Jaymon74

How do I release hydraulic brakes??

Jaymon74

So I have been having an issue getting the hydraulic brakes to release so I'm able to push my tractor.  I've had it two years and have yet to figure it out. The manual says to just unscrew the top plug, but that didn't work. It's a 1968 Charger 12. 

pfrederi

You rotate the tow valve 180 degrees.  In this picture you see the roll pin sticking though the valve.  Long end is to the front, that is drive position.  Turn it 180 degrees so it points back and you can push.

IMG_0069.JPG

• Like 2

Jaymon74

This is what mine looks like. I have even taken all of the plugs out, with negative result.

20170115_144843.jpg

pfrederi

That is not an original pump set up .  What is the model # of your tractor.  is there a metal tag on the hydro with a sundstrand ###

I am wondering if the hydro gear unit was replaced by a piston to piston at some point.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

JAinVA

I don't know much about the Sundstrand unit but with a Eaton 700 it will only move when under power.That is unless the motion lever is moved to the forward or reverse position, then it can be easily moved.Don't know if that would work in this case but it would be easy enough to try.

• Like 1

Jaymon74
18 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

That is not an original pump set up .  What is the model # of your tractor.  is there a metal tag on the hydro with a sundstrand ###

I am wondering if the hydro gear unit was replaced by a piston to piston at some point.

It is supposed to be a 1-7231 model. Could not find a tag on pump, did see casting stamp but couldn't make it out.

pfrederi
18 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

I don't know much about the Sundstrand unit but with a Eaton 700 it will only move when under power.That is unless the motion lever is moved to the forward or reverse position, then it can be easily moved.Don't know if that would work in this case but it would be easy enough to try.

On the Sundtrands you have to release the tow valve

14 minutes ago, Jaymon74 said:

It is supposed to be a 1-7231 model. Could not find a tag on pump, did see casting stamp but couldn't make it out.

Originally yours was a hydro gear

On the left side of the tractor just in front of the axle housing is the hydro motor.  If it is sort of figure 8 shaped it is an original hydro gear if it is round it has been converted to a piston to piston.

When hydrogears failed they were NLA so WH replaced them with piston to piston units.  The tow valve on them is different...I think!!  I have to do some research

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

My  three different models of Sundstrands  have the Tow release on the left side.     The one on top shown in Pauls picture,  the one in the front left that is a screw driver slot, and the one on the rear that is a hex head bolt..7/16 I think.

• Like 3

pfrederi

If it has been converted the tow valve would be in different location.  it is #108 in the picture and would be a flat blade screw driver project/  Screwed it to drive back out a turn to push

piston.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell

Also the transmission drive must be engaged  as this releases the parking brake.

• Like 4

Jaymon74
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If it has been converted the tow valve would be in different location.  it is #108 in the picture and would be a flat blade screw driver project/  Screwed it to drive back out a turn to push

piston.JPG

That is exactly how mine is. Thank you!

pfrederi
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Also the transmission drive must be engaged  as this releases the parking brake.

Excellent point...something I frequently forget ..almost counter intuitive to me...engage the drive system if you want o push it.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Those slotted tow release valves are notorious for being frozen.    I would make sure you have a good hardened tight  fitting drive  socket.    Snap On has them.

• Like 3

Jaymon74
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Those slotted tow release valves are notorious for being frozen.    I would make sure you have a good hardened tight  fitting drive  socket.    Snap On has them.

Good advice.  I'll be careful with it.

18 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Excellent point...something I frequently forget ..almost counter intuitive to me...engage the drive system if you want o push it.

I probably wouldn't have figured that one out. Thank you. 

• Like 1

keefer66

tow valve location.jpg

2edts9w.jpg

Edited by keefer66
  • Like 4

pfrederi
39 minutes ago, keefer66 said:

tow valve location.jpg

2edts9w.jpg

Great Picture ...

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Put a pair of Long Nose Vise Grip pliers on the tow valve stem, the give quick whack to 'break' it loose.  Usually works..if you can get the pliers onto it that is..     

1 (282).JPG

• Like 3

can whlvr

my c160 is frozen,tried every thing so when it needs towed I'm luckt enough to have a skid steer and I pick it up,DONT pull them without disengaging

• Like 3

Jaymon74
48 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

my c160 is frozen,tried every thing so when it needs towed I'm luckt enough to have a skid steer and I pick it up,DONT pull them without disengaging

I use an ATV jack to move it around.

• Like 1

can whlvr

good move,dont want to take the pump out of her

• Like 1

Jaymon74
On 1/15/2017 at 2:42 PM, pfrederi said:

You rotate the tow valve 180 degrees.  In this picture you see the roll pin sticking though the valve.  Long end is to the front, that is drive position.  Turn it 180 degrees so it points back and you can push.

IMG_0069.JPG

I went out and looked at the Bronco 14 and it has this type.  So guess that is original then? Not sure what year the Bronco is, but would the original type be better than the replacement in the Charger?

pfrederi

I wouldn't think it would make much difference.

• Like 1