JAinVA

Passing the baton

WVHillbilly520H

I have been "helping" my parents do all the above since I was 10 or so, but now other than bringing the wood into the house I cut,split,haul, and stack it in the woodshed, and chimney sweep once a month for my elderly parents 75 miles away in WV, so I hope them younguns help you out more as time goes on,Jeff.

• Like 7

Achto

I grew up in a home with wood heat.  It was expected of me to learn and help with every aspect of heating with wood. As a kid dealing with wood heat was never one of my favorite things to. Hard to believe that after had I moved out on my own, I actually started to miss the work it takes to heat with wood. While I don't burn wood myself I still help cut, split, & stack about 15 to 20 cord of wood every year for my family and a friend of mine. I also clean the chimney and help maintain every thing for my mom yet. I'm thankful that Dad taught me about heating with wood.

My dad always said that you get a lot of heat out of wood, it warms you while your out cutting it, again while your splitting it, again as you stack it, again when you carry it in the house and finally one more time when you burn it. 

Unfortunately some "green groups" are trying to make using wood as a heat source a very expensive option. Soon most wood burning appliances may no longer be available. This will have no effect on wood stoves that are already in service but may effect the ability to purchase replacement units. I hope this does not go through but it is in the works.

• Like 6

JAinVA

achto,

The fact that wood heats you though every stage is well known here and has been commented to me many times over the years.I totally agree.I have heard that wood stoves have come under increasing scrutiny.The one I have was approved for use at a time when catalytic combusters were mandated.It was deterimined that as designed it met emission standards at the time without one.

Wood heat is carbon neutral but emissions can be a problem.Maybe there will be a change in focus now.To me tier 4  compliant farm tractors was the last straw.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

plumb-r

It's good that the younger generation jumps in and helps. I think sometimes when my son lends a hand he might just get how things work. As far as stoves go, I have gone over to the dark side. Anthracite coal from right here in northeast PA. Once you go black you never go back. Easier on the back and no chimney fires.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, JAinVA said:

For thirty years I have had an annual ritual.I clean the chimney and pull the wood burning insert stove for cleaning at the beginning of the heating season.For my children this has been an unnoticed event.

They enjoyed the heat and helped with the fuel but never, the maintenance that made the warmth possible.That is until this year.For the first time in 30yrs someone other than me , was saddled with the fun. 

I probably will pick up the baton next season but no matter what I know my son Andrew can keep the house warm for his mama

DSCF1638.JPG

Great picture and story Jim.     I also cut, split,  burned wood, and cleaned chimneys  for ....well, let's just  say 1/2 a century.   The benefits to the body and soul are indisputable.

However, I am sorry to say several factors have convinced me to use the oil burner for the past two years, although I confess I do still light the woodstove when the T. drops below 20F.

The relatively cheap oil,  my arthritis, back pain, vertigo spells, and blood thinner meds have convinced me to stay away from chain saws and roof tops.

I am a DIY selfer, and applaud everyone that is capable of being self sufficient, but after nearly losing my son Mike in a 25' fall off a roof 3 years back, I feel responsible to caution everyone to be careful and use all the safety equipment available.     Sorry for the sermon Jim, but your Andrew reminds me so much of my Mike.

• Like 6

JAinVA

Ed,

No need to apologize.If you look closely you will see a red safety line between his legs.Not real clear but there.He is a trained and experienced rock climber.I made up my mind not to do the chimney this year without a safety line in place so I shot a line over the roof before he went up.Like you I'm on a lot of meds and age makes for some interesting adjustments.I appreciate the comments,I really do but rest assured he was safe.When he first started to climb I insisted he take classes.He did and if there is any issue it won't be that he didn't know the risks.Thanks for the comments,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

Thanks Jim, good to know.

Hopefully others may see the steps you have taken and will follow your footsteps.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

dcrage

I also heeded my wife and daughter's wishes and paid for chimney cleaning for the first time in 30 years. I have the same 'issues' as mentioned above: age, a lot of blood thinners, etc. Still burning the wood stove and cutting wood. 

