Texas Todd

856 Wiring

Texas Todd

Good morning. I have a restoration thread going and had some electrical questions and hoped a guru or two could chime in. The link is below and relates to wiring the 856, which if I understand correctly, came with a magneto ignition with no solenoid...Well it now has a coil from a 79 C-121 and a different switch and a solenoid. Please click below if that makes sense (or doesn't). Thank you!

• Like 1

pfrederi

856's came with battery coil ignition systems not magnetos.  The original switch carried the high current necessary to turn over the Starter Generator no solenoid was used.  I f you are using the switch from a C121 you will need a solenoid as that switch cannot carry the high current needed for S/G

Texas Todd

Okay thanks. I had read somewhere on here that they came with magnetos, which lead to my confusion.  The solenoid had been previously added and the switch was still the Cole Hersee, I believe. Thanks though, I appreciate it. I will proceed as I was planning. :flags-texas:

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:    If you want the generator warning light to work with a solenoid you will need to move the lead that went to the "S" terminal on the ignition switch to the S/G side of the solenoid.

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Awesome! Thank you!

Texas Todd
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:    If you want the generator warning light to work with a solenoid you will need to move the lead that went to the "S" terminal on the ignition switch to the S/G side of the solenoid.

Thanks again Richard @953 nutand @pfrederi. Was sure nice to turn the key on once I got the wiring done and the gen light came on and it fired right up! Now on to the carburetor tuning.......

• Like 1

953 nut
38 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

it fired right up!

:woohoo:          :happy-wavemulticolor:        :text-bravo: