cschannuth

Ready for Missouri Ice Storm

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Yes people, stay safe please.. your well prepared, best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 6

T-Mo

Craig,

Nice generator setup you have.  And yes, be safe.  It's supposed to hit in my area before it gets up to you there in Hermann.  So far, nothing at 4 am.

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Here's hoping that you can swap that generator for a plow or blower and have some :wh: seat time removing snow instead of watching your gas gauge go down generating power!!! It would be awfully boring sitting on your :wh: watching the generator run - seat time just wouldn't be the same!!! :banana-skier:

Stay safe!

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:wh: looks so good.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Be safe my friends. 

• Like 2

dclarke

Good luck and be safe, Craig. It's supposed to be here later in the day. 

• Like 2

T-Mo

Update, it's been freezing rain here since around 4:30 or so.  Very, very light at the moment and so far the highway is just wet, but my truck is iced over.  28 degrees still.

• Like 3

cschannuth
22 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Update, it's been freezing rain here since around 4:30 or so.  Very, very light at the moment and so far the highway is just wet, but my truck is iced over.  28 degrees still.

It looks like some areas are getting some fairly heavy showers that of course is freezing when it's the surface. If that keeps up it will really be treacherous. Everybody be careful out there. 

• Like 5

T-Mo

Looks like a small patch of snow in St. Francois county, which is just over a half a mile east of me.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Everyone affected by the storm this weekend stay safe. We are supposed to get ice this weekend here in Oklahoma too. According to the weather ours isn't supposed to start until later this evening and last most of the weekend. Getting ready to run out to the farm and bring the welding trailer to town just in case we need the generator. A :wh: generator setup would be nice, but for now I guess the old Lincoln will have to do

• Like 3

TDF5G

They are preaching an ice-apocalypse here on the news.  KC area is under storm warning from noon today until midnight Sunday.  I've heard all the "stores out of milk and bread" stories too.  I think a lot of folks over react to this stuff sometimes.  I know there's a chance the power can go out but it's only gonna last for a couple of days.  

I know y'all south of us are supposed to get it worse.

Everyone stay safe and stay home if you can.  We will survive it!

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3

T-Mo

Back in 2006, some folks were without power for a week and a half up to 2 weeks.  I'm just praying that we don't lose power, basically that no one loses power.  I do think some people over react, but it's better to be too prepared than under prepared at times.

• Like 4

JAinVA

You guys stay safe.By the forecast models it looks like a lot of states will be affected.If that happens you guys will be seeing line crew trucks from all over the country.My guess is from past experiances by the time you see them you will want to hug a lineman.Those guys and gals deserve a big thank you.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

T-Mo

Jim, I agree.  They venture out into some of the nastiest weather so we can go onto Red Square and whine, complain, and just yak away at the state of Wheel Horses, among various other things.

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Three years ago we got slammed with an ice storm when we were living in far SE Oklahoma. We were out of power for 16 days, so yes it never hurts to be prepared. A local storm chaser took these pictures of our local Wal-Mart yesterday morning

Screenshot_2017-01-13-10-07-25.png

Edited by Professor1990
Forgot the picture
  • Like 4

JAinVA

One of the really bad things about an ice storm is that the power lines themselves aren't the only things damaged.I have seen mile after mile of poles snapped off.So before the lines get put up all those poles need to be replaced.Trust me if you have ever been through a bad ice storm you can't be over prepared.If you haven't been through one well you may be in for a shock.I hope no one ever sees one.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

T-Mo
11 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

I hope no one ever sees one.

Amen!

• Like 1

TDF5G
11 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

One of the really bad things about an ice storm is that the power lines themselves aren't the only things damaged.I have seen mile after mile of poles snapped off.So before the lines get put up all those poles need to be replaced.Trust me if you have ever been through a bad ice storm you can't be over prepared.If you haven't been through one well you may be in for a shock.I hope no one ever sees one.

Yep.  The last time power was out at our place, a vehicle slid off the road and took out a utility pole.  That was many years ago. They had it repaired in a couple of hours.

• Like 1

JAinVA

I live in a rural part of the county and the house sits here in the woods.For many days after the rain stopped all you could hear were the gensets running and the completely random limbs snapping off.The limbs crashing was an eerie sound.It is something that sticks in your memory.Ageed one pole can be easily  and quickly replaced.How long will it take with tree removal,

ice covered roads and thousands of poles down?Something to contemplate.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

elliot ness

Nice  outfit . I got my generator running yesterday, Hope we don't need it.

• Like 3

TDF5G

This pic a buddy of mine took at WalMart in Columbia MO last evening.  :o  He said they were running all checkout lines too.

15977451_10208048921052591_2345569556989647429_n.jpg

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3

JAinVA

You guys in the affected area remind me of the wireless operators on the Titanic.As long as you post somewhere on Red Square we know you're okay.If you go dark we get concerned.Good luck to you all,JAinVA

• Like 4

T-Mo

Well, Jim, I'm still okay.  Working from home, sitting behind my laptop with a cup of coffee, commiserating with the Red Square crowd while I periodically go outside to see what the weather is doing......Ain't life good!

• Like 4

JAinVA

T-Mo ,Thanks for the reply.Keep transmitting as long as you can.

• Like 3

TDF5G

We are still dry in KC MO.  

40 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

T-Mo ,Thanks for the reply.Keep transmitting as long as you can.

:text-yeahthat:  Let us know what the weather is doing there.

I just saw this pic on Facebook.  :lol:

15965131_1133942570050546_7764446876931037698_n.jpg

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2