T-Mo

She Wants to Start

ClassicTractorProfessor

If it will run and the transmission is good, throw a seat on it and she'll make a good worker, maybe a rough one :ychain: but still a good worker. I've seen ones in a lot worse shape brought back to life. I've got a 701 in the shed right now that I'm slowly trying to put back together. And believe me it was ROUGH when it jumped on the trailer lol. Good luck Terry hope she comes to life in the near future

Edited by Professor1990
  • Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Terry This looks like a great worker for you. It is fun trying to figure them out. Enjoy the project.

• Like 2

953 nut

Just keep trying, it wants to live again!

Image result for perseverance

• Like 1

T-Mo

Thanks guys, for the encouraging words.  When I first bought it, I wasn't impressed with it and saw it more as a parts tractor.  But after bringing it home and getting to know it better, it's growing on me.  If it will start and drive okay, it might get the 42 inch front blade that currently resides on the 702.

Other than the discharge chute having a weld, the deck shell appears to be in good shape.  I haven't really check to see if the spindles are nice and tight, and spins freely yet.

T-Mo

Spent more time on the B yesterday.  Lost spark somehow, so I have to trouble shoot that now.  Anyways, I cleaned her up a bit, and pull off the leaky gas tank.  I think it's leaking from the bushing where the valve goes through.  A couple of questions on that, first here is what my setup looks like.  I can't tell from the parts diagram if this is original.  So, can someone there me if this is original or an aftermarket shut off valve?  Second, I'm assuming the valve is just pressed into the bushing, and if not, how does the valve come out without damaging the plastic tank?  The tank itself looks to be in good shape with no cracks, so I don't want to damage it when the valve and bushing is removed and replaced.

Now I need to do some research on what I should be seeing at the coil and points to trouble shoot the no spark issue.  Wednesday I had spark, so maybe an intermittent problem.

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
8 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Spent more time on the B yesterday.  Lost spark somehow, so I have to trouble shoot that now.  Anyways, I cleaned her up a bit, and pull off the leaky gas tank.  I think it's leaking from the bushing where the valve goes through.  A couple of questions on that, first here is what my setup looks like.  I can't tell from the parts diagram if this is original.  So, can someone there me if this is original or an aftermarket shut off valve?  Second, I'm assuming the valve is just pressed into the bushing, and if not, how does the valve come out without damaging the plastic tank?  The tank itself looks to be in good shape with no cracks, so I don't want to damage it when the valve and bushing is removed and replaced.

Now I need to do some research on what I should be seeing at the coil and points to trouble shoot the no spark issue.  Wednesday I had spark, so maybe an intermittent problem.

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-gas-tank-Grommet-and-Shut-off-valve-Generators-Craftsman-Coleman-Generac-/131563480318?hash=item1ea1cb64fe:g:IEgAAOSwgQ9VsmBB     this here is what you need. they are universal. i bought one from local repair shop for workhorse 700 and my gt1642.

• Like 1

T-Mo
28 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-gas-tank-Grommet-and-Shut-off-valve-Generators-Craftsman-Coleman-Generac-/131563480318?hash=item1ea1cb64fe:g:IEgAAOSwgQ9VsmBB     this here is what you need. they are universal. i bought one from local repair shop for workhorse 700 and my gt1642.

Thanks.

I have 12 plus volts going to the coil, but the test of the coil shows it's not working.  Further troubleshooting must be done to rule out other things, but I am getting juice to the coil, so safety switches aren't an issue.

953 nut
1 hour ago, T-Mo said:

12 plus volts going to the coil, but the test of the coil shows it's not working.  Further troubleshooting must be done to rule out other things, but I am getting juice to the coil,

Remove the lead to the condenser, if it is the problem your spark will return.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

T-Mo  :  Those gas tank valves with the gommet can be very tricky -especially that old and not knowing where that tractors sat at for a long time.  

I recommend heating that up with a hair dryer or heat gun  ( I prefer hair dryer with three temp ses as you want to slowy warm that  ynderneath the valve grommet before trying to remove.

The plastic sometimes cracks or small pieces can bust off when they are brittle.

I have redone two of these with new valves and grommets and this has worked well for me>

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3

T-Mo

Thanks,  guys.  I know coils aren't cheap, so I want to keep troubleshooting to eliminate other possibilities.  And on the gas tank, thanks, Lane, I figured it would be easy to crack the plastic by just forcing the valve and bushing out.

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
Just now, T-Mo said:

Thanks,  guys.  I know coils aren't cheap, so I want to keep troubleshooting to eliminate other possibilities.  And on the gas tank, thanks, Lane, I figured it would be easy to crack the plastic by just forcing the valve and bushing out.

i used a old cub coil on my 701. but i got a stock pile of used parts. lol

heres a cheap coil i found on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Coil-Fits-K181-K241-K301-K321-K341-Cast-Iron-Engine-/232153253023?hash=item360d69849f:g:p20AAOSwImRYNhTu

heck i use ebay for car parts too lol. tps is bad on my truck next paycheck i am buying one off ebay for 6 bucks compared to 40 bucks at autozone.