cschannuth

Ready for Missouri Ice Storm

DougC

In southern Iowa we are forecast to have approx 1/4 inch ice Sunday night into Monday around noon the temps above freezing. We will have it easy here I think compared to you all south of me. My generator is ready and my gas cans are full. I hope none of us need to use them. 

Good luck guys!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JAinVA

T-Mo seems to be off line.I hope that's by choice.

• Like 1

TDF5G
9 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

T-Mo seems to be off line.I hope that's by choice.

Yes I wondered that too.  I just checked radar and they are getting it in the southern St Louis area and across the mid-south portion of the state.  It looks like we are in the clear here in KC for today. May get it later tonight and tomorrow. 

• Like 1

cschannuth

It's been raining/drizzling off and on in east central MO since about 10 am.  It's been in the low to mid 20's all day.  That's not a great combination.  Luckily I was able to get home early today.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

So far nothing here in Oklahoma yet...weather is saying it should move in sometime around 10 tonight and last all day tomorrow and big part of Sunday...stay safe everyone and update us when you can 

• Like 1

JAinVA

Anyone heard from T-MO? It seems he has stopped transmitting.Hope he and all of you are okay

• Like 2

cschannuth
11 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Anyone heard from T-MO? It seems he has stopped transmitting.Hope he and all of you are okay

I saw on the news that there are power outages in his general area.  I don't know how close to him or if he was affected or not.

• Like 3

JAinVA

Thanks for the update.I really feel for you guys. My reference to the Titanic  is one of being in the life boat and seeing the lights go out one by one.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

RandyLittrell

South of KC, in Harrisonville,Mo checking in bone dry! Some people get there britches in a bunch if the weatherman gets it wrong, but people would want to lynch them if they got it wrong the other way. Much better to have everybody be prepared and the kids home safe! 

Shame on me, I didn't check the generator till I got home tonight and can't get it started. I guess I will drag it out to the shop tomorrow and see what it needs. 

Hope T-Mo and you other guys to the south east are OK. I am lucky that I live 2 blocks from the firestation, we are the first ones to get our power back. 

Be safe guys!!

Randy

• Like 2

JAinVA

Randy,

I hope it works that way for you.Last we had my friend who lives 1500 ft from the local hospital thought the same. They came into his neighborhood and cut all the downed lines and told him he would not see power for a week.They were true to their word.

RandyLittrell
5 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Randy,

I hope it works that way for you.Last we had my friend who lives 1500 ft from the local hospital thought the same. They came into his neighborhood and cut all the downed lines and told him he would not see power for a week.They were true to their word.

For the last 24 years it has been that way, but obviously it could change at any time. I am normally very prepared, not sure way I hadn't checked the generator in a while. I did run the one out to the shop within the last 2 months. My shop is 8 miles from my house. Just a DOH  moment I guess. 

I am not a prepper by any means, but we keep enough dry and canned goods to last a month or so. Hopefully we will never need to!!

Randy

JAinVA

Randy I hope it works out for you and yours.I am not a prepper but I saw things during the last ice storm here that made me very leery.Dozens of people lined up at the local convenience store to get 5 gallons of kerosene to heat their homes.After no power for a week one guy lost it and drove his car through the front of the local power company office demanding they turn the power back on as they led him handcuffed to the jail.Having seen those things I have very real concerns for the folks this storm will effect.Tornados are really bad as are hurricanes but a storm that has this potential for widespread damage is a nightmare to me and I am not even affected.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

HuntzNSam

And if s**t happens, keep your head.  Major pucker!

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Still not much here yet, but we are starting to feel a bit more moisture in the air so I have a feeling it won't be much longer.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Your right Jim, peoples behavior in even minor emergencies around the country scare me. They lose their mind!

Disasters don't worry me much, its the people that scare me. God help us if it ever gets very serious but I am capable and willing to protect those I care about if needed. I just pray it never happens!!

Randy

• Like 2

JAinVA

Randy I have been harping on this subject for two days now.I have other things to do but I feel that if you or others have not been through an event like this it can take its toll in ways not imagined.You may have city water to depend on .I hope so.If you don't how do you keep the water flowing to keep the pipes from freezing?How do you cook food or store it for that matter with no power?You get the idea.I remember the folks around here bitchin that they lost so much food because they had no refridgerator in subfreezing temperatures.Duh.The one thing good at least for the folks here is that they have  a support group and they seem to have some common sense and skills.They wil be tested I'm afraid.Be safe.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

T-Mo

Thanks, guys, for your concern.  I was off line by choice, fortunately.  We haven't lost power yet and hasn't been doing any precip here for hours, but it's supposed to start again sometime this morning.  Temps may get over freezing for a short period of time today, but then it's supposed to turn colder again.  Heaviest stuff is predicted for early Sunday morning.  But for now, all is good.  Sorry I didn't get back online until now, but got busy on other things.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looks crazy on the jersey news. Be safe, be carefull.

Glenn

TDF5G

Looks like we survived here.  We got about 1/4" or so.  I stayed in most of the weekend.  I'm sure tired of eating bread and milk though.

:P

• Like 1