USHorse

Leaking Seal

USHorse

Have a 1985 416-8 that appears to be weeping from the axle seals with drips every night after use.  But as I looked closer and began to clean the area, the major source seems to be coming from around the drum brake.  I am assuming a bad seal.   Now, I remember reading here that the axle seals can be picked out and replaced without cracking open the tranny.  Is that true how the brake drum seal?   Never opened a tranny before so will keep my fingers crossed.  This all started when I did a preventative drain, flush and refill of transmission.  Makes some sense since it probably cleaned the insides of the seals of deposited crud which was acting like a seal in itself.  Suggestions Please !!

oldlineman

Hi welcome no expert by know means but my understanding is that you can replace the axle, brake and input seals from the outside.Biggest problem sometimes is getting wheel hubs, brake drum or input pulley off. Good luck, you can get seal # here on this site.

Edited by oldlineman

stevasaurus

Measure your brake shaft to be sure...should be 5/8"...if so it is WH # 100441 and it crosses to SKF #  7410. 

If you decide to change the axle seals..they are 1 1/8"  WH # 100443...crosses to SKF # 11050.  The seals are about 1/8" thick, so don't go digging to deep to get them out.  I like a tool, like a screw driver, that has a bent end...made for pulling carter pins.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

USHorse

Thank you to you both...may try this weekend.  Stopping by to pick up a pick like tool to remove seals.  hubs do not want to come off. Have been spraying them daily.  May need a puller.  Will see what tool i come up with.  

stevasaurus

Use a good puller...and maybe let the oil do it's work.  Pull out the set screw and put plenty of oil in...a little heat will help.  I've had to cut them off...that is the last resort. 

• Like 2