Kavint76

1277 starter/generator problem

Kavint76

My starter just locks when I put power to it. Do they have brushes in them? I pulled the big flat head screws out on both sides n there's nothing under them shouldn't there b brushes in there? Any help will b greatly appreciated thanks. 

ed lincoln

Those 2 big flat head screws hold the field whindings to the inside of the generator case. There is 2 long bolts on the brush end of the generator pull them out and remove the end plate, that where the brushes are.

Kavint76

Thnx I was thinking that wasn't where the brushes were . Does that prob sound like the brushes or not? 

ohiofarmer

I would suggest something like this. Also try to find a video that shows aa teardown from the start.. Much of the time. a good clean up with no new parts is all a starter needs to function like new.  It is pretty easy to have parts flying about if you take the starter apart the wrong way. Youtube can be your friend  on a repair that you have never done before

• Like 3

gwest_ca

You can download a good section on the starter/generator from this Kohler manual

Garry

• Like 1

squonk

Being a starter generator I would suggest taking it to a shop that rebuild them and have them check it out. along with brushes you probably need a good commutator clean up.

• Like 3

953 nut

Mike and Garry have both given you good information. Before you remove the S/G try a few basic checks, be sure the battery is fully charged, clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds and use a jumper cable from the battery "+" terminal to the S/G "A" terminal to be sure it isn't the key switch causing the problem. Here are a couple more things to look over to help decide what is going on.

Starter Generator Assembly Trouble shooting.docx

Your switch will be like the illustration on the top (minus the solenoid and you have a battery ignition system, not Magneto) unless a previous owner altered it. The wiring diagram in your owner's manual is good too.

Starter generator wiring.jpg

• Like 2

Sarge

I'd highly recommend taking it to a shop if the starter is trying to lock when it rotates . If it will not turn easily by hand and seems to hang up in one spot then