Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Need to re-power Craftsman GT5000... thoughts?

Docwheelhorse

Hello everyone,

So... I picked up a very clean 2006 Craftsman GT5000 that was powered by a 26 hp Briggs V-Twin. The motor gave up due to the air box issue with these motors---they dont seal properly and suck dirt. If you RTV the edge of the element and close cover your all set.

But I digress...  Im thinking about re-powering this tractor and wonder if anyone knows if the bolt circle / pattern is the same for the V-twin and the single Briggs motors. Finding a good used single is easy / cheap and could give this tractor a second life as a tow motor / plow rig. Im keeping the 48" deck to put a bagger on my GT3000.

Anybody know? Im being lazy before I go and start researching.

Tony

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE A 18 H/P BRIGGS TWIN FROM MY GT=1800 WORK HORSE.

Docwheelhorse

Thats a horizontal shaft... she no fit where a veryical shaft motor goes. Lol

Thanks for the thought... how much you asking? I like those motors.... I have a good KT17 ser 2 on bench 

Tony

WVHillbilly520H

Just a thought the Predator 22 hp V-twin now comes in a vertical shaft version(actually more CC's) as well as the horizontal,Jeff.

Screenshot_2017-01-06-15-27-19.png

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Just a thought the Predator 22 hp V-twin now comes in a vertical shaft version(actually more CC's) as well as the horizontal,Jeff.

Screenshot_2017-01-06-15-27-19.png

Saw this motor ... cool idea, decent price but too much $$$ for this particular tractor. $750 after tax puts the GT5000 in the totaled category. Im trying to figure out if a 12--18 hp single would just bolt up if the crank dimensions where right. Those motors can be had in the $150+ range running.

Tony

ohiofarmer

Hey, Doc tell me more---

i have one of these engines on  a Tractor Supply MTD and I wonder if there is a link to the air leak problem.  It seems to me  that the cover plate over the air cleaner is poor fitting and is subject to warping. Any further and more specific fix instructions would be appreciated.

That engine will run a 56" deck no problem....Anyway, i Googled 'Bolt pattern for briggs and stratton' and found this.........

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/faqs/browse/direct-replacement-engine.html

Just make sure that your replacement engine has the same shaft size and length and it also must be confirmed that the alternator output will support an electric clutch if your mower has one. With all the motors in this catalog, it sure looks like an easy to compare reference for any swap you may want to try.

Edited by ohiofarmer

Ken B

The cheap singles are out there no doubt. It might be cheaper to find a crapped out tractor with a decent engine on it than to buy just an engine.. I would think it wouldn't be to hard to weld in or bolt in an adapter plate...

stevasaurus

Tony, I happen to have this if you like.  The transmission, a Pearless 6 sp has a broken casting.  This is a 1995 Craftsman model #917.252540.  it has a 14.5 hp Kohler...vertical shaft.  This has been sitting about 3 years, but I had it running then and it ran good.  It was a friend of mine's and he has just passed away this last year.

2010_0505test010002.JPG

2010_0505test010003.JPG

2010_0505test010004.JPG

Edited by stevasaurus

Jaymon74
On 1/6/2017 at 5:00 PM, Docwheelhorse said:

Saw this motor ... cool idea, decent price but too much $$$ for this particular tractor. $750 after tax puts the GT5000 in the totaled category. Im trying to figure out if a 12--18 hp single would just bolt up if the crank dimensions where right. Those motors can be had in the $150+ range running.

Tony

Keep an eye on Harbor Freight sales ad. Sometimes when they have tent sales, you can pick up a refurbished engine cheap.  I bought my 420cc Predator for $199.00

prondzy

I would repower it with a good ol :wh:. Hook a chain to it and drag it into the weeds. :twocents-02cents::auto-swerve:

Docwheelhorse
On 1/29/2017 at 7:07 PM, prondzy said:

I would repower it with a good ol :wh:. Hook a chain to it and drag it into the weeds. :twocents-02cents::auto-swerve:

I know theres purists out there... I used to be one. But dont knock it till you try it... a REAL Craftsman GT or a Cub / JD / Husqvarna GT or old Sears can be a different experience to drive and fun in there own way. The Craftsman GT im repowering would dare I say keep up with most chores the Wheel Horses do... the factory "heavy duty" 48" plow is nowhere near as good as W.H. but agri-fab makes a full frame aftermarket 48" plow that is very similar to a W.H. setup. $300 for that kit add weights and chains and Craftsman will give any of them a run for the money.

Tony

• Like 1