BOB ELLISON

limited slip or posi track

BOB ELLISON

Ok guys I need some more knowledge from the pros. I wanted to push my grandson's truck out of my driveway  and put it in side yard. So I decided to try my 1974 C160 to push it, we'll the right wheel with chain's would spin but the left didn't do nothing. And as I tried to park it backwards in my garage it was a little jerky in slow speed but when l pushed harder it was ok.

I think I will try this spring to rebuilt it but us novice's want to know.

Are these sundstrand trans limited slip or posi track ? This is the same tractor I pulled the trans apart to replace the axles and one 1533 bearing in 2015.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I believe the rear end in the automatics are the same as the rear end in the 8-speeds. The 1974's are neither limited slip nor positrack. They are just standard differentials.

• Like 2

Docwheelhorse

Most Wheel Horses are "peg leggers" aka---one wheel drive.

There where the 10 pinion diff 8 speeds but most broke if abused and hence gave way to the common and strong 8 pinion which was available in the autos and manual transaxles.

I dont know about the D250s or a few other models.

I wouldnt be worried about a rebuild just yet.

Tony

• Like 2

maxiblue

The D-250 has a manual lever to lock the rear end for 2 wheel drive  kind like a locker rear end. don't do a lot of sharp turns with it, maybe that's why D-250's have no power steering LOL.

I am planning to put power steering in my D-250 this spring.

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:     Check the air pressure on the left rear tire, soft tire offers resistance to rolling and could be the cause.  I've had this happen to me.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:     Check the air pressure on the left rear tire, soft tire offers resistance to rolling and could be the cause.  I've had this happen to me.

Both my rear tires are filled with rv antifreeze and chains but I will check air pressure. I think I had them at 8 or 10 pounds .

stevasaurus

Bob...your transmission (if original) in your C-160 1974 Model # 1-0480 is a # 5088.  It is an 8 pinion differential with 1 1/8" axles.  It never was a limited slip...those are ONLY 10 pinion differentials.  Maynard is not correct in his statement...hydros did have a lot of 10 pinion limited slip differentials...I'll list them if I need to....you would be surprised at how many there are, but yours is not one of them (if original).  What you are describing is exactly how an 8 pinion differential should work.  I am not sure why you think you need to go into it...maybe type that in the next post.  :think: :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

daveoman1966

Other than opening the gearbox, another way to decide if a 10-pinion LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (LSD) or not...do this:  

Jack both rear wheels off of the ground.  Slowly turn one wheel...If the other wheel turns the SAME direction, then it is a 10-pinion LSD.  If the wheels turn in OPPOSITE directions, then it is not LSD (4 or 8-pinion gears in diff).  This is true for either Sundstrand hydros and Wheelhorse 8-speed manuals (6 speed).

Presumably the differentials of Eaton automatics will respond in the same way to determine whether LSD or not..  

041511- 015a.jpg

AUTO C-160 a.jpg

• Like 5

stevasaurus

The key word in what Davoman is saying is "slowly".  A10 pinion differential might act as a regular differential if you turn one wheel fast.  If you have some snow and ice, put the front end of the horse up against a tree and put it in 1st gear.  If the LSD is working, both wheels will be turning in the same direction.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  A regular differential will only have one wheel turning.

• Like 1

classicdmax

I thought I had read somewhere those rear ends are "open" diff, although I do not have enough experience yet here to be definitive in my statement. I have a 73 16h hydro....and would love a limited slip option as it would help tremendously with traction 

BOB ELLISON

stevasaurus , daveoman1966  and pfrederi THANK YOU for all your help and you all are  right on ,I have the 8 pinion differential .But I still have

a little jerky motion in reverse and that was why I said I would get into it this Spring. when I first got this tractor it had a bad axle

from the PO trying to get the hub off the axle . he beat the snap ring off and I had to replace the axle but while inside I did notice it was

very clean. so I just replaced the axle and a 1533 bearing I got from a member here and everything  worked good. BUT I did not open the

pump. Not knowing then what I know now and I have learned a lot from guys like you and Dave and others about the pumps and how they

need to be checked after  gear failure .Well the parking pawl was eat up by the gears (I DID GRIND OFF THE TEETH ON THE PAWL )

and this is why the PO probably opened the trans and had a time trying to get the hub off, 

(By the way I finely had to split that hub to get it off) I was following Dave in a post and this man knows his

stuff and he said that one would need to check the piston slippers and plates for scoring and I didn't . So that is why I said I might need to open it up.

it just started to jerk a couple  weeks ago after plowing snow and then again Saturday. here is a few pics of pinion and pawl

20150829_193809.jpg

20150829_192327.jpg

20150828_154632.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Bob...just for kicks...check out the 3 pulleys and your drive belt.  Clean them if they are dirty or have a little rust...use mineral spirits to clean the pulleys.  You could wipe the belt with a little spirits also.  Might fix that jerkiness you have.  Worth a shot.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Great pictures too.  Thanks

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
7 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Bob...just for kicks...check out the 3 pulleys and your drive belt.  Clean them if they are dirty or have a little rust...use mineral spirits to clean the pulleys.  You could wipe the belt with a little spirits also.  Might fix that jerkiness you have.  Worth a shot.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Great pictures too.  Thanks

I will try that tomorrow. It very well could be a belt slipping on a pully I never thought of that. It is a new drive belt but rust or oil might have gotten on it. Thanks stevasaurus

• Like 1