negotiate it to Boise ID.

Btter Real Estate prices and a bit more elbow room:-)

I'm so freaking jealous right now!!!.... Idaho is on the short list....VERY VERY short list of places my wife and I want to move to after the kids are out of school.   Who knows,  anywhere from 5-10 years from now we may be "neighbors"

Good luck with the move,  you'll probably triple the wheel horse population in Idaho when you move :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

Maybe I’ll start a trend:-)

I will have a full trailer for certain.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

Am I the only one ready for @Aldon to get moved and back to work on this beast? We now know he is keeping this one, and I am jonesing for more GT-14 content!! 

I have bought one but not got it home yet and this thread us very close to what I want to do! 

Randy

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

Anytime now sir the weather will turn and a slight reduction in business Travel should provide the perfect conditions to bring your hopes to fruition.

It helps that I too want to finish and have little time left to do so.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

19richie66

I feel the time crunch as well. But just as it sits, this thing is cool 😎. 

Edited by 19richie66
Forgot the comma 😁
  • Like 2

GT14
23 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Am I the only one ready for @Aldon to get moved and back to work on this beast? We now know he is keeping this one, and I am jonesing for more GT-14 content!! 

I have bought one but not got it home yet and this thread us very close to what I want to do! 

Randy

I am proud to be the Predator Pioneer, glad to see so many doing the conversion/upgrade. Aldon has taken it to the next lever for sure.

• Like 5

p38js

Can’t wait for the next chapter

RandyLittrell

@Aldon  I would like to ask how much backspacer is in your wheels? And could you have used the shorter axles with different backspacing on the wheels? 

Thanks, Randy

Aldon

Not sure on backspacing. Work has been extreme for past several months and is trending worse. Have not had time to touch the project in a long while. 

@fast88pu has an 8 speed with standard axles.

If he sees this, he can give feedback on the pros/cons of the longer axles. I know he is planning on modifying his at some point.

• Like 2

19richie66

I have mine set at 3.5” of backspacing. 15”x10” wide wheels. With standard axles you would have to set the center plate almost to the edge of the wheel to clear the inner fenders or run spacers. Mine has less than an inch between the tire and inner fender panel. 

3BAE0620-433A-4158-B4A9-2B9B71A52BFB.jpeg

• Like 4

RandyLittrell

Thanks for the replies, I have plans to turn my GT-14 a plow tractor with an 8 speed as some point. I have wheels from a super cub and they are 12x8.5 with 1 1/2" backspacing. Hope to run the 27x10x12 interco interforce tires. 

It would be nice to not have to change axles. 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

@RandyLittrell Not to hijack Aldon’s thread but The biggest problem I see with the stock axles is the Fender mounting panels. If you could  trim an inch off each side up top where they mount to the frame rails and move them both in an inch, that would move your axle mounting flange also in putting them an extra inch away from the tires. Even if you had to run an 1-1/2 to 2” spacer, you might get away from having to swap axles. It would make your seat mounting area narrower and the seat pan might hit the fenders depending on your seat. Put a spacer below the seat bracket maybe. Just thinking out loud. I don’t know as I have only swapped on the eaton. Maybe one day I’ll do an 8 speed. 

70166324-AB2A-4EE7-ABC3-16952F43ABCC.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3

RandyLittrell

I am too wide to narrow seat pans!! 

I won't hijack Aldon's thread any further, I will start my own thread before too long and we can cuss and discuss things there! 

Glad there is so many great threads to help others along! 

Randy

• Excellent 2