Brandon hill

I cant get a spark

I cant get a spark

I cant get a spark

I cant get a spark

• Like 1

953 nut

If 

If I understand you correctly you have no spark!  :ychain:  When you did the test that Garry told you about did you have a steady supply of voltage on the "+" side of the coil and a pulsating supply on the "-" side when the engine was being turned over? If not, what was the outcome?

Brandon hill

When on the hot side it was on and on the negative side it blinked 

953 nut

With those results it points to the coil being the problem, you have good indications on the primary side, but no output on the secondary. @gwest_ca may want to chime in on this.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Next I would try a new spark plug. If it works use it. If it does not work save the new plug for the next time.

Next would be the ignition coil. Need to use one with an internal resistor. Kohler # 231281 or a replacement for it.

Garry

• Like 2

Tuneup

...and parts today are not what they used to be. My nice and new NAPA coil lasted 30 minutes. The second, so far, just fine. One of those "Made in...." things, I guess. So, you remove the plug and ground it to the head. Battery positive lead to the positive terminal on the coil. Take another lead and attach one side to the negative terminal on the coil. Ground it to the battery negative to charge the coil. Lift it - should see a spark. This bypasses all the wiring and the points and condensor. No spark - plug, high tension lead or coil.

• Like 2

Brandon hill

If this is correct i have the yellow goin to positive side and  green to negative and when i spin ot over i have no spark

image.jpg

953 nut

The colors mean nothing as the wires are not the originals. the wire from the "I" terminal of your ignition switch should be on the "+" terminal of the coil; the condenser and the wire to the points should be on the "-" terminal.

If it is wired the way it was when it was running then it is probably correct.

• Like 2

Brandon hill

The colors are the clips I clipped on there, i also should have mentioned that this mower has a push button start and a kill switch

Edited by Brandon hill

953 nut
25 minutes ago, Brandon hill said:

kill switch

I presume you mean it has an on/off switch with one wire to the Battery "+" and the other wire to the ignition coil "+" terminal. that will work just fine, lots of the early :wh: models had that type of set up.