ti-jean

sand Spreader

ti-jean

Hi I  am looking for a calsium or 1/4 rock or sand spreader any idea ???

thank's 

jean

• Like 2

JAinVA

ti-jean,

If you have access to Northern tool and equipment they have a large assortment of spreaders that can easily be converted to a tow behind.If there are none near you or Canadian postage is to prohibitive you can at least see who manufactures the item.Hope this helps.

• Like 2

JimmyJam

I built one that attaches to my rear hitch. Just a wooden box with a hinged rear door. I shovel the sand (salt) out with a shovel when needed. I am guessing you are looking for a traditional spreader like they use on the back of pickup trucks. I haven't seen them or a tractor setup.

• Like 2

953 nut

Have you thought about using a pull behind fertilizer spreader?

• Like 5

82Caddy

Saved this to remind me post photos of my salt/sand spreader on my blower tractor. 

• Like 1

JAinVA

we would like to see them.

Richard, Maybe ti-jean  can get one of the units T-Mo posted the other day.I'm still chuckling at that video

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

JimmyJam

I built one that attaches to my rear hitch. Just a wooden box with a hinged rear door. I shovel the sand (salt) out with a shovel when needed. It doubles as a rear weight when plowing, but I am guessing you are looking for a traditional spreader like they use on the back of pickup trucks. I haven't seen them for tractors or for a tractor setup. I am sure they are out there.

• Like 1

Jerry77
47 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Have you thought about using a pull behind fertilizer spreader?

I have several and don't think they would hold up to salt and sand .....even my best one...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

pfrederi
11 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

I have several and don't think they would hold up to salt and sand .....even my best one...:twocents-02cents:

I have a older scotts walk behind spreader.  i use it to spread calcium flakes on the dirt road in front of the house to keep dust down in the summer.  I think rock salt would be too coarse and sand would have to be very very dry.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

ti-jean

everything is nice but i would like make with steel or stainless steel i have all the equipment to built one but no idea for gear box .

thanks 

Sarge

Gear box is easy - use a chain sprocket off the axle and the rear tire(s) off a newer lawn tractor with keyed wheels , many use a 3/4" keyed shaft and matching wheel hub . Easy to set the ratio that way and use a second shaft to drive a pair of toothed flat gears , much like a seed spreader, just heavier . I've seen some built using 90* boxes from tillers and such - blown engine tillers are a good source for parts but you have to make the drive ratio really spin that input shaft to get enough rpm's on the spreader . Some of the self-propelled mowers have a fairly robust gear box as well...

Just some ideas tossed into the wind.

I'd bet one for an atv could be converted as well...some of those are electric drive systems too .

Sarge

• Like 1

oldredrider

This topic jogged my memory. Picked up a tow behind broadcast spreader with plastic hopper at a yard sale for $5. Tried spreading fertilizer but it only threw it about 3-4 feet. Might be geared just right for salt or sand. If I kill it, I'm only out the $5!

• Like 1

DougC

We always used a broadcast spreader to sling ice melt around the lot at the GM dealership. Later he bought a commercial sander that fits on the back of a pickup bed.

The guys were to lazy to shovel sand into it so it went unused while the broadcast spreader and ice melt ended up to be the go to ice fighting machine.  :)

• Like 1

can whlvr

my new job as an estate manager is to keep about 2 kilometers of roads clear of ice,up here ice is a weekly deal,we get snow,it gets packed,then it warms up and melts the snow a bit but almost allways gets cold at night and geuss what,skating rink on ths driveway,ive tried several cheap tow behind spreaders and none of them will dispense sand and salt mixture,pure salt ya,ice melter ya,mix in some damp sand and not a chance,ive spread 2 tonnes of sand salt by hand this year and tonight were getting a huge ice storm again,you need something with an auger to feed the spreader it self,like the township trucks have,my neighbor runs an outdoor center across the street from where I work,he has a 3500.00 dollar tow behind that will spread sand,im gonna try it out,but ill buy a unit for ouf john deere sub compact before id spend that

• Like 1

DennisThornton

When I need my tow behinds to spread ice it's too icy for their tires to get traction so they just slide along spreading nothing.  I need chains or studs on my spreaders! 

• Like 1

82Caddy

I don't remember where or how I ended up with this spreader.  Might have got it from my grandpa when he moved out of his house or a garage sale or who knows. Mine is on a D series so might not work for most...

32239131141_3cb695933f_k.jpg

31982278590_c4986eb5c3_k.jpg

Mount is made up from scrap and stuff I already had around the shop.  Pull the top pin and the vertical piece slides out of the hitch.  Hitch has two pieces welded to the backside that have bolts in them to the lower 3 point mounts.  When the top pin is pulled the spreader tips away from the tractor and slides out.  I don't use it all that often but when it is used it works fairly well for what it is.  

Not the hitch wasn't connected to the mounts how it should have been in the photos.

• Like 1