Thor27

Opinions wanted on 418-8

T-Mo

It looks like the 418-8 was only made one year, 1987, and had the Kohler Magnum M18 in it.  The engine is a good one, so should be no worries there, and the transmission of course is Wheel Horses bullet proof 8 speed.  The electric lift will be easier on the left arm than a manual lift, but will be slower than a hydraulic lift and will not have the load capacity of a hydraulic lift.  I'm not that familiar with Wheel Horses actuator, but my above assessment of electric lifts should be relevant for Wheel Horse as well.

I do like the implements, attachments and accessories you listed.

• Like 8

jebeli

I have had a 418-8 for ten years and its the last tractor I buy. I use a snow plow, tiller, bottom plow and grader blade. The motor handles anything I can throw at it including dragging small logs. The lift is a bit slow but not terrible and plenty strong. With the grader blade on I can lift the front wheels off the ground using the lift. All that stuff for 1700, I would go for it.

• Like 7

Jerry77
4 minutes ago, jebeli said:

The lift is a bit slow

That is true, but it is a lot more precise . Sounds like a heck of a buy :twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

ACman

Any :text-coolphotos: ? 

With :wh:Horse's being scarce and a limited in your area I see your dilemma :wacko: . Yes you don't need duplicate attachments but how often do they come along . Keep them as backups , parts or there's always  :techie-ebay: and shipping through Fastenal if need be . We all know what a grader blade can bring . $1700 for a bulletproof tractor with all the extras, it's totally worth it  :twocents-02cents: . And you can always try to talk them down !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 8

russellmc301

try useing the atachments and saying how you all already have them and try useing that to talk him down.

• Like 4

953 nut
2 hours ago, Thor27 said:

lots of accessories I don't need (duplicates), and a limited market to sell them.

:twocents-02cents:      Your limited market could be a big advantage! There is a limited availability of accessories for other :wh: owners to buy near home, so yours will be very desirable.

• Like 4

Thor27

It's also got a front carrier for the mower deck. I just left a message, Im going to try and see it tonight (hate l looking in the dark, but...). I may have a what's in your mirror post later.

• Like 5

rlrnot

I believe that is a front mower mount to position the mower deck in front of the tractor when mowing.

• Like 2

can whlvr

to some that would be high for a package deal,not to me,a magnum 18 hp and the 8 speed,what a combo,id love to have that,shy of the elusive 420 that's the next king of horses for me,not an onan guy personally as all my friends onans are boat anchors,if this machine is in your price range then GO for it,where I live the tractor would go for 750,the deck 200,tiller 350-500,grader 300,front blade 250-500,trailer 100,weights 50-75so really its a reasonable deal,where I live anyway

• Like 6

Forest Road

$1700 w plastic wheel weights? Ridiculous! Not a penny above $1659 

Sounds like a well kept machine. With the accessories it's not a bad deal in NJ. 

• Like 3

WHX??

Don't listen to them other guys, they just want you to feed their addictions and some :text-coolphotos:... ...I would just say :auto-layrubber:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Those attachments should fit any "C" "B" horse.  That opens up the market if you chose to sell an attachment and lessen your investment.  I know there are members out there by you with Wheel Horses...not many, but they are out there.  That means I think it is a pretty good deal.  Take a big trailer with you.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Thor27

I went and looked at it tonight, it's got 849 hours, and a bit more "patina" than I'd hoped, but really good bones.  Looked at all the accessories also. They are all complete. deck is in great shape and it's a 48", dozer is also a 48", the wh cart is also the big one, a set of front wheel weights, tiller tines are much nicer than either of mine, a perfect set of hub caps, 2 "extra" rear tachamatic brackets and more documentation than I've seen with any tractor.  Steve is right, going to need a trailer, and sell off some stuff!    

Then it wouldn't start....  Wiring issue, turn key to start, pops a fuse, turn key to run and jumped solenoid, cranks and no spark.... wiring harness looks good and unmolested. getting dark, I said I could make an offer but he probably wouldn't like it.  He said he is going to have it serviced and call me when it's running and we'll start over, I get home and get a text he changed out the ignition switch and it's running.  

00w0w_2iH2L1QHjM6_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Thor27
correction
  • Like 6

953 nut
8 hours ago, Thor27 said:

said I could make an offer but he probably wouldn't like it.

Some times that bad first impression can end up being a great bargaining point for you. Did he say how long he has been trying to sell it or is others have made any offers?

• Like 2

T-Mo

It looks better than my '88 416-8 that I bought last summer.  As mentioned, not starting is a good bargaining tool to get the price reduced.  I like it.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

I'd offer 1500.Just because you can get some dough back by selling what you don't want to keep.Looks pretty good to me.Seat shot,of course.Let us know how you make out.

• Like 2

Thor27
On 1/12/2017 at 3:50 AM, 953 nut said:

Some times that bad first impression can end up being a great bargaining point for you. Did he say how long he has been trying to sell it or is others have made any offers?

Thanks Richard, I have a saved craigslist search for a big swath of Wa/Or. I waited about a about a week and a half after this was posted and was the only one who's talked to him. He pulled the add when I went to look.  He is the second owner, and has owned it for 16 years, and knows exactly what he has. It's only for sale because he is in the process of moving from a sizable rural home to a smaller city lot.

So after here we are:

1.jpg2.jpg

Who Doesn't like a little propaganda?

3.jpg

Manuals for everything but the tiller. 

4.jpg 

Edited by Thor27
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 3

can whlvr

I hope that's your trailer full of wheelhorse goodies?

• Like 2

cleat

That sure is a lot of attachments:):)

Cleat

• Like 2

richmondred01

I sold my 418-8 and have kicking myself ever since. The engine had 2200 hours. I pulled it and the cylinders were still in spec so I honed, put new rings and Pistons in it then sold it. 

Bad decision. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

CHuls

Any chance you still have some of these items? Any you're looking to part with? I'm interested in the front wheel weights specifically but, perhaps others too.  

• Like 1

c-series don

I’m not sure if you noticed, but this post is from five years ago! 

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
5 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I’m not sure if you noticed, but this post is from five years ago! 

It’s oddly comforting to see I’m not the only one who replies to posts from years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5