Adam

limited slip ideas needed

Adam

So I need some ideas on how to upgrade my raider 10, its the 10 pinion 8 speed, use it for pulling wood and "off-roading" (I know the pinions are weak) but I want some ideas for a limited slip up grade or a lockable diff any ideas would be great as well as ways to bullet proof the transaxle in general. thanks 

pfrederi

I am pretty sure all 10 pinion differentials were limited slip.  If your isn't "limited Slipping"  I would suspect the spring is tired out.  They are NLA but you could post a want ad in the classified here.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

If I were you, I would run heavy duty chains (v-bar or the like) and a bit of weight on the rear, and/or get wider rear tires. 

There has only been one person I know of that made a locking rear diff @meadowfield but his is selectable. You would not want to lock the diff all the time as the tractor will no longer turn well and you will eventually break something. 

The only real upgrade to your trans is to put an 8-pinion differential in there. I dont think it is worth a tear down just for that though, it will likely be strong enough for anything you need the wheel horse transmissions are very stout. The absolute BEST way to bullet-proof your trans is to USE YOUR HEAD. Don't shift on the fly, don't drop the clutch, don't yank or bang into things at high speed, keep fresh oil in it, etc... Follow those guidelines and you will get a LONG life out of that transmission. :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 9

Aldon

I need to find that thread that discussed a selectable locking differential that @meadowfield did and see if it is something I have skill and resources to implement.

On my current project, I am widening an 8 Speed and while I have some limited slip diffs for parts, I could not assemble them such that I could line up the main gear in correct orientation. As such, I went with standard 8 speed posi and will use turning brakes to lock up the free spinning wheel.

Just another option for you to consider. It would require modifying the tractor with independent brake on each rear wheel.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat: I am trying to sort out a way to do turning brakes for the masses, but it could be pricey and I dont have much time to devote to it at the moment. That would be the easiest way to do a version of 'limited slip' for wheel horses without having to custom build a differential and modify the case. 

• Like 1

Aldon

I plan to use D series Hubs and use Go Kart disc Brakes

• Like 1

JAinVA

Aldon ,

Meadowfield has a You-tube video showing the locking diff build.If you do a search for WH locking differential on You-tube you should see it.He basically uses the shifter hole to mount the locker control.I assume its locked into one gear.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Aldon

I saw that video. As I was searching for a thread. Could not find it so resorted to Google. Up came the video. I need to watch it again or perhaps a few times and see if there is enough detail to reverse engineer it.

bmsgaffer

I knew I read about it somewhere.

Aha! Here it is. I am sure @meadowfield will be back in to comment sometime here.

• Like 2

Adam

I have chains and the tires a filled with washer fluid, but the factory limit slip only really works when im in mud. I don't want to weld the diff but a locker would be cool. i have been thinking about the brakes and it would be the easiest.

meadowfield

Hello...

theres not not a lot of room in the housing, I took all the gears out because I didn't need them and it was been driven from the brake drum. The locker will fit with all the gears, but in order to make it selectable I would need to machine a selector in the back of the casing. 

• Like 3

Aldon

@meadowfield I posted on your original thread but you did an awesome job and I for one very much appreciate that you took the time to document for the rest of us. Kudos Sir!!!.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Adam, if your limited slip only works in the mud, then there is nothing wrong with your transmission.  Limited slip is just that...it is meant to turn the other tire if one tire is just sitting there spinning as long as you are going in a straight line. A limited slip transmission will act just like any other transmission if you are not going it a straight line.  I think you are looking for 4 wheel drive.  :think:

• Like 2

meadowfield
3 hours ago, Aldon said:

@meadowfield I posted on your original thread but you did an awesome job and I for one very much appreciate that you took the time to document for the rest of us. Kudos Sir!!!.

<blush>

Adam

ya I figured it's more for mud, I think maybe putting in a heavier spring inside the factory one to add more pressure, but a locker would be best. I talked about in another forum about adding a second transaxle in the rear to make a 6x6 or 6x4 but i can't find a trans and wheels for a reasonable price. 

stevasaurus

If your limited slip is working, then a heavier spring is not going to do anything.  You are trying to fix it and it ain't broke.  :think:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Dang double posting thingy.  :(

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

JAinVA

If you do any serious off roading then you may be aware of the term fuse.I'm not talking in terms of anything electrical but something in the drive train that is easily and cheaply repaired .This in the off road world would be a u-joint or a front hub.Torn up transfer case gears or any drive line gears for that matter are expensive and almost impossible to repair in the field.

The reason I point to this concept is to caution against being to aggressive on limited slip.I would consider the spinning tire to be the fuse.Just something to think about.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 5

Adam
2 hours ago, JAinVA said:

If you do any serious off roading then you may be aware of the term fuse.I'm not talking in terms of anything electrical but something in the drive train that is easily and cheaply repaired .This in the off road world would be a u-joint or a front hub.Torn up transfer case gears or any drive line gears for that matter are expensive and almost impossible to repair in the field.

The reason I point to this concept is to caution against being to aggressive on limited slip.I would consider the spinning tire to be the fuse.Just something to think about.JAinVA

good point, maybe I should do turning brakes, I don't have to split the case and its probably the easiest option. I dont have my tractor at my house does anyone know the axle size for the 8sp raider 10, Is it 1-1/8 ? 

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

roadapples

My `72 Raider 10 has 1" axles...

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, roadapples said:

`72 Raider 10 has 1" axles

In '72 the Raider 12 and 14 had the 5072 limited slip with 1 1/8 axles; Raider 10s didn't

• Like 3

Adam

oh mine is a 1970 I don't know if that makes a difference i think that they were 1-1/8

stevasaurus

Your 1970 Raider 10, model # 1-6051...if original...has a #5073 8 speed, 10 pinion LS transmission.  All, 8 and 10 pinion differentials have 1 1/8" axles.  :)

Adam

ya mine is all original except it have a 12hp Kohler I'm not sure if it was a factory mistake or a repower, but I have since put in a Wisconsin anel-d

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Adam, this may or may not help, but this video is putting a 10 pinion LS differential together.  It will give you some insight as to how this works and maybe what is possible.  I'm not sure you could even lock the pinions in here the way they float in the ring.  check it out.  :)

• Like 4