O2B__

Uneven lifting of snow blower

O2B__

.  I have a 314H with mowing deck and 42" tall chute snowblower that I bought last summer.  When the snowblower lifts or lowers, it does not remain level.  This is no problem on my cement driveway, but if I'm trying to clear a path across the lawn, lifting the blower slightly so as not to dig into the grass, one side goes lower.  Is this normal or am I missing some adjustment that would keep things level?

can whlvr

very normal with my blowers,if you have the spring to tight it will pull on the blower when lowered,but once its on the ground it should stay on the surface ,one of our members put larger wheels on his thrower,this would work well when on grass,just lift the blower a little with the adjuster on the wheels and blow on,but look at your spring(if you have one first,could need a little adjustment

Edited by can whlvr

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

My single stage tall chute always lifted tipsy.  Never perfectly level.

Glenn

wallfish

If everything is hooked up properly, it could just be some wear points are worn and/or some loose tolerances in the mount itself.

If it's only off and inch or so, you can adjust it by changing the REAR tire air pressure. Park it on a flat surface, raise the blower just a little bit off the ground and add pressure to raise or lower pressure to lower it or a combination on both sides until it is level with the ground. It still may not end up being perfect but you should be able to get it closer.

:twocents-02cents:

O2B__

Thanks guys.. I appreciate your responses.  I'll look it over again, but it sounds like that's the nature of the beast.

Ed Kennell

If you still can't get it to lift level after trying the above suggestions, you may want to take a close look at the mounting points on the attach-a-matic.  Could be the blower rod is bent or worn, or the attach-a-matic itself  may be worn.     Try adjusting it temporarily with steel shim.  If you can get a good result with shim, then weld build up may be the long term fix.

• Like 2

doc724
On 1/9/2017 at 6:56 PM, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

My single stage tall chute always lifted tipsy.  Never perfectly level.

Glenn

Mine is the same way when I have it mounted to the 314-8 when I use the lift spring.  I cannot remember if it level or not when mounted on the 416H (which does not need a lift spring)

• Like 1

BigRed84

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead.  Has anyone had any good luck solving this issue?  I have a 314-H with the exact same problem.  I can't remember long ago, but I never recall tearing up the grass when blowing a path to the wood shed, now as soon as I hit the grass and lift it an inch or two so it doesn't scrape, one side is off by at least that amount...an inch or two.  I originally thought I may have a cracked frame/bent, or something was cracked or bent in the attachment points, but after seeing so many other guys with the same issue, I'm starting to agree with some responses that maybe there is just extra slop from wear.  Let me know if anyone had any luck with shims or weld to the attachment point.  If not, is there anyone in the CT area that can recommend a trustworthy shop that can look at it?  I know of one in my immediate area, but have had some shady results in the past so I'd be willing to travel if it meant quality work. 

Thanks all!

-Chris-

P.s. Can these single stage tall chute blowers be rebuilt?  (bearings and chains and sprockets?)  Wondering if I should just do some preventative maintenance considering its age? (1998)

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, BigRed84 said:

P.s. Can these single stage tall chute blowers be rebuilt?  (bearings and chains and sprockets?)  Wondering if I should just do some preventative maintenance considering its age? (1998)

Yes! to rebuild/repair and preventive maintenance I did it and it was well worth it, Jeff.

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0528.jpg

• Like 2

dlaw90

I tried to mount one that I bought off craigslist  yesterday. It wouldn't go into the tach-o-matic on the front. I finally got it mounted by prying it up with a shovel. When I lifted it up, it was not lifting evenly. it I swore up and down that the mounting bracket was twisted. Turns out the skids were set at two different heights...

• Like 2

c-series don

I have this same problem with my 44" two stage blower. Perhaps the best way to fix this is move somewhere where it's not necessary 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

cleat

A 2 stage will lift very crooked without the big spring hooked up on the right side.

With the spring hooked up, the 2 stage should lift properly.

5a26fd404ffe1_44inchsnowblowerinstallation015.jpg.37bdad136e432b66f61059b0f8896856.jpg

Cleat

• Like 1

c-series don

Hmm Cleat, I have to go look but I'm pretty sure its on the right but maybe not? 

BigRed84

HELP!  Trying to get a jumped chain out of the auger/housing and it's pinched good.  So I assumed it would be best to just pull the entire auger....I took the three nuts off the plate at each end, but the plates don't come lose.  What am I missing, do I need a special tool to finish this?  

On a side note, anyone know where I can get a chain quick?  

lynnmor

You might be able to get a chain at TSC (Tractor Supply).

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, BigRed84 said:

HELP!  Trying to get a jumped chain out of the auger/housing and it's pinched good.  So I assumed it would be best to just pull the entire auger....I took the three nuts off the plate at each end, but the plates don't come lose.  What am I missing, do I need a special tool to finish this?  

Those stub shafts are usually rust welded in the auger, after unbolting soak with a penatrant, then pry bars, hammers, choice words, prayers ect it/they will come loose, if you get the chain from TSC you will need a chain breaker tool and some full and half links to get it the correct length, Jeff.

BigRed84

I figured it might be a pry bar and choice word type of job.  Hahaha   Thanks for the replies!  

mikeeyre74
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, BigRed84 said:

My local TSC has that #40 chain and new bearing idler gears as well as all the attaching master links you'd need to do the job. I almost picked up a chain break tool as well, but read on here that qa bench grinder is just as effective at removing those things as a breaker is. I think a breaker is for guys on bikes in the woods who don't have access to power tools ;) I ground that link right off and fashioned a new chain right up in no time just yesterday.