T-Mo

Sears Sells it's Craftsman Line to Stanley B&D

moe1965
On 1/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, 953 nut said:

Our Ace Hardware has been selling Craftsman for a few years.   Don't like to see all of the consolidation going on; it never seems to benefit the customer. Several years ago at Sears I wanted to return a Craftsman ratchet for replacement, they wanted to give me a repair kit; I told them I would wait while they installed it! They said that isn't how it works any more, I began loudly protesting and demanded to see the store manager; guess what, they handed me a new ratchet.

:twocents-02cents:   The Husky line being sold by Home Depot offers a better warranty than most and have been good as gold on replacement.

I agree they should just exchange it for a new  one but I would have a hard time giving up the one my dad has . It's very old school looking and I have a sentimental attachment to it. My dad is 90 now not saying the wrench is but it's old.  It still works sometimes older is better I think.  When it breaks I think I will  just hang it on the wall next to my work bench.  

• Like 3

Red144runner

Funny I stumbled on this topic tonight. I've had craftsman tools for a long time. I'm 35, bought my first set when I was 16. I remember how excited I was, at the time it was a lot of money but I needed the tools for the truck I had and for my part time job at pepboys. I bought a lot of tools there for the next 20 years. Then I noticed less tools, and more recently "made in China". Nope I'm not paying USA tool prices for Chinese tools. If I wanted that I'd go to harbor freight. So tonight I found an un used set about 20 years old for $30. I didn't even haggle. I heard Stanley was going to open a couple more plants in the US. Here is the set I just got. And, I'm a chainsaw guy. Here's 2 from when you could still get a real saw from Sears. And Poulan for that matter since that's who they were made by.

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

• Like 2

slim67
On 1/5/2017 at 5:35 PM, ACman said:

:text-yeahthat: , nice not to drive 45mins to a Sears...but it's sad to to see an company that's been an American staple since 1886 have to do this . Just think they were the mail order store before the internet . I like checking some of their early catalogs and looking at the cool stuff inside . How many of us here couldn't wait for the new catalog and the Christmas catalog :techie-studyinggray: to show up in the mail box .

I used to love looking at the tractors and mini-bikes.

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

Kmart was the death of Sears plain and simple.  Ever since the merger is when the Chinese stuff started showing up and the customer service dropped off.  Last tool I bought at a Sears was a set of ratcheting wrenches a bunch of years ago.  I never thought twice about where they were made.  One day I was using one and happened to see 'china' on it.  My heart sank and that's the last tool I bought from them.  All I ever got for Christmas and birthdays growing up were Craftsman tools.  All my buddies in school whould ask for bikes or the hot new toy.  Not me, I wanted American tools!  All their bikes and cheap toys were history years ago I'm sure, but my tools with be with me forever.  Looks like another American staple is going the wayside.  Very sad indeed.

• Like 2

Uncle Buck

The only Craftsman tools I buy anymore are used tools from back when. There are so few Craftsman tools still USA made that I no longer even look at Sears, it is pointless. When I want offshore tools I go to HF. I figure they do cheap crap better than anyone else since they have been doing it longer. I was a huge Craftsman devotee for decades too, most new tools I ever bought were Craftsman brand. Once they stopped making quality tools I stopped buying them. I never bought any tool because of it's warranty anyway. I always bought the best I could afford and still do. Craftsman no longer makes tools suitable for consideration sadly. Soon Sears will be gone anyway. Stanley mechanic tools never made my short list of good tools either.

These days, unless you have a big stack of green brothers used is often the very best way to buy tools in my opinion. I buy quality, not shine.