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

I'm very familiar with burning wood.  Like @achto mentioned, my family has burned wood and many continue to burn wood for years.  My dad and his brothers are all in their 60's and early 70's except Uncle Roger who is getting close and they continue to primarily heat with wood.  This is a tradition handed down from their grandfather and father.  It helps that they have the equipment and the wooded land to "harvest" the wood from.  I dug through my archives and found some pictures of their operation from years ago.  I hope you enjoy these...

PICT0041.JPG

Dad has three Brothers the order is: Bob, Ken, Dad, and Roger.  These first several pics are circa 1977. Here is dad's 1966 Scout with an attached trailer (Home built by Ken who is holding the chain saw.  The Narrow front Case VAC is Bob's and it has an attached home built log splitter.  

PICT0043.JPG

Ken and dad splitting while the neighbor with the orange hat watches.  

PICT0045.JPG

Notice the buzz saw on the front of the tractor!  Do you think OSHA would have a problem with those today?

PICT0058.JPG

Dad's scout was constantly being upgraded as dad worked it harder and harder.  It had four extra leaf springs on both sides in the front and about that in the back.  They were hauling this trailer one time out of the woods loaded down and one of dad's rear axles broke dropping a wheel!  In went bigger axles!  That truck was small but tough and with ALL WHEEL positive traction, it was nearly impossible to get stuck.  

Dad Stertz Slides II 1975-1984 182.JPG

I mentioned Bob's orange 1972 Chevy K10 in the "Horses Stable Mate" thread.  This is it in these pics back before the roll over.  These pics were taken at Kens house.  Aunt Tricia his wife is on the seat of the tractor.  They still live there and I have tons of memories at that place.

PICT0049.JPG

Mom is in the middle talking to Tricia while Ken is trying to decide how he is going to get that log on to the splitter!

PICT0061.JPG

Here is dad on the left and Uncle Roger on the right using the Buzz Saw. (Yes @achto and @WHX9 he was that thin at one time, like we all were:rolleyes:)

PICT0066.JPG

Bob splitting while dad and Rog run the saw!  Talk about multi tasking!

PICT0085.JPG

Everything that was under 6" got cut up with the Buzz Saw, everything larger got sectioned with the chain saw and split.  Eventually Ken built a stand alone splitter.  It is powered by a small 4 cylinder car engine!  I'll have to get some pics of that and post them!

PICT0047.JPG

Here is the scout at our house with a full load.  It would take about 3 of these to fill the wood shed, which would last us a winter.

Dad Stertz Slides II 1975-1984 120.JPG

Dad built the wood shed on to the back of the garage the second summer that they lived there.

Dad Stertz Slides II 1975-1984 036.JPG

Here is "coal" (the lab) playing on the wood pile before dad stacked it up. 

PICT0137.JPG

This is me and dad in front of the old wood stove that heated our house for about 15 years.  It was a drafty stove that wasn't very efficient.  Later on dad would purchase a sealed unit that did a much better job.

PICT0330.JPG

This is me and mom and Teddy about 1983 with yet another load!  I wasn't a fan of all the work associated with burning wood but I loved the result.  I don't often get to help with it today because the uncles typically split and haul on days that I'm working but I still am on deck anytime dad needs me "haul wood"! 

• Like 4

JAinVA

Thanks for the pictures and memories.The old Scouts were tough.Some time back I posted a picture of my wife's Homelite saw.I have not seen many pictures of those being used.Great bunch of photos.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-coolphotos:    More than cool,  they are priceless Jack.   Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

PICT0066.JPG

Hey...I wonder if that is @Ken B  's truck?   :think:

IMG_8098_zpskzvhz2vp.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

RandyLittrell

Thanks for posting those, love seeing old pictures of tractors and trucks. We never heated with wood but lived on a small farm when I was a kid. Sure brings back nice memories! Dad has been gone about 8 years now and wish I could go back and do some of those things again we did when I was a kid!

Randy

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

My dad is now in his Mid 60's and I cherish any time that I get to spend with him.  Time flees so fast and often we don't realize how precious something or someone is until it is too late.  I'm with you Randy!

• Like 2