RJ Hamner

60 Suburban Steering Wheel Question

RJ Hamner

Today's project included the steering wheel.  Got all the old paint and "stuff" off the hub and the spokes (looks as though it was repainted numerous times in the last 50+ years with both spray cans and brushes)

I notice that the back of the wheel is still shiny but the top has been worn down to the hard rubber(?)

What has anyone/everyone used to coat the wheel to make it glossy again???

I thought of clear enamel but I'm open to other/better ideas

BTW:  It looks like I am running out of room on the "clothesline".  This is one of three:D

DSC_0523.JPG

• Like 1

Racinbob

I painted the spokes and used truck bed liner on the rim. I love the end result. It has a great feel and being a bed liner it's pretty tough. I've used Dupli-Color in the black can and Rustoleum and I didn't like them as well as the Dupli-Color in the blue can. It's not glossy though. :)

Steering Wheel.JPGDuplicolor 1.jpg

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 8

RJ Hamner

Looks good!:D

I'm going with the reverse colors - red spokes black shaft.

How many coats of the dupli-color did you use??

:thanks:

Racinbob

I'd say 3-4. It sprays different than paint and in the right conditions you can see it dry. I think it would look great with your red spokes. :)

Wildhorse
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I painted the spokes and used truck bed liner on the rim. I love the end result. It has a great feel and being a bed liner it's pretty tough. I've used Dupli-Color in the black can and Rustoleum and I didn't like them as well as the Dupli-Color in the blue can. It's not glossy though. :)

Steering Wheel.JPGDuplicolor 1.jpg

I used the same for the underneath of seat pan/ fenders of the ones I've restored. Like the way it looks and think it will hold up better than paint :twocents-02cents:

Chris G

Does that bed liner hold up good on the rims?

Sarge

If you want gloss - try Eastwood's Diamond Clear . I've used it several times in the past after sanding the glaze corrosion off a few wheels I've done , a few good coats and they still shine well after 5+yrs . I've also used their restoration filler to repair bad spots/cracks and it seems to work well , just stick to the directions and especially temperature ranges .

Randy's '68 Charger 12.jpg

Sarge

• Like 3

WHX??

I see you are using the same Rustoleo industrial in the regal red RJ. How did it work for you?  Seems to be a good paint for a rattle can.

Yes the bed liner, I love the way mine came out.  ..unless you want gloss, Might be able to clear coat it to gloss it out???

Nice lookin tractor Sarge! :handgestures-thumbupright:

RJ Hamner
2 hours ago, WHX9 said:

I see you are using the same Rustoleo industrial in the regal red RJ. How did it work for you?  Seems to be a good paint for a rattle can.

Yes the bed liner, I love the way mine came out.  ..unless you want gloss, Might be able to clear coat it to gloss it out???

Nice lookin tractor Sarge! :handgestures-thumbupright:

I thought I'd try the Regal Red this time.  So far I'm liking it.:rolleyes:  Seems to cover well.  I used the Tractor Supply IH Red on the 121 and it did a pretty good job once I figured out what worked best.

I had just turned on the compressor and had a few minutes so I shot a section of the steering wheel with some clear enamel.  Looked pretty good for one coat.  I'm still trying to make up my mind:blink: and I still have a fair amount of time before I need the wheel.  Still need to find a tranny or at least the case before I get too far.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

If you want gloss - try Eastwood's Diamond Clear . I've used it several times in the past after sanding the glaze corrosion off a few wheels I've done , a few good coats and they still shine well after 5+yrs . I've also used their restoration filler to repair bad spots/cracks and it seems to work well , just stick to the directions and especially temperature ranges .

Randy's '68 Charger 12.jpg

Sarge

I've looked at the Eastwood clear coat.  Just might go with it.  So far I've been using the 3M glaze.  This Suburban has a lot of dings but I guess it is to be expected when you account for its age and the guy I got it from had owned it since he was 8 years old.  Which probably explains the hole in the tranny case:D

• Like 2

Sarge

The red on the Charger was Valspar Restoration series enamel with hardener . Unfortunately , I had to paint it when the temperature was well over 90* due to work - fought with reducers for several days and even with the high temp/slow cure rating it still didn't want to flow out like it should . It looks good enough for a worker - 10 footer at best but that paint has held up quite well to abuse . The clear on the wheel still looks like the day it was done - wipe the dust off and it shines like nothing else...

Sarge