rdeanrj58

lawn ranger ign. sw.

rdeanrj58

I have a L-157 that i'm getting ready to wire  I've found an ignition switch from Stens #430520 that might work but i question if its heavy enough to handle the starter since it doesnt use a solenoid    If it is what size wire should I use?  The engine is a Tecumseh HH 60 with magneto ignition    Thanks

pfrederi

I would say not.  I looked up the stens number you have.  The terminals do not look heavy enough to me.  Also the schematic shows sol (for solenoid) not s for starter.

Toro still has 101482 the replacement for 4987

l157.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

rdeanrj58

Ok. Thanks for the Toro part #. I looked at the wiring diagram and I don't see a solenoid 

pfrederi

There wasn't but.. If you are not into originality it would be a lot cheaper to use a solenoid and a simple switch.  I converted my L107 to electric start used a solenoid and intermittent push push button for the starter.  I used the original toggle switch for killing engine and put the push button in the plugged hole used for the ignition switch on L157's.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4

rdeanrj58

So the 4987 didn't use a solenoid.  What size wires would be required to use with that switch if I found one?    Thanks for all your help 

gwest_ca

On page 44 of this manual they state #6 gauge or lower for starter circuits.

Garry

• Like 2

rdeanrj58

Ok.  Thanks guys.  

gwest_ca

Personally I would add the solenoid and the lighter duty ignition switch. Then you only need #6 wire or even #4 usually available in made up battery cables between the battery (+) and the solenoid and between the solenoid and the starter. Then the rest of the wiring could be #14. Even #16 wire would work but the #14 has more structural strength. You will end up delivering more power to the starter just because the heavy cable is shorter.

The common 109331 ignition switch is much cheaper because of supply and demand and a push-on wire connector is available to keep things neat.

Garry

• Like 2

rdeanrj58

Hello again.   Things are coming along on the Lawn Ranger.  I'm using a solenoid and an ignition switch with terminals BGMLS .  I believe the M terminal will ground out my magneto when turned to the off position.  Can I hook my charging wire from the stator to the L terminal since I'm not using it or just run it straight to the battery? 

pfrederi

The L terminal will work

rdeanrj58

Ok thanks