Shynon

SMS425

Shynon

Just picked up this SMS425 sickle mower. Looks like it may have to do a complete rebuild, not planning on painting it, just mechanical. Looks like a few parts may be missing, but overall I think I can bring it back to life. When I figure out what's missing will put an add in the classifieds.

IMG_6245.JPG

IMG_6246.JPG

IMG_6247.JPG

• Like 6

ol550

Welcome to the SMS club.  Have never seen one that didn't leak.

• Like 3

MalMac

Looks like your missing the slide shoe that goes on the bottom of your gear box housing.

• Like 1

Shynon
10 hours ago, MalMac said:

Looks like your missing the slide shoe that goes on the bottom of your gear box housing.

Thanks to @Lane Rangerparts are on the way. Wow the power of :rs:

• Like 3

WHX??

Nice Tom, wIll look good alongside a tractor @ LeSeure......don't let my boy see that tho, he's been hankering for one awful bad....along with a front reel mower, a 520H, another suburban, a C-160....:huh:

Edited by WHX9
Spel
  • Like 2

Shynon

I got some time to tear apart the wobble box, sorry I didn't take picks of the mess. Oil was like grease, there were more brass shavings and pieces than I could have imagined, one of them was completely gone. Thanks to @dclarke for the notes on where to get all the parts and @Lane Ranger for the shoe and the tips of the sickle. It is starting to take some shape. I worked on the wobble box tonight, had to remake the pin that holds the yoke to the weldment shaft. After I damaged one of the bushings I took a look in my parts drawers and found a few NOS bushings for a sickle mower :woohoo:  I was able to replace the one that I damaged.

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6256.JPG

IMG_6259.JPG

IMG_6261.JPG

IMG_6262.JPG

IMG_6263.JPG

• Like 5

Lane Ranger

I had to do some similar work on the  wobble box too Tom!   Somewhere on Red Square there are some pics of my 50 inch Sickle Bar Mower rebuild.   I used some bearings on the outside of the box that were not original and I think they will work.   I am going to  run the sickle this spring.      I had to have a machine shop make my pin for the  U shaped yoke that rides in the eccentric wobble part.    That  weldment shaft is probably what takes the most beating of the parts in the box!   It is a pretty neat piece of work with parts and bearings and oil seals all going in a less than ten inch square cast box !   Looks like it is coming along great!

Here is the link to my 50 inch Sickle Bar Mower Rebuild:

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

dclarke

Looks like that lathe was a good investment, Tom. I really enjoyed rebuilding the sickle I had, one of the neatest attachments Wheel Horse sold. Good luck with yours and keep the pics coming. 

• Like 1

Shynon

Tonight I mounted the SMS425 to my 855. Seems a little noisy, I think in need to make a new pin to connect the wobble box to the sickle knives. Hoping to go and try it out tomorrow.

• Like 5

CasualObserver

That looks pretty sweet Tom... did you get a chance to try it out somewhere?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Hey!   :greetings-clapyellow: 

I can hear it...shine on you crazy diamond.  :music-rockout: 

• Like 1

Shynon
3 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

That looks pretty sweet Tom... did you get a chance to try it out somewhere?

I did, had to make few adjustments, then broke the end on the knives that attaches to the wobble box.  do some more mowing next week

WHX??

Ain't that how it goes sometimes Tom... all that work and breaks on the first outing...try try again! ;)