WheelieMan74

416-8 mods. Adding hydraulics.

WheelieMan74

Hey all, Got a nice 416-8 and Iam  thinking about adding hydraulics to it. Kinda wish i got the H version. I am a metal fabricator/Cnc programmer/all around machinist. Basically I can make anything. Been working with metal for 20 years. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you all have for modding this bad ass tractor up. Any mod is good. Just looking for ideas to make this lil beast even better. 

Forest Road

What are your intended uses? If you're a healthy individual it's a waste for

mowing duties. Bad shoulders then bring on the hydros. Planning on using it for

road grading w a mid mount grader? Manual w dial a height adjustment is only way to go.

Snow blowers, tiller, and snow plows you may want the hydraulics. Some members have mounted a pump on the flywheel side. Others have gone for a pto side mount. 

And most of all welcome to RS!!!!!

Edited by Forest Road
  • Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:      Have you considered an electric lift? They came standard on the 417-8 and as an option on lots of :wh: models. Do a search on this site for some more information, lots easier to add than a hydraulic system. If you decide to go that route you can find a few used parts dealers in our vendor section or pose a wanted listing in our Classified section.

There is one expectation we have of all new members;    :wwp:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

Personally, I would just get another tractor w/hydro. (And I like to do crazy modifications too!)

If you still insist, you will want to fab the pump off the flywheel side of the engine as it is too difficult to keep a pump running continuously off the PTO/drive side. 

But once you figure in the pump/reservoir/hoses/valves/pulleys you will have paid far more than you can get a complete hydro tractor in good running shape for. You are probably within a couple hours of this one: 

• Like 1

JAinVA

There is a simple solution if you REALLY need a hydraulic lift.You can mount a standard hydro lift cylinder and corresponding linkage.Attach a porta power pump on the fender pan and connect the hose to the cylinder.A few pumps ,it will be slow, but the cylinder will respond.No down pressure but at least it can move something really heavy with little effort.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

953 nut

Jim, I think a bit outside the box from time to time;  but - - - I think you just fell out of the box!   :ychain:

51 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Attach a porta power pump on the fender pan and connect the hose to the cylinder.A few pumps

• Like 3

ACman

Thanks @JAinVA for that very simple solution...:) !

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Jim, I think a bit outside the box from time to time;  but - - - I think you just fell out of the box!   :ychain:

@953 nutJim did not fall out of the box "it is just cheap Virginia Red Neck Engineering " ask me how I know. Been there done that.

• Like 3

Sarge

There are also some small electric/hydraulic pumps with a fair bit of volume/pressure for snow plows...it could work as well if you can find room to mount it out of the way - and somewhere that heat won't destroy it .

Sarge