rmaynard

Plowing Snow...I am now a believer...in Hydro's

bmsgaffer

I am right there with you. Had an 8 speed for 20 years and thought it was the only way to go. I still feel that way for certain things, but snow plowing and mowing are awesome with the hydro.

I am hoping to really test it out this year with the xi and its very ergonomic foot controls and low center hump. 

P.S. That 416 is beautiful, you have truly transformed that beast from the day it was picked up!

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

Good looking machine Bob. You will really like the hydro lift when your pushing a lot of wet heavy snow and it builds up in front of the blade. Hope your recovery is going well. 

• Like 4

T-Mo

Just wait until you try a foot controlled hydro.  You're be in heaven for sure.

• Like 5

bmsgaffer
1 minute ago, T-Mo said:

Just wait until you try a foot controlled hydro.  You're be in heaven for sure.

I think he did put Matt's kit on that one... You can see it in the second picture. 

I hated hydros till I converted... :hide:

• Like 2

rmaynard

Terry, I have the foot control. Had to modify it slightly so the blade angle lever would work, but you are right, it's great.

• Like 5

dclarke

I'm gonna do the same thing with my 520h, Bob. I've got my blower on a C160-8 right now and lifting it by hand is a pain. 

• Like 5

pfrederi

The biggest advantage to me is speed.  My plowing requires a lot of backing up the hydro is so much faster in reverse it is great.

• Like 5

ACman

Good to here that you enjoyed your seat time this morning :) . I'm sure she'll surprise you in the deep stuff .

@Fun Engineer I here your in the deep stuff with a record setting 68"s so far . What's actually on the ground though ? Sure wish I could still blast down the power lines on the snowmobile (trails were always beat) then hit the seasonal and back roads!

• Like 2

TDF5G
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

Terry, I have the foot control. Had to modify it slightly so the blade angle lever would work, but you are right, it's great.

I've only pushed snow a couple of times with the neighbors :wh: hydro.  I didn't like the hand control.  But the foot control would be the way to go IMO.  

Been using the 8 speed for many years and I like it. 

• Like 3

rmaynard

Glenn,

Looks like a nice set up. I'm going to my son-in-laws this afternoon to help him install some extra LED floodlights on the roll bar of his Kubota. He might be interested in getting some of the battery operated "blinky" lights as well.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

So Bob, I guess an old dog can learn a new trick.     Infinite F/R speed control at the touch of a toe...You'll never go back to gear jamming.   :thumbs2:

• Like 4

Fun Engineer
3 hours ago, ACman said:

Good to here that you enjoyed your seat time this morning :) . I'm sure she'll surprise you in the deep stuff .

@Fun Engineer I here your in the deep stuff with a record setting 68"s so far . What's actually on the ground though ? Sure wish I could still blast down the power lines on the snowmobile (trails were always beat) then hit the seasonal and back roads!

Officially at 78.8". 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I just finished 90 minutes of fun time on the 312 H with my home made foot control.   Cleared 6 driveways and the stone road.    The 2" wasn't much of a test, but what fun!

I am also Officially a believer in the rubber chains.   This 2" snow had a coating of ice underneath and I was still able to plow up and the two steep driveways.

IMG_6856.JPGIMG_6857.JPG

• Like 9

ACman
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

This old dog can learn. And the funny thing is, my wife, who has less than zero interest in my Wheel Horse addiction, asked me this morning if I'd let her try plowing the next time it snows. :wub: Maybe there is hope for her yet. 

Watch out you might lose all your seat time  :lol: ... then again she might want her own :wh:Horse !

7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I just finished 90 minutes of fun time on the 312 H with my home made foot control.  

Any pics or thread on your foot control :confusion-shrug: would like to see your handiwork  ?

• Like 4

T-Mo
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I just finished 90 minutes of fun time on the 312 H with my home made foot control.   Cleared 6 driveways and the stone road.    The 2" wasn't much of a test, but what fun!

I am also Officially a believer in the rubber chains.   This 2" snow had a coating of ice underneath and I was still able to plow up and the two steep driveways.

IMG_6856.JPGIMG_6857.JPG

Ed, nice 312-H.  And thanks for the review on the rubber chains.  I heard both positive and negative things on them.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

Well I've never plowed with a 8 speed yet. My b80 is a 8 speed but I've only used the C160 for plowing snow. I love the C160 auto because it pushes slow and if I need speed just push forward on control and it goes through all the snow with ease. Hydro lift is the only way to go. I have been thinking of the foot control also but can't find info for a C160.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Here Ya go Jeff @ACman    I don't promote or sell the control as many consider it unsafe.       It is a one pedal infinite speed F/R control that is spring loaded to default to reverse.  Push down for forward, lift up for reverse, and push the left pedal for neutral and stop .  The lever control still works and I use it for backing into tight spots.   I have it on all my hydros.

Sorry Bob, for the :text-offtopic:.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

I put a plow on my 1076, and love the hydro lift for the blade.  But my hydro speed control won't stay in place, even though I tightened down on the cam plate as much as possible without snapping off the screws.   The lever drops into full speed forward unless I hold on to it.    So it takes three hands to operate:  one remaining on the speed lever, one on the steering wheel, and one to operate the hydraulic lift.   I guess a foot control is in my future.

Jim

WH work crew 008.jpg

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Well I've never plowed with a 8 speed yet. My b80 is a 8 speed but I've only used the C160 for plowing snow. I love the C160 auto because it pushes slow and if I need speed just push forward on control and it goes through all the snow with ease. Hydro lift is the only way to go. I have been thinking of the foot control also but can't find info for a C160.

Bob, send Matt a pm on it. He is the fellow that sells / makes the foot control conversion. I had one on my 520, it was the best thing ever.  You won't believe the differance, trust me. 

Glenn

WVHillbilly520H

I've owned my anniversary 520H since bought new in March of 1998 (went from a CUB CADET 106 gear with hi/low and all of dad's gear drives) so in the nearly 19 years of running this :wh: quite frankly I am just fine with the hand controls whether using the snow plow or blowers, a tiller, or other rear clevis mounted implements, if you think about it running a gear drive you have to manipulate the steering wheel, lift lever, and gearshift with your hands as well the clutch/brake pedal with your foot, so a hand stalk hydro ain't much different from that perspective, and what little I've played around on the 520xi the foot operated motion control was a bit awkward for me vs the classic plus the lift lever and choke/throttle lay out is reversed too, not knocking the addition of it just like the geardrive guys it's hard to get used to something "better" than what you are umpteen years used too, just my experiences/opinion, Jeff.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
6 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Bob, send Matt a pm on it. He is the fellow that sells / makes the foot control conversion. I had one on my 520, it was the best thing ever.  You won't believe the differance, trust me. 

Glenn

Glenn everything I have read on Matts kit is only for the 520 and 300,400 tractors. They won't work on the C series tractors.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
28 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Glenn everything I have read on Matts kit is only for the 520 and 300,400 tractors. They won't work on the C series tractors.

Glenn I stand corrected  this is what I got from mate's post. I just have to find out what a updated cam looks like.

The pedal kit fits the following series tractors with Eaton hydrostatic transmissions: C-1X5, 300, 400, 500. 

My kit can be adapted to older hydrostatic tractors with the Sundstrand transmission, however, you will need to find an updated hydro cam commonly found on ebay. Message me for more information.