wrmhaste

"Angry Horse" (4x4)

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:     I am a bit curious about your plan to coordinate the speeds of two hydros.    :confusion-confused:

This build has so much going on that it deserves way more :text-coolphotos:  of the front drive system.     :text-bravo:

• Like 4

wrmhaste

They will be linked together by heavy cable. Just like choke and throttle cable. And of course adjustable. I have many more pics but they are currently trapped on a phone that doesnt like to cooperate. I know i have pics of building the pivot point and also seeing just how far it will pivot. 

• Like 4

ACman

Awesome job and project B) !

Check these guys out for push,pull cables http://www.midwestcontrol.com and other parts I'm sure you could use on this cool project :) !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

We need more pictures . What motor are you going to use.

• Like 1

wrmhaste
6 hours ago, ACman said:

Awesome job and project B) !

Check these guys out for push,pull cables http://www.midwestcontrol.com and other parts I'm sure you could use on this cool project :) !

I have a friend that owns a small engine repair shop so I just order anything I'm looking for through them. That is a good site though.  Have you ever heard of the surplus center?  

• Like 1

wrmhaste
10 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

We need more pictures . What motor are you going to use.

I'm not sure why the reply didn't post last night but I will have more pics soon and I'm hunting for a m16 single cylinder but I'll probly throw a 12 on as a temporary

wrmhaste

Ok guys got some more progress.  It now steers. Quite well to my surprise.  

248.jpeg

249.jpeg

250.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

meadowfield

Awesome, great to see another 4x4 project

wrmhaste

Thanks I'm trying.  It's very slow going. I don't have a lot of time to work on it. It's been a very fun build so far though.  As soon as it is operational I'm going to start building the plow for it.  I'm thinking of a 60" hydraulic v plow with down pressure.  

• Like 2

Digger 66

Not knocking it by any means ...NICE WORK !

But , I hope you have plenty of those Oil-lite bushings ( for the king-pins ) on hand .

wrmhaste

Thanks and I'm all for criticism. Helps get better ideas floating around.  I know there will be weak links here and there. I do agree that those probly will be the first. There isn't any bushings though.  Those are thick wall machinist sleeves with 3/4" solid round going through them.  They will be getting grease fittings.  

• Like 4

Digger 66
9 hours ago, wrmhaste said:

They will be getting grease fittings.  

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:    You are tackling a project that most of us wouldn't even consider attempting.  :text-bravo:

Not being an engineer I can't say this is necessary, but it seems to me that some triangulation of the steering pivot points will be needed. There will be a lot of torque applied when turning and it could be an area that could fail.

1 angry horse.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wrmhaste

Thanks,  it's the challenge that keeps me motivated, well that and having a really cool machine at the end.  And good call on the steering pivots being weak.  I never thought of that. That's going to give my brain something to work on while I'm at work this week.  Next big challenge is shift linkage and belt routing.  

• Like 2

Sarge

I'd add a triangular plate to the top of the axle housing , the area where you currently have the king pins - use that plate to add a couple of welded arms to support front/rear loading against the king pins .

How do you plan to tackle the belt drive itself ?

Sarge

• Like 1

wrmhaste

That's kinda what I was thinking for extra support.  The drive belt is going to be a bit tricky.  I plan to use one belt with at minimum 2 spring loaded tensioners. Also I will have a few idlers to keep the belt on the front pump while still allowing it to pivot. It's basically going to be trial and error after I set a motor on it. Hopefully more trial than error

953 nut
4 hours ago, wrmhaste said:

big challenge is shift linkage

This is what I am most concerned about, the two hydros being in synchronization with each other has me thinking, but haven't got a good answer.

wrmhaste

Getting it perfect might be tough.  I'm thinking if I get them very close then have one be slightly variable by involving a spring, similar to a governor/throttle setup, it should move free enough to find the path of least resistance and compensate.  That's the initial plan at the moment anyways

953 nut
3 hours ago, wrmhaste said:

Getting it perfect might be tough.

:text-yeahthat:       While in high school I worked part time at a service station; low budget operation but we did a little of everything. The service truck was an old Dodge Power Wagon which had miss matched tires on it, they weren't off by much, (7.50 X 16 front and 8.00 X 16 rear if i recall correctly) perhaps an inch taller in the rear. It pulled great in mud or snow but was a bucking bronco if all four tires got traction at the same time. Had to take it out of 4 wheel drive to keep it from self-destructing.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

wrmhaste
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:       While in high school I worked part time at a service station; low budget operation but we did a little of everything. The service truck was an old Dodge Power Wagon which had miss matched tires on it, they weren't off by much, (7.50 X 16 front and 8.00 X 16 rear if i recall correctly) perhaps an inch taller in the rear. It pulled great in mud or snow but was a bucking bronco if all four tires got traction at the same time. Had to take it out of 4 wheel drive to keep it from self-destructing.

Those power wagons were awesome!  It may have felt like it was going to explode but I would bet a drive shaft or u joint would go before that transfer case.  Most of them were cast iron and weighed a ton

• Like 1

HorseHead1089

This is basically what i designed on paper myself!  great minds think alike! however mine involved a manual transmission front and rear, and mounting the front axle like project c4 on the axle tube/ bolting it to the new steering knuckle support that slides over the axle tube.  I am interested in how you were able to cuff the axle housing because it is tapered... did you just slide a square tube all the way up until it stopped? how do you keep it from wobbling? also could we get some close up on the front steering knuckles and universals? Nice Build! I hope to join the 4x4 club in a few years!

squonk

Perhaps a viscous coupling or 2 to combat the axles winding up and making it a bucking Bronco. 

wrmhaste
On 1/30/2017 at 4:15 PM, HorseHead1089 said:

This is basically what i designed on paper myself!  great minds think alike! however mine involved a manual transmission front and rear, and mounting the front axle like project c4 on the axle tube/ bolting it to the new steering knuckle support that slides over the axle tube.  I am interested in how you were able to cuff the axle housing because it is tapered... did you just slide a square tube all the way up until it stopped? how do you keep it from wobbling? also could we get some close up on the front steering knuckles and universals? Nice Build! I hope to join the 4x4 club in a few years!

I actually took two pieces of c channel and welded them together to match the taper. There was a lot of grinding and there will be much more.  I'm still not happy with how boxy the hubs look. That can wait till after testing though.  I'll get some better pics soon.