kayvonmansouri

Upload your 2 stage snow blowing vids!

kayvonmansouri

She throws it pretty far! I'm trying to decide what I like more.  Pushing or throwing.  Throwing is cleaner for sure, pushing seems faster.  I need to re assess with a foot or more of snow.  I really like this setup, the only thing I don't like is the heavy steering.  Seems like I'm going to break the steering gearbox! https://goo.gl/photos/FZW5sqHG8Uru1ja76

JAinVA

By the looks of your video you have the stock 416 steering set up.If that is the case steering will be real heavy.You might upgrade to the gear reduction 520 setup.This is something that gets routinely done on the loader tractors.One other thing about the stock 400 series is that the front wheels have a thin axle tube.With prolonged heavy weight on the front end the tube gets stretched so that the bearing won't stay tight in the rim.

Luck,JAinVA

WVHillbilly520H

Here's a pic from last year's 2'+ ,Jeff.

895.jpg

• Like 2

JAinVA

Jeff,

I remember the shot.You got hammered with the snow that time.We got 3" plus 1" rain then 5 inches snow on top.What a mess.This time we might get some straight snow.They say 1" to 1 foot.I have the broom ready and the 416H  chained up and the single stage on it.For wheelhorse-elcamino,Jim I had to clean the squirrel remains out of the blower.They flew 30'.JAinVA

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I need to get a single stage for the leaves. Every time I try to work on them it rains. It took me 5 hours just to remove the leaves from the small front yard. Blew them in piles and used the snow plow to push them to back of the property. What happened to the good old days of burning the suckers.

Wive's BB rifle does not help with squirrel removal, they stay out of range. Did chase a few with the 416 in 3rd gear but they kept running up trees. 

• Like 2

JAinVA

Jim,

I have trained squirrels.The first time they hear the air gun go off they haul for the trees.I don't even need BBs anymore.Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.If it snows then I will load pictures of the blower even if it is single stage.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

kayvonmansouri
7 hours ago, JAinVA said:

By the looks of your video you have the stock 416 steering set up.If that is the case steering will be real heavy.You might upgrade to the gear reduction 520 setup.This is something that gets routinely done on the loader tractors.One other thing about the stock 400 series is that the front wheels have a thin axle tube.With prolonged heavy weight on the front end the tube gets stretched so that the bearing won't stay tight in the rim.

Luck,JAinVA

Thanks for the info.  Is there anything that can be done about the small axle tubes?

• Like 1

JAinVA

There are a number of upgrades that can be done to address the tube thickness of the stock front wheels. Unfortunately none are simple.1 replace the front axle setup with one from a 520h 1991-1997.The positive is gear reduction steering and tapered roller bearings in the wheel.Aftermarket boat trailer hubs can be fitted to the 520 spindles to allow demountable wheels.The down side is the expense.

2 For stock spindles a 1" sleeve (custom made) will allow heavier wheels with I inch bearings to be used.The wheels are similar in design to the Wheel Horse but the tubes are much thicker.I believe that the WH xi series used this wheel but the green and yellow tractors did for sure.This may not be what you wanted hear.I'm sure there are many 2 stages used on the 300-400 series but personally would not mount one on a 300 or 400 series that didn't get upgraded to 500 series specs. The stock axle tube is less than 1/16" thick and the bearing only bears  on about 5/16" on either end.Not a lot of support for a 300lb attachment. JMHO JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

kayvonmansouri
12 hours ago, JAinVA said:

There are a number of upgrades that can be done to address the tube thickness of the stock front wheels. Unfortunately none are simple.1 replace the front axle setup with one from a 520h 1991-1997.The positive is gear reduction steering and tapered roller bearings in the wheel.Aftermarket boat trailer hubs can be fitted to the 520 spindles to allow demountable wheels.The down side is the expense.

2 For stock spindles a 1" sleeve (custom made) will allow heavier wheels with I inch bearings to be used.The wheels are similar in design to the Wheel Horse but the tubes are much thicker.I believe that the WH xi series used this wheel but the green and yellow tractors did for sure.This may not be what you wanted hear.I'm sure there are many 2 stages used on the 300-400 series but personally would not mount one on a 300 or 400 series that didn't get upgraded to 500 series specs. The stock axle tube is less than 1/16" thick and the bearing only bears  on about 5/16" on either end.Not a lot of support for a 300lb attachment. JMHO JAinVA

Thanks for the reply.  All of those seem intense!  The good news is I picked up a 520 hydro this year.  It came with another 2 stage   and a deck.   Get this.... $200 dollars.  I think he just wanted it to go to a good home.  It runs but takes forever to start.  I think it needs a fuel pump.  And once it runs you wreak of exhaust.   I think it's burning tons of oil.   I guess I'm saying I have some good options.

14 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Here's a pic from last year's 2'+ ,Jeff.

895.jpg

This is awesome. Wheel Horse corporate would print and have this hanging in their offices if they were still around.

Edited by kayvonmansouri
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, kayvonmansouri said:

Thanks for the reply.  All of those seem intense!  The good news is I picked up a 520 hydro this year.  It came with another 2 stage   and a deck.   Get this.... $200 dollars.  I think he just wanted it to go to a good home.  It runs but takes forever to start.  I think it needs a fuel pump.  And once it runs you wreak of exhaust.   I think it's burning tons of oil.   I guess I'm saying I have some good options.

This is awesome. Wheel Horse corporate would print and have this hanging in their offices if they were still around.

Well I think you bought yourself a 2stage blower for $200 and a 520h was thrown in for free, as far as a fuel pump check :techie-ebay:Flip Mfg has an aftermarket Onan pump I got 2 for less than $30 and they seem to work just fine and reliable too, and thanks on that comment of pic on Corporate wall, but if it wasn't for all the tips/tricks/mods I've gleaned from all the top class guys here on :rs:it wouldn't be the snow chucker it is in that picture,Jeff.