Brandon hill

Kohler k341 wont start

Brandon hill

I have a kohler k341 that will not run. I put a new coil, condeser, spark plug, points, fuel line, and carburetor. All it wants to do a blow a flame out of exhaust. Any ideas of what might be my problem 

JAinVA

Sounds like a hung up exhaust valve or at least one that is not seating.Pull the breather and see if the valves are moving.If they are ,check valve lash.There is ample info if you use the search function for info to do both.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

Brandon hill

One of the valves is sitting all the way down, it looks to be the one that the spark plug hits, could that be my problem?

image.jpg

• Like 1

JAinVA

Yup,That's the exhaust valve and its stuck open.Thats the problem.You will need to remove the valve and clean the stem and valve guide.Nothing hard core if you have a valve spring compressor.The cleaning is relatively simple.Light attention with scotchbright or fine grit sand paper.Make sure to use a new head gasket at reassembly.They are not that expensive.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

roadapples

Good luck and     :WRS:

Brandon hill

Man thanks alot i will have that pulled out am to fixer up

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:     Sounds like Jim got you headed in the right direction. One more thing, after ti is running and has warmed up remember to torque the head bolts again.  

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

N3PUY
7 hours ago, Brandon hill said:

it looks to be the one that the spark plug hits, 

If the valve "hits" the spark plug could be that the valve is bent?!?!  :(

It looks like it is in the picture.  :think:

Wrong spark plug?  :no:

• Like 4

JAinVA

N3PUY has a good eye and a very good point.Check to see if the exhaust valve is bent when you get it out.

• Like 3

KC9KAS

Tuneup

If you don't have a spring compressor, you can have someone hold down the valve (or turn the engine on its head) and then compress the spring with two screwdrivers or even a pair of pliers used as levers. It's what I do. Putting it back in with this method is more difficult. I put twine on either side of the spring and compress it in a vise - which I do have - and take great care! Tie the twine and then release the vise pressure. Place it in, attach collars and cut the twine. Sweet. Vises have many uses but spring compressors are used once and then put away for X years. Useful tool but a 'unitasker' as the cook once said. Either that, or I'm just a cheap Southern boy.

• Like 4

JAinVA

Put in many a u joint with a vise.They can be used for many tasks if you are careful and creative.I got lucky with my valve spring compressor.Can't beat free.

• Like 2

Brandon hill

I shot some carb cleaner on ot and it went down like supposed to but still no fire i know for face its not hitting the new plug that may have been because the owner had another plug in there that was way to long and wasnt screwed in all the way sonit wouldn't hit the valve

JAinVA

Just so I understand.Exhaust valve is no longer stuck.Thats good.It was shooting fire out of the exhaust before no fire at all now.Is that right?

• Like 1

Brandon hill
1 hour ago, Tuneup said:

If you don't have a spring compressor, you can have someone hold down the valve (or turn the engine on its head) and then compress the spring with two screwdrivers or even a pair of pliers used as levers. It's what I do. Putting it back in with this method is more difficult. I put twine on either side of the spring and compress it in a vise - which I do have - and take great care! Tie the twine and then release the vise pressure. Place it in, attach collars and cut the twine. Sweet. Vises have many uses but spring compressors are used once and then put away for X years. Useful tool but a 'unitasker' as the cook once said. Either that, or I'm just a cheap Southern boy.

I feel you on the cheap and southern part lol im from west Te

6 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Just so I understand.Exhaust valve is no longer stuck.Thats good.It was shooting fire out of the exhaust before no fire at all now.Is that right?

Yes it was , now i cant get it to spark off the points 

• Like 1

JAinVA

Okay.I guess I don't need to tell you to recheck all the electrical connections.If coil,plug and points are new it has to be something simple.

• Like 1

JAinVA

It ain't about cheap as much as making do with what ya got.Not a Dam@  thing wrong with that.A country boy can survive.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

Brandon hill

aftet getting exhaust vale to seat i came to the conclusion to replace the one thing i did not, the condensor 

Brandon hill

ok fellas i got it running and rode it around awhile then it started sputtering and quit well now i cant get the point to spark but it's getting power to them, i hooked a teat light to the pos side of battery and the other to the point and when I turned the motor over the light came on

gwest_ca
7 hours ago, Brandon hill said:

ok fellas i got it running and rode it around awhile then it started sputtering and quit well now i cant get the point to spark but it's getting power to them, i hooked a teat light to the pos side of battery and the other to the point and when I turned the motor over the light came on

Check the points this way.

Ground the test light on any chassis metal or battery (-).

Turn the motor over and watch for constant power at the coil (+).

Now move to the coil (-) and turn it over. When the points are open you should have power. When the points are closed you should have 0 power. If you don't get 0 power the contacts are likely dirty and not making electrical contact. Clean up the point's contact surfaces. The light should flash once for every 2 turns of the crankshaft because the camshaft turns 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft.

Garry

• Like 3

953 nut

You may want to go back and adjust the points, they also set the timing. Use the attached method to set the points.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

JAinVA

Richard,

That was really informative.For some reason I have a low hour K341 that won't run worth beans at .020 I have the points set at .028 and it starts and runs fine.When the weather warms up I will use that method and see what I get.

• Like 1

Brandon hill
On 1/19/2017 at 3:30 AM, gwest_ca said:

Check the points this way.

Ground the test light on any chassis metal or battery (-).

Turn the motor over and watch for constant power at the coil (+).

Now move to the coil (-) and turn it over. When the points are open you should have power. When the points are closed you should have 0 power. If you don't get 0 power the contacts are likely dirty and not making electrical contact. Clean up the point's contact surfaces. The light should flash once for every 2 turns of the crankshaft because the camshaft turns 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft.

Garry

When i move it to the coil side (-) do i put the other on (+) or leave it at the (-)?

953 nut

The wire going to the battery ground ( - ) stays there.