520hC-120

520H Not Holding charge

520hC-120

Hi guys,

My 520H just got a new battery. It has not been holding its charge, it just clicks when you turn the key 🔑. So I considered that it's cold so I left it on charger all night. Take it off the charger and just clicks as the volt gauge goes to ten. Now I have to constantly have to keep the charger on and start it up with it on which is annoying because I need it to plow.

IMG_8084.JPG

refracman

need to check your battery connections, seliniod  and  ground cable to frame .

also check the multiple ground connection on the sheet metal between the battery and fuse box. 

also could be a bad connection in either the fuse box or on the ignition switch

but sounds like a bad ground to me.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Check the 30amp fuse near the starter at the front of the engine.

Be sure to actually pull the fuse as it may not be blown, but one leg of the fuse may be corroded away.

Edited by Ed Kennell

woodchuckfarmer

Pull the ground off the frame and bolt it the engine mounting bolt.

rokon

I think you need to first determine whether the charging system is working, is the battery being charged while the engine is running, or does it have a draw with the key off that is killing the battery.

N3PUY

"Take it off the charger and just clicks as the volt gauge goes to ten. Now I have to constantly have to keep the charger on and start it up with it on"

I think poor connection between battery and cables .... or bad battery since it starts with the charger.  

Sarge

First thing I'd try is a pair of good quality jumper cables , go direct from the battery to the starter's large cable stud . If it won't turn over , it's the cable connection or the cable itself . If you get a huge spark/arc it could be the starter is stuck or the brushes fried also ...

Always check the ground side as well ,over time things corrode and generally the ground side in negative ground DC systems is the first to go...

Sarge

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

When you do have it running, have you tried putting a multi-meter on the battery to see the voltage?