JimmyJam

Snow Blower lift assist spring...replacement?

JimmyJam

Hi Guys and Gals! I have a 37" single-stage snow blower (model #6-9122). I was told that there was an optional lift assist spring that was once available to aid in the manual lifting of the snow blower. I am looking for that spring to help me manually lift. I know TSC sells many springs. I am just uncertain the size, length, or strength of the spring. Secondly, where does it attach? Flag to what? Anyone out there that has found the correct replacement? Pics? Thanks in advance for reading and any help/advise would be immensely appreciated. 

Ed Kennell

IMG_0056_zps70267e83.jpg

From Glen Petit in our vendor section.      On mine, I used sections of garage door springs and trampoline springs until I got the desired lift assist.  I attached mine to a rod that clips into the mid tach-a-matic.

IMG_1876 (640x480).jpg

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 8
  • Excellent 1

JAinVA

Glen also has the flag with the lift spring clip welded to it.He has  an amazing line of replacement parts available and I for one would highly recommend his products.If you decide to get the parts you describe then the spring attaches to the flag and front foot rest crossbar.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 7

JimmyJam

Thanks JAinVA & Ed Kennell! Too funny: as you guys were typing your replies; I went to Glen's website to look for choke/throttle knobs....I saw the lift assist springs. I wondered if they were the correct ones. Thanks Guys! I was once told trampoline springs work, but I don't own one, so I have no idea of their size etc. Now JAinVA, you say that the spring attaches to the flag to the ??? front foot rest crossbar??? Where is that? Do you mean the crossbar that the seat pan/fenders attach to?

• Like 1

JAinVA

There are two flag styles.One has no provision for spring attachment and the other has a clip welded to it so that the spring can be hooked to it.This point would be at base of the flag.Just aft of the engine and at the front of the foot rest there is a 3/4" bar that is welded to the frame.This bar is what the front part of the footrest sits on.This bar is where the other end of the spring is hooked.The attachment point on the flag would have an eyebolt and nut attached to it and the spring  is hooked to the eye.By adjusting the nut on the eyebolt the amount of tension on the spring can be adjusted. Hope this makes sense but if I confused anyone the blower manual helps.JAinVA

• Like 4

JimmyJam

Thanks JAinVA! My flag has an eyebolt attached. I totally understand where you mean about the front foot rest bar. Unfortunately the manual I have only says that the assist spring is an optional item, but no mention of where the spring attaches too. You made the instructions a whole lot understandable. Thanks again!

• Like 3

JAinVA

While we are on the subject of snow blowers. I found that once the blower is off the tractor if you leave the flag attached to the lift mechanism and tie it to mower deck lift it makes remounting the blower much easier.

• Like 4

JimmyJam

Great idea! I have a winter WH (Electro 12++ mutt) tractor that I swap out between plow and snow-blower. That idea would be so helpful. My other WH ('74 B-80 "Princess") has the mower deck. She only romps around in the winter on sunny days to get "er oats out" LOL!

• Like 2

W9JAB

I did this to my blower, found a spring at ACE, not much different from a "hobby Horse" spring hooked one side on the cross bar and drilled a 1/4" hole on the lift bar. It work fine. I do like the twin spring set up.

Edited by W9JAB
spelling
  • Like 4

Walt

Not sure if Glen Pettit sells the flags but I know Lowell does at Wheelhorseman1000.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Yes, we have those 'exact replacement' Springs, they are extra strong (in Venders section).

Also, two of the Hardware Store Springs will certainly work, together, probably almost as well as the heavy original.

Lowell Scholljegerdes in MN is making the "Flags", and a lot of other 'hard-to-find' WH parts, also check his 

listing of all of the replacement parts he has down in the Venders section   ( or www.WheelHorseMan1000.com).

Glen

• Like 7

JAinVA

Sorry for the confusion I was looking on the the wrong vendors page.My recommendations still stand and it extends to wheelhorseman1000 as well.I know I have gotten great products from you both.Again my apologies.JAinVA

• Like 1

W9JAB

www.WheelHorseMan1000.com).

Very cool site,reasonable pricing for hard to get parts.

• Like 2

SPINJIM

Do a search under 'Implements' for "flag", and go to my entry of January 16, 2016.   I shows pictures of you how to modify the flag without the tab for the spring.   I used it for my snowthower last year, and it worked great.  Other end of spring is attached to cross bar for the front edge of the footrest.  I bought the spring on ebay, but maybe from the same seller as on this site.    I tried to 'drag' the entry, but couldn't.

Good luck,  Jim

Correction:  I got my spring from Glen Pettit.    Fast service, and it worked great.

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 1

JAinVA

Jim I think you are correct about the ones listed on E-bay.They  most likely  are from him, as are most of the new specialty  items that are listed there.If you go straight to his site the prices there are lower plus he uses Pay-Pal so its just as convenient, he doesn't have to deal with the fees and passes the savings on.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

JimmyJam

Still on the subject of snowblowers... as for the lift arm, where is the best (optimal) rock shaft hole to use? Manual sez 1st hole. Is that the lowest hole? Is it the top hole? Some use other holes. My lowest hole is too tiny for the snow-blower pin, so I chose the middle hole. Tough to raise manually. Suggestions?

SPINJIM

Need to use the upper hole on the lift arm to get less resistance to lifting.   You should be able to find the Owner's Manual for your plow under 'Manuals' on this site.

Jim

• Like 4

JAinVA

I believe its the top hole.I had the blower on the 416-8 last winter without the lift spring and I had no issue in lifting the blower.I'm in my 60s and am not all that big.I have the blower on the 416H this year because it is better suited to the task and lifting is effortless.Try the top hole.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

JimmyJam

Oh. Ok. I thought the manual said 1st hole; to me I thought that meant lowest hole. My bad. I will switch it out tomorrow morning and try it out. Thanks!

• Like 1

JAinVA

Don't be shy about the outcome. JAinVA

• Like 1

JimmyJam

May make a world of difference! It is taking me two hands on the manual lift to lift that heavy snow-blower on the lowest hole.  Top Hole. Lift assist spring attached. We will see. Now help me out here with the lift assist spring: Should I adjust the eye-bolt (spring tension) with the snow blower in the complete "down" position or "Raised" position?

SPINJIM

It's easier to adjust it in the 'raised' position, then lower it and try it out.   Trial & error.   Owner's manual says 1 1/2" from end of eye bolt, but I found 2" to be better for the snowblower.    

The assist spring makes a big difference for the first few inches of lift, but after that you're lifting too much weight with no 'assist'.    Most of the time I only need to lift the unit a few inches, not all the way up.    So I cut a new notch in the slide for the lift arm.   It locks into place with the unit about 3" off the ground.

Jim

WH lift slide 002.jpg

• Like 4

JAinVA

Neat trick Jim.The blower is something that can be lifted by  hand away from the tractor.I stuff blocks under the cutting edge  for support to make adjustments.In fact I need to adjust the wheels on my blower to give 1/2" clearance.Thanks for the reminder

Edited by JAinVA

wheelhorseman
3 hours ago, JAinVA said:

I believe its the top hole.I had the blower on the 416-8 last winter without the lift spring and I had no issue in lifting the blower.I'm in my 60s and am not all that big.I have the blower on the 416H this year because it is better suited to the task and lifting is effortless.Try the top hole.

3 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Need to use the upper hole on the lift arm to get less resistance to lifting.   You should be able to find the Owner's Manual for your plow under 'Manuals' on this site.

Jim

This should help.

IMG_3454.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

JimmyJam

Thanks Lowell. That drawing puts things in perspective.

• Like 2