Ed Kennell

What is it?

Ed Kennell

1 Is this real or just a transplanted Commando 8 hood?

• Like 1

OHRob72

Looks more like a Commando V8.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

So a Commando V8 was a vertical engine lawn mower?   

cafoose

Looks like this I believe:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

From the model list...

either...

1-7841 1969 Lawn & Garden Tractor Charger V8 Automatic Kohler KV181S-37108B 8 Eaton 6

or...

1-4751 1970 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando V7 4-Speed Tecumseh V70-125119 7 Wheel Horse 5067
1-4752 1970 Lawn & Garden Tractor Commando V7 4-Speed Tecumseh V70-125119 7 Wheel Horse 5067

• Like 2

cafoose
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

So a Commando V8 was a vertical engine lawn mower?   

If I'm not mistaken the "V" means vertical shaft.

• Like 3

daveoman1966

Not a clue.... 

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Another "old dog" is still learning.

To me a V8 was this.V8 Engine Pistons Royalty Free Stock Images - Image: 20053239 or this  Main Picture

• Like 5

AMC RULES

From the photo gallery...

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I am surprised they were equipped with a clevis hitch for ground engagement implements although it looks like a hard  link connection to the lift lever providing up and down force.

That must have been a nightmarish belt arrangement to the unidrive.

This thing is starting to interest me now....may be a road trip is in order?

rmaynard
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

That must have been a nightmarish belt arrangement to the unidrive.

This thing is starting to interest me now....may be a road trip is in order?

The transmission was a 5066. Had the input pulley on the top. Simple belt arrangement like most other verticals.

V8 belt.png

Funny thing is, at the WHCC show where the Commando 8 was the featured tractor, there were several of these that Wild Bill would not allow in the Commando 8 parade and group picture because even though it said Commando 8 on the side, it was not the featured "1968 Commando 8".

Ed Kennell

Thanks Bob, I assumed all unidrives had the right side input pulley.    I guess the crazy belt arrangement I saw above in @cafooses post above was for the deck drive. It looks like it went from the engine pulley to the rear, over vertical idlers and back front to the deck drive.      It is strange WH made the two totally different tractors in the same time frame with the same name.

......  73 and still learning....

• Like 1

T-Mo

Back when RS first started, we had a member who collected the V's, V6, V7, and V8s.  Most of the pictures of them in the gallery belong to him or were posted by him.  I don't know if he's still a member, but I don't believe if he is, he hasn't posted in anything in years.  That link to the one in the picture gallery that Craig posted was him.  I believe his name was either Joe or Joel.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Looks like a CHARGER V8, with hydro trans.   I had one a few years ago, and sold it at the Big Show.    The front part of the frame is cast iron, and the back section is sheet metal.   The Eaton 6 trans on mine was a little noisy, but worked well.  In the picture, you can see the speed control lever sticking up in the middle of the console.   Not a bad tractor, and if I still had it, I would put a Kawasaki vertical engine in it to replace the old Briggs.

Jim

"Never mind!"   It IS a Commando V8.   Speed control would be on the side where the empty hole is, if it were a Charger.    But the frame is the same (cast iron and sheet metal).   Has a Tecy engine (solid state), and the "V" stands for vertical the same as the Charger V8 that I had.  I would still throw a Kawasaki engine on it.

Edited by SPINJIM
I was wrong. Sorry.
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

1970 Commando V8. Looks identical to the one I bought from a member here last summer for my wife. It may be a vertical shaft tractor but don't let that steer you away they are very capable little machines. And yes the two vertical pulleys you are referring to are for the mower deck, a bit different the first time you hook it up but it works. Looks like a nice little unit, I would try to pick it up...I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Here are a couple pics of ours. Don't mind the green thing in the background of the last pic :hide:

FB_IMG_1483885849097.jpg

FB_IMG_1483886000782.jpg

FB_IMG_1483885909582.jpg

Edited by Professor1990
  • Like 1

Burnerman

C107955E-B3D2-4E2B-8675-132932BAB030.jpeg.03d5eb2fb7cdb5cffb0876b15b61a5e1.jpegI’m going to wake up this thread. 
this is a 1 4752. 70 V7 Commando my son bought home from the scrapyard. He’s gunna have it going soon enough. 
I prefer my $10 Commando 800. 😁706A380E-41EE-4180-A398-4464C15118A9.jpeg.09f7cc40876a2e2a010c21001f7043ca.jpeg