JAinVA

Ice storm

JAinVA

It looks as those in the mid west are going to get hit with an ice storm.I have been through hurricanes,tornadoes and ice storms.To me tornadoes scare the hel# out of me but during the last ice storm here I knew I was going to the ER.I would not wish an ice storm on my worst enemy.You guys in the northeast have seen them.Any stories?

• Like 3

T-Mo

It looks like I'm right smack dab in the middle of the predicted ice storm area.  They're calling for up to a half an inch of ice in my area.  It that happens I won't be able to get online for probably a few days, which is bad enough, but that also means no electric.  Also, my daughter works tonight, she's an RN in Festus and has to drive home, the 30 miles tomorrow morning.  She gets off shift at 7:15 am.  They're calling for this stuff after midnight tonight.  She isn't scheduled to work tomorrow night, or she could just stay there tomorrow.  Please pray for her and all who have to drive in this stuff.  And pray it either doesn't develop the way the forecasters are predicting or not at all.

• Like 3

JC 1965

Sure hope that ice storm changes in some way to help you out. Maybe your daughter should just stay at work until the road crews get a chance to treat the roads. She would be safer there than stranded on the road or maybe involved in an accident. Either way prayers just sent your way for the best solution. 

• Like 2

T-Mo

Thanks, JC.  I know if she was working tomorrow night, she could stay at the hospital.  I don't know about whether or not she can stay since she's supposed to off tomorrow night. I have a feeling, though, her relief may not make it in and she would have to stay there anyways.  I agree, staying there is much more practical than risking it on the ice.

Docwheelhorse

It has been awhile since a serious ice storm has hit CT... but I remember them and boy they can damage a lot from wires to trees to not being able to get anywhere....

Good Luck to all involved and I would tell your daughter to stay at the Hospital... they may need extra hands and I'm sure she can find a place to sleep. We know they have good food too.

Tony

• Like 2

dclarke

Looks like it's headed my way too, T-Mo but I don't think we're supposed to get as much ice as you are.  Glad I have a generator but hope I don't need it. 

• Like 2

JAinVA

We had our last ice storm here about 15 years ago.We lived off the generator for 7days.It was right at Christmas.Hope everyone stays safe.

Achto

18 degrees and raining made my 35 mile drive home from work interesting yesterday. A trip that normally takes 40 to 45 min took me an hour & 30 min.

This is not the worst I've seen though, a quite a few years ago I stepped out of my house on to the lawn & fell flat on my back. The grass was a solid sheet of ice. At that point I would have loved to go back in the house & call in to work. Unfortunately the reason I was leaving the house was to go on a call with a tow truck. I put tire chains all around on the tow truck and spent most of my day removing cars from the ditch. Two people (wearing cleats on their shoes) could actually push a parked car sideways because it was so slippery. I don't have any fear of bad weather driving, but that was one day when people should've just stayed home.

We had some rain & cold weather on Tues. that caused the excitement in this clip from a dash cam in Oshkosh WI. This happened on a Hwy I travel every day. Thankfully there were no serious injuries.

Edited by achto
  • Like 4

oldlineman

I am praying for all. Please remember those that have to work in these times fireman, law enforcement, service people and Lineman that are out there trying to get the power back on. I did that for 41 years, saw some very bad storms and they are very dangerous for all who have to endure and work in them. Bob Blough

• Like 3

JAinVA

Wow.By the looks of it the driver of that truck pulled off the roadway to check his shorts.

Edited by JAinVA

Achto
4 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Wow.By the looks of it the driver of that truck pulled off the roadway to check his shorts.

That's what I would have had to do, if I were him. Not sure if it was luck, skill, or both that kept him up right.

Edited by achto

mmmmmdonuts

Nice topic JAinVA.

When I was in college we had a huge ice storm right during finals in early December. Trees and power lines were down everywhere especially some that didn’t drop all their leaves yet. The storm left about ½” of ice everywhere locally. I was very envious of the people an hour or so west of us that got hit with mostly snow. This storm had very distinct bands of rain, ice and snow.  

All the other local colleges cancelled the finals because most of the schools were without power for days. My house I lived in had no power for 9 days and we were just running water constantly so the pipes so the pipes wouldn’t freeze. We ran a few kerosene heater’s but it didn’t do much in the 200 year old house.

My friends 3 story house that they rented and normally had 10 people living there now had upwards of 20-25 people living there for finals as they only lost power for a few hours. Lucky the school (or unfortunately for us) had its’ own grid and backup system so power and heat were there to take the exams and people were practically living in the student union and the library, along with piggy backing in dorm rooms.

Most of my friends and I needless to say had a very poor finals experience that semester.

Give me a foot or two of snow anytime rather than an ice storm.

