oldredrider

Transmission case gasket

oldredrider

I've got a 5025 transmission I'm working on. Can I use 1/32" gasket material for the cases? It's what I have on hand, but if it's too thick, what should I use?

pfrederi

Toro tranny gaskets are .015  or 1/64th

• Like 1

oldredrider

Thanks!  I appreciate that.

Adam

I use RVT sealant for mine and its worked great and i have no leaks. 

moe1965

Never tried it but I have heard you can use the cardboard container from a 12 pack of beer

oldredrider

When repairing/rebuilding machinery, I prefer to do things properly. Most of the problems I've fixed were caused by someone taking short cuts or simply not knowing what they were doing.

Since my name goes with the repair or rebuild, I make sure it's done right. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

rmaynard

The amount of time and effort that it takes to make a gasket is not worth it to me when I can buy a new one (Toro 3912) for about $4.00.

• Like 4

JAinVA

I'm with Bob on this.If the gasket is available then it at $4.00 is less expensive than enough gasket material to make one with.This is based on the price of 1/64" gasket material from McMaster Carr.

Paul I hear you on doing it right but wondered if an extra .015 thou thickness in this application would hurt anything.I don't know but I would think the way that the shafts enter and leave the case they wouldn't know the difference.Just asking.Luck,JAinVA

pfrederi

I do not know if it is good or bad...  It would slightly change the endplay on shafts that go from side to side...

I have a roll of 1/64 and 1/32 from McMaster

• Like 2

Spareparts

When I did the 5091 I measured the old gasket, 10 thousands, 1/64"  is 15-16 thousands, compressed thickness should be around 10. 

Our Toro dealer is about 25-30 miles one way, I made mine in about 5-10 minutes and all the seals from O-Reilly along with the gasket material

• Like 1