JimmyJam

Snow Blower lift assist spring...replacement?

nataliator

Seems like the closest thread without starting a new one - does anyone else have issues getting the helper spring onto the frame tube? I have what looks like a nearly new helper spring, but the end loop is turned down too far on both ends, enough that i cant actually hook it to the frame where it says to. 

Am I missing something here? Maybe I just got a bad one and have to bend it out a little to try to open it so it will hook. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue. 

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, nataliator said:

issues getting the helper spring onto the frame tube

You can usually hold the spring vertically and tap the loop over the foot rest support rod.    If it is too tight, I would not hesitate to grind a bit off the loop to get more clearance.

It would be very difficult to bend the spring steel and may risk breaking the loop .

• Like 1

nataliator
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

You can usually hold the spring vertically and tap the loop over the foot rest support rod.    If it is too tight, I would not hesitate to grind a bit off the loop to get more clearance.

It would be very difficult to bend the spring steel and may risk breaking the loop .

Good call - i considered the grinder too. Just put the blower thru the paces for the first time without the spring - its a bit heavy but definitely doable without. Since its there, I will definitely try to get it on there. thanks for the tip.