Good luck with the storm.

T-Mo, good luck with your daughter. Tell her drive slow and be very careful.

Edited by mmmmmdonuts
  • Like 2

dcrage

I am 50 miles NE of T-MO. Last time I watched it looked like we don't have a chance of missing this stuff. I HATE ice storms. Especially when/if we lose power.

Last big ice storm with big time power outages was like 10 years ago. The weird thing about that was the following summer there were terrible thunder storms which caused equally severe power outages with the added benefit of 100 deg temps afterwards. Lots of stories of lost refrigerated food. 

Edited by dcrage
  • Like 2

Wishin4a416

I would rather see 2 feet of snow other than 1/8 inch of Ice. Hate it. We are in the outskirts of the forecast path. I hope all in the direct path stay safe and stay in if possible.

• Like 1

6wheeler

I feel your pain out there. Hopefully, it won't be that bad. The last 3 out of 4 storms we have had here have been freezing rain. If we had snow instead? We would have 20 plus inches on the ground. instead? 4" of snow on top of an inch of ice. My son rolled his car on Dec.27th. Less than 1/8 of a mile from home. We had 1 and 1/2 inches of rain that day w/20 degree temps. My folks 200 miles northwest of me got 22 inches of snow that weekend. Since then? We have had close to 3/4" of rain and 4 inches of snow.  15 to 20 below 0 (act.air temp) tonight with 35 below 0 windchill. I can barely walk down to do chores after work. But, the animals gotta eat. Going to be fun hauling concrete tomorrow. You folks down there in MO. could send us some warm air to melt this ice. Good Luck folks. Drive slow and careful.

• Like 1

T-Mo
10 hours ago, dcrage said:

I am 50 miles NE of T-MO. Last time I watched it looked like we don't have a chance of missing this stuff. I HATE ice storms. Especially when/if we lose power.

Last big ice storm with big time power outages was like 10 years ago. The weird thing about that was the following summer there were terrible thunder storms which caused equally severe power outages with the added benefit of 100 deg temps afterwards. Lots of stories of lost refrigerated food. 

That was 2006.  We lost power for a few days that summer due to a thunderstorm, and then November 30 due to the ice storm.  Dave Murray of Fox2News says this one shouldn't have the impact of the ice storm of 2006.  We'll see.  So far nothing to report at 4:15 am this morning.

T-Mo

It's starting to rain and it's 28 degrees right now.

T-Mo

All, my daughter made it home a few minutes ago.  Roads are just wet so far.

• Like 2

JC 1965

Thank goodness she is safe at home now. Prayers still coming your way.      

• Like 1

T-Mo

Thanks, JC.  Both my son-in-laws are working today.  Both are at work, but may not make it home.  One is a police officer and he may have an interesting day, and I pray a safe one.  I'm praying, first on accidents or anyone gets hurt out on the ice today, second no one loses power, and mainly the forecasters are wrong and it will quit, for good, soon.  They're predicting waves of freezing rain until Sunday.

dcrage

11:00 AM. Just got word that my daughter made it home from her work in DeSoto MO back to Festus MO. (For you non Missourians this is the county just south of St Louis and apparently the worst location for road issues so far; lots of traffic meeting the ice coming from the south.)  My sidewalks and decks were coated at 7:00 AM. Haven't heard if my SIL has made it home and my younger daughter is scheduled to fly out of Mid American airport at 5:00 PM for a 3 day trip to FLA. (Retiree update: SIL didn't have to go to work today.  Younger daughter's flight got cancelled, she is sitting at her appt for the weekend.)

Life of a retiree. Sitting around waiting to hear how are kids are coping. 

Edited by dcrage
  • Like 2

T-Mo

It's sleeting now, coming down pretty hard and heavy.  I don't know how this will effect the potential for power outages, but I doubt if it will help things any.

JAinVA

one I thought this thread was retired.From some of the comments in todays post on this subject it sounds like some are taking a cavalier attitude to this event.You can afford to have if you have never lived through a bad one but the attitude will change forever if you get a really bad one.  dcrage I really like your comment about waiting on updates for the kids condition.I believe that is a universal condition for all parents,kinda what we signed up for even if we didn't know it at the time the order was placed.Guys stay safe and warm.

Edited by JAinVA

bmsgaffer

I had to come check in here as i just read that a 33 yr old woman was killed in an accident near festus. Its so very sad. I am glad to see that everyones family on here is safe so far.

Good luck everyone and stay safe!

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Sad deal. I worked way to many bad accident during weather like this, both as a volunteer firefighter and as a wrecker operator. Everyone affected by this storm please be safe out there. If you can stay inside and out of it, and if circumstances require you to be out in it, please use extra caution and stay safe.