Jgoodsell

Replacing Eaton 700 with 1100

Jgoodsell

I am the proud owner of an 1988 Wheel Horse 518H. I have had the bad luck of the first snow fall the transmission overheated and failed. I was able to work out a deal with a buddy for a used Eaton 1100 with transaxle. The donner has bad mars on the axle where the previous owner before him had welded or something the keyways where the hubs sit. Since these are in great shape on my original, we were going to swap that out by cracking the transaxle first and replacing the damaged ones with the nearly perfect shape ones on the existing transaxle. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how this should go and any parts that I should order ahead so that I have them on hand (seals, bearings, etc...)? I know that the axle seals are bad on the 1100 transaxle, so I intend to replace them but have had a hard time locating the seals. I believe that there is a gasket on the transaxle that will be destroyed when separating the halves. Does anyone have the part numbers for these also? Can I use Permatex black on this seal to make sure that it never leaks or should I just use the gasket?

• Like 1

JoeM

jgoodshell, I just swapped out a 7 for an 11 on a 518H. After I swapped it out I got to looking and I thought the 1100 hydro pump might bolt up the 7 transaxle??? Maybe some one out there can shed some light on this matter? My 7 trans axle was good the hydro was not working.

I do know you need to make sure you get the control cam with the 11 they are different. I enclosed some pic.

As far as the gasket, I just used the gasket in the past and have had no issues. I like to use new keys and set screws when I have a hub off for any reason. It highly unlikely that you will need bearings.

these parts are for a 1995 520H with 1100 hydro

108312 GASKET-TRANSMISSION Both 518 and 520 use this same gasket.

6449 SEAL-OIL (2 each)

937108 KEY-WOODRUFF (2 each)

3243-5 SCREW-SET, SQH (2 each)

Eaton 700 Linkage.jpgEaton 1100 Linkage Old C145.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Like 5

Jgoodsell

Good info!. Thanks for all of that. I wanted to try swapping just the transmission, but I was told that the gears do no match on those transaxles to that pump. I might open it up anyways to be sure. My 518H has a strong engine and is in great shape with little to no rust on it anywhere. I cannot wait to throw a blower on that beast and get back to work with it. We performed the valve service as suggested by a service guy here. We will be decarbonizing the heads before she goes back to work too. Got the new head gaskets ready and waiting. I will get some pics up of her as soon as I can.

Jerry77
3 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

control cam with the 11 they are different

Are  you talking about the cam plate or cam rod? I swapped one and only changed the cam rod since it was a different length..cam plate appeared to be the same ( but  you know how appearances can be :laughing-rofl: ,,)   advice pls...

Edited by Jerry77
wrong adjective

JoeM

Looking closer, you could use both. Just need to flip over the plate?

refracman

The 1100 can be swapped with the 700. The trans/ axel housings are the same. 

To do it you need a complete pump and Related parts  You need not only the pump but the filter assembly.  return line from the pump to the trans case and hose to bypass the pump. Any  WH Eaton 1100 equipped tractor would work from 1980 up. 

I am going to be doing a swap on a 1987 314 700 this spring for a customer and the doner is a 1996 520 less the lift valve and cylinder. It will be a complete pump trans swap as it will be faster 

As to the gear not matching on the pump, I'll have to look, but it is only held on by a bolt, to see if it's possible to install the gear off the 700 onto the 1100

• Like 2

Jgoodsell
5 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

Are you talking about the cam plate or cam rod? I swapped one and only changed the cam rod since it was a different length..cam plate appeared to be the same ( but you know how appearances can be :laughing-rofl: ,,) advice pls...

I do not know what is different to be honest. I read something was but didn't note down what it was.

wrmhaste

Lets just weld it together...

Jgoodsell
14 minutes ago, wrmhaste said:

Lets just weld it together...

no?

wrmhaste

darn... replace it with a diff out of a subaru

• Heart 1

Jgoodsell
4 hours ago, refracman said:

The 1100 can be swapped with the 700. The trans/ axel housings are the same.

To do it you need a complete pump and Related parts You need not only the pump but the filter assembly. return line from the pump to the trans case and hose to bypass the pump. Any WH Eaton 1100 equipped tractor would work from 1980 up.

I am going to be doing a swap on a 1987 314 700 this spring for a customer and the doner is a 1996 520 less the lift valve and cylinder. It will be a complete pump trans swap as it will be faster

As to the gear not matching on the pump, I'll have to look, but it is only held on by a bolt, to see if it's possible to install the gear off the 700 onto the 1100

Thanks for that info. I have all of that. I will post progress after this weekend.

Jerry77
14 hours ago, Jgoodsell said:
14 hours ago, Jgoodsell said:

less the lift valve and cylinder. 

You probably know it by now, but Wheelhorseman1000 can provide you with the correct length with fittings hose to bypass the connections for the hydraulic lift openings - I think it was 30 bucks or so and fit great.. if you do this pm me - you will need to remove a little bit of sheet metal for the correct fit..no reply neccessary :)

wrmhaste

Would the bypass hose be the same as taking both lines that go to the lift valve and hooking them together? Im the buddy with the donor tractor by the way. just had to mess with him some :happy-jumpeveryone:

Jgoodsell
9 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

I am all set as this is already installed on this transmission. Some animal had already cannibalized this poor 520 so the lift was already bypassed. Thanks though.

Jgoodsell

It has been completed. We only swapped the pump and linkage I believe. I will post some pictures of the actual tractor as soon as I have a chance to clean her up. 

IMG_20170113_201604555.jpg

IMG_20170113_201611616.jpg

IMG_20170113_212548156_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170113_225200096.jpg

IMG_20170113_230912367.jpg

IMG_20170113_230921205.jpg