Brewer

Question on electrical switch 312-8

pfrederi

If you pulled the blue wire off the M terminal of the ignition switch and it cranked and had fire then the problem is somewhere in the safety switches. I have no idea why youhave to jiggle the switch.

Brewer

Yes I dont jiggle it..I just back it off enought to touch another contact within the switch I believe thats the case..And I just now at the switch crossed the red bat wire to the blue wires and it fires up perfectly..so yes has to be some saftey issue or this oil switch which I still dont see..let me check this post here on that switch. If I just pull it off it still is not doing correctly..the blue wire that is..but if I cross red to it then it does great. sorry Im wrong the blue wire is not connected, I just put a wire from the red, cross it to where the blue wire at switch is disconnected then it starts up great.

Edited by Brewer

pfrederi

What happened when you tested the switches for continuity. Did the readings change when you "backed off".  The switch only has three positions In Start there is continuity between battery and starter terminals when you release it that should become open.  Then you would have continuity between battery and R and A terminals When you "back off" do you lose that continuity?  Finally in Off mode Only continuity is between Ground and M. 

Edit...How much do you have to move the switch when you "Back OFF"

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Brewer

Thanks for the oil switch PDF..Im not seeing one on my engine..apparently it has been done away with and someone just left the wires seperated.

About an 1/8" or little more. I have the old switch and new switch and they both do the same thing when I test..So I just dont think its in switch..Not 100% yet but thinking its in the wiring or saftey.

Edited by Brewer

pfrederi

The Lt and dark blue wires at the oil pressure should be connected.  You need to wire each safety switch as it would be for start/ run.  Just follow the individual wiring charts. 

This 1/8th inch movement in eh switch does it change the continuity reading for that positron?

Brewer

Im going over some more here..see what I come up with.

953 nut
20 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

The low oil switch only affects the starter circuit

Garry, you are the best!    :thanks:

6 hours ago, Brewer said:

Is the oil switch the problem?

From what Garry said I would not bother with the oil switch, he knows so much more about these later model :wh: than I do, thanks Garry

Brewer

The oil sending switch is not even on this engine..something I just discovored is the Dk green wire that goes to the light switch according to my volt meter is a ground..yet it has 2 other black wires going to the light switch also that is a ground..so something is grounding out with that power wire for sure..because the Dk green wire goes back through a fuse..its crazy that its not blowing the fuse..? Acording to a continuity test the dark green is grounded at the wires coming up to switch and at the lights .

gwest_ca

Is it possible the switch is operating normally?

If the switch was mounted in the dash panel and you go to start it the switch would turn and operate the starter before you got to the full turn where it does not operate.

Just thinking out loud here.

Garry

Brewer

both my switches do the same thing..one is a new one..

Brewer

So if i put a meter on this thing at its hour meter both post are grounded yet not popping fuses..dk green powers the lights which goes through the fuse and pink to the hour meter off the dk green. then goes to the volt meter..theres also a orange wire going into the the same fuse which that goes back to the hour meter..diagram dont show a orange wire going into the fuse here.Thought the diagram Ive got would help..But Im thinking the scrap yard is the way to go here..getting frustrated.

gwest_ca

If you are using the ohmmeter portion of the multimeter to determine whether the wires are grounded or not it will show continuity to both sides of the gauge and to ground. The + side is getting it's ground through the meter and called a high impedence ground. It does not overload the fuse because the gauge is a legitimate load.

Switch the multimeter to DC volt and turn the key to the RUN position. Now test for battery voltage at the gauge (+) with the ground lead on the battery (-) post. Now move the ground lead to the gauge (-) terminal. Should have the same reading if the ground wires are good.

Garry

Brewer

Ok I will try and see..But I was just using the beep out on the meter.

Brewer

Question..Make sure I looking at this correct on the diagram..It says no contacts open when pto disengaged..and no contacts closed when pto disengaged..So open means the contacts are not touching..And closed means they are touching correct? Or is it vise versa?

Edited by Brewer

gwest_ca

That's correct.

The normally means the switch at rest.

One pair of contacts are open - not connected and one pair are closed

If the pto is engaged that reverses.

One half of the ptio switch controls the starter.

The other half controls the ignition.

Garry