stevasaurus

K 181 S rebuild for my 857

chris sutton

Done a nice job of that Steve and its sounds nice too. :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:     Should be good for another 50 years.   :handgestures-thumbupright:      Did it throw a rod or just have a bad knock?    :text-bravo:

I'm glad to see you needed to use a hammer to get that pesky nipple out; it was too serene up to that point.  :ychain:

• Like 3

Stormin

Nice job as Chris says. :handgestures-thumbupright:  I'd have painted it though before installing it.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

One thing is the paddle broke off the piston rod.  It also had a broken spring on the ACR...and the rings were by-passing oil.  I don't know when the paddle broke off, but it caused the scoring on the crank shaft journal.  :)  Had that turned to .010 under.

Norm, I did not paint it because it was my Dad's and he did the pin stripping on it.  I wanted to save that and not have it look new and have to do the rest of the horse.  I have another K 181 to do on my 876...I am thinking painting that one and a restoration.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 8

elcamino/wheelhorse

You could set up at the Big Show and rebuilt motors while entertaining everyone with you stories :unsure::D

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Jim...this was my 1st one...I am so dangerous about this it ain't even funny.  Give me a transmission, I feel better in that arena. :)

• Like 8

rjg854

I know I'd feel better about rebuilding engines if I could walk through it a couple of times with someone that truly knew what they were doing.  Hands on kind of thing,  I've always learned better that way.

• Like 2

oldredrider

Good job Dino! Taking lots of pictures is one of the most important things you could have done as a first timer. 

Have a couple.if questions: Noticed you originally had the .003 piston installed. Did the machine shop stamp .010 on the block deck? Is that what the cylinder was bored to? Noticed tappets weren't marked for location after install. They are different lengths, did you get lucky reinstalling them? 

One final question: Do you have a final tally on what the rebuild cost considering you did all the labor?

Again, great job on the photos and rebuild!

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 6

WVHillbilly520H

Thanks Steve ,for the photo tutorial, I'm getting ready to try to tackle one of the K181's I have for my dad's original CUB CADET, I pilfered from a couple old Gravely riders that actually has the ring and pinion gear bendix starters vs the old Delco belt drive starter/generator,Jeff.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Great photos showing a rebuild!

Thanks!

• Like 1

can whlvr

nice job steve,i too was curious about the ,010 stamp and the 30 thou piston,did you hone and put a 30 back in,usually the stamp on the block means the crank has been turned,curious minds want know

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@stevasaurus If I tried to rebuild a motor I would have a big pile of parts left over without any idea where they belonged. There would probably parts that were not even related to the motor. You did a great job. 

• Like 3

Shynon

Nice job Steve  :handgestures-thumbupright:, now that was easy wasn't it? On to the next one.

• Like 2

squonk

I have seen many Kohler rods have hairline  cracks at the oil dipper. I have sen a lot of damage from them. looks like you caught it in time.:) When rebuilding a Kohler, get that rod checked even if it looks good. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 7

Terry M

Very Nice Steve!!!   And thanks for all the pictures too!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Looks Great Steve!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks guys.  @oldredrider , this block had the .003 piston...the manual talks about that they either came STD or .003 from the factory...might have had something to do with the bore.  Anyway, the machine shop bored the cylinder to .010.  They also turned the crank journal to .010 under.  I bought the piston .010 and the piston rod .010 over on E-Bay.  The machine shop stamped the .010 on the block...I'm not sure if that means the cylinder or the journal.  The piston did not have a stamp on it...nor did the rod. :)

The machine shop charged me $119.34 their work and they ground the valves also.  The parts on E-Bay were like $85.  I did buy a few tools, but I don't count that.

I did have the tappets marked, but I knew the shorter one was the exhaust.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

oldredrider

The mark on the deck represents cylinder bore. Now anyone who pulls the head off will know what size piston is in it.

• Like 1

DougC

Congratulations and thanks for posting the pictorial. Very interesting and informative.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

dclarke

That engine should last another 50 years, Steve. Good job! :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

857 horse

This is better than a Cowboy movie.......and more interesting than the last few labotomys I was involved in,,,,,,

Steve,,,good son is all I can say,,,,No doubt,,dad is proud of you,,,,,,

Oh,,,,,and you do cool stuff,!!!!!  thank-you

Pals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 1

WHX??

Nice Job Dino...:handgestures-thumbupright:

This is how he cooked it...'course I helped a little ....trying to talk him into breaking it in doing this! My bad for not getting a shot when it was smoking. :ychain::)

Put up that video of it running Steve... sounds awesome!

20161008_110638.jpg

20161008_111316.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Thanks for those pictures Jim.  That video is #65 above in the 1st post.  :occasion-xmas:

Elkskin's mower junkyard

rebuilding a engine is somewhat nerve wrecking at times. i dont have tools to do valve jobs i need to invest in them. because i take all engines to local shop for valve jobs. but my first rering was a 17.5hp briggs intek. thing smoked like a freight train. tore it down head gasket was good and factory cross hatches was still in cylinder but rings were done. yea i asked for advice when redoing it because it was my first. local shop told me i would never get it running. well i followed all directions and i put it back together with new rings and gasketkit. that thing ran so good. i sold it too lol. since then i rebuilt a ton of briggs. and one kohler. still waiting on the kohler to fire up due to it needing a valve job lol. i got a 90s flathead 8hp briggs i got to do too with cast iron bore. local shop gave me engine out of there scrap pile because i wanted it due to it being a cast iron bore horizontal but has a broken rod. blocks fine. ill probably get it running and put it on something special i have sitting in the yard.

• Like 1