scotty

Starter generator voltage regulator question

scotty

Has anyone ever tried to use a newer style voltage regulator on a wheel horse with the old style starter generator motors? Mine isnt charging and i want to replace it but the newer style are quite a bit cheaper.

This is the style i would like to use

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/voltage-regulator-rectifier-kohler-john-deere-kt17-19-m8-mv20.html?CAWELAID=130000240000002925&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=22977576656&CATCI=pla-81493522136&gclid=Cj0KEQiAnb3DBRCX2ZnSnMyO9dIBEiQAOcXYHw41-_L8qHsq4-iivvokgKZGlMowGHIByBpYE2N6mf0aAjp-8P8HAQ

This is the style i currently have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Regulator-Kohler-K-Series-w-Starter-Generator-Cub-Cadet-Wheel-Horse-/272155362377?hash=item3f5db94449:g:TKQAAOSwWTRW2EWE

pfrederi

It will not work.  That style converts 30+ volt AC to 13.6 +/- volt DC.  You need a saddle mount Delco regulator.  They are 35-50 dollars

Check your voltage while running.  Then ground the F terminal on the genny  does the voltage go up??? If so

You might open your regulator and use a points file on the contact points.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

meadowfield

Yes, use a new Chinese copy or similar, they work fine

953 nut
1 hour ago, meadowfield said:

they work fine

Not on a Starter/Generator! 

Achto
5 hours ago, scotty said:

Mine isnt charging and i want to replace it but the newer style are quite a bit cheaper.

psep.biz has voltage regulators for generators at $16.00. Part #AHGDR6004. I have one on my 1076 and it works great.

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_starter_motors.htm

Edited by achto

Docwheelhorse

Look up "COLD WEATHER / WINTER CHARGING Delco Remy generator regulator" on google, seems the old mechanical regulators would get real lazy if it got real cold and there was a way to force the generator to charge. This puts generator into charge mode which will cook your battery over time as generator doesnt ever stop in this mode. But... its a crutch and can get you through.  Tony

scotty

Alright thanks for the good tips guys

pfrederi
11 hours ago, Docwheelhorse said:

Look up "COLD WEATHER / WINTER CHARGING Delco Remy generator regulator" on google, seems the old mechanical regulators would get real lazy if it got real cold and there was a way to force the generator to charge. This puts generator into charge mode which will cook your battery over time as generator doesnt ever stop in this mode. But... its a crutch and can get you through.  Tony

That step is to ground the field terminal on the generator.  That will make the genny put out its maximum current. 

scotty

The motor also has the tab broken off on the governer linkage. This motor needs alot of work.