Redisbest

2 stage snowblower

Redisbest

OK.....Just purchased a 2 stage WH Snowblower....Got owners manual and parts manual....And nowhere does it show or mention shear pins to protect gearbox ect....Wth....I would assume( they are usually on auger shaft/ auger).But this has 2 bolts and woodruff key per side....Don't appear to be a very good fail safe shear safety point...Am I missing something ?

Edited by Redisbest
Spelling error

WVHillbilly520H

The bolts on the auger ARE shear bolts, take one completely out the auger will free spin on the drive shaft, the classic and xi 2 stage are the same except for the tractor mount and PTO drive,Jeff.

IMAG1700.jpg

• Like 1

Redisbest
On 1/10/2017 at 5:02 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

The bolts on the auger ARE shear bolts, take one completely out the auger will free spin on the drive shaft, the classic and xi 2 stage are the same except for the tractor mount and PTO drive,Jeff.

IMAG1700.jpgThanp

On 1/10/2017 at 5:02 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

IMAG1700.jpg

Thanks Jeff....If you take out one bolt and it turns...Why is there 2 bolts on each side ?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Sorry I meant take both bolts out of ONE side and that auger should free spin on drive shaft, also those shear bolts are available at TSC 5/16" x 3" (3 pack), and I did get your close up pics and dimensions for the xi snow plow/sway bar,Jeff.

Redisbest

Thanks Jeff, if you take out one bolt and it turns....Why is there 2 bolts on each  auger ?

ti-jean

Hi in the operator manual they talk about chire bolt its onely bolt ???... it chould be chire bolt I dont find the toro parts number .one on my snow-thrower is broken :(

thanks 

WVHillbilly520H

@ti-jean, here in the U.S. it's a "shear" bolt because it's a low grade of steel that in theory should snap break or shear off before what it's fastened to gets ruined, size in SAE is 5/16"-18tpi x 3" long,Jeff.

• Like 1

ti-jean
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@ti-jean, here in the U.S. it's a "shear" bolt because it's a low grade of steel that in theory should snap break or shear off before what it's fastened to gets ruined, size in SAE is 5/16"-18tpi x 3" long,Jeff.

Ok but that bolt it is not a grade bolt SAE is 5/16"-18tpi x 3" long so here to we need  shear bolt never know what could be drop in my driveway .

thanks

gwest_ca

Do you have one of these?

https://www.partstree.com/parts/search/models/?searchTerm=79361

Bolt shown on the auger page

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/snow-blowers-snow-throwers/79361-toro-44-two-stage-snowthrower-for-300-series-garden-tractors-sn-3900001-3999999-1993/auger-assembly/

I would start with a Grade 2 bolt which has no marks on the head. 

If they shear too easy try a Grade 5 with 3 marks on the head.

Garry

shallowwatersailor

Shear bolts sometimes have a groove in them to make it easier to let go and break. If you are using just a regular bolt, it might be a good idea to cut a groove in the bolt the width of the shaft.

Here is a thread that I started a few years ago on shear pins from my Ariens walk behind. You can see the groove.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1