Bach-Ed

What is a tach-a-matic

Bach-Ed

Maybe I'm proposing a major project but...  If one is new and terms like tach-a-matic are tossed around, where do you look to find out what exactly is being referred to?  Would a dictionary of some kind for unique WH terms be a nice idea?  But that would require one of the experts to make it.

Anyway this is what started my quest.  For my 857 the mower deck, what would you call the bracket assembly that the front rod hangs from?  The half holes on the plate that mounts to the frame and on the swinging "latch" are wallowed out.  And I was trying to find replacements, good used or repro but how do you search if you are not sure what to call them?

rmaynard

My suggestion is to look in the owners manual/parts pages, find the part you are referring to, and then you will know to call it. eBay is a good start when searching for parts. Our own "wanted" section might also be of some help.

You might also post a picture of the part and let our knowledgeable bunch of members help you identify the item.

• Like 3

daveoman1966

Wheelhorse designed the Tach-o-Matic system in 1973 models and is a universal hitch system to accommodate MOST of the implements without having to use a wrench or hammer at all to switch from a mower, dozer blade, snow thrower, or whatever.  Here are a few pics of the Tach-o-Matic hitches...FRONT, MIDDLE, and REAR.

ps... I have a good used Middle hitch for your 857  (the last 2 pics in this series).   Send an email to me at:

daveoman@windstream.net  

You'll also see here the predecessor of the Tach-o-Matic hitch used on most models up thru 1972.  The primary change in hitch systems for the switch-over years of 1972 to 1973 (and all subsequent years) was the routing of the mower deck drive belt.  It was changed from a side-winder pulley/tension system to routing the belt out around the front axle, then back to the center mower spindle.   

FORK.jpg

rapp 001.JPG

MULE-32.JPG

MULE-35.JPG

MULE-45.jpg

OLD MULE 1.jpg

REAR AX- (9).jpg

OLD (2).jpg

OLD (1).jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

jackhammer

Bach-Ed,

do as others suggested above . check out the parts list numbers , 

If you find what you  think you need I can supply you with a fellow here in town that probably has what you need.

You can talk with him. he has old and new parts

SimonC

Could someone tell me what are the bolt/nuts needed to attach the middle hitch plates to the frame please ? 

pfrederi
1 hour ago, SimonC said:

Could someone tell me what are the bolt/nuts needed to attach the middle hitch plates to the frame please ? 

3/8" NC 1"

• Like 1

SimonC
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

3/8" NC 1"

is adding washers or lock washers recommended or just straight bolt/nuts ? 

thanks again

Stormin

Personally I'd use a plain washer under the nut. If not using a nylock nut put a drop of thread locker on the bolt thread.

• Like 1

SimonC

thank you

Joe 77 B100

I was poking around at my new B100 and found I have the middle tach o matic attached to the tractor.  Should I just leave it there?  I never plan to use the tractor for mowing as it has a snowblower on the front and I only plan to use that.  Or should I take it off for some reason?

pfrederi

Doesn't hurt anything to leave it if you take it off then someday you may want  it will probably be hiding:P

• Like 3

Lee1977
10 hours ago, Joe 77 B100 said:

I was poking around at my new B100 and found I have the middle tach o matic attached to the tractor.  Should I just leave it there?  I never plan to use the tractor for mowing as it has a snowblower on the front and I only plan to use that.  Or should I take it off for some reason?

It's used for a lot of different things, Grader blade, front cultivator. Idler and belt routing for rear mounted tiller, or vacuum just to name a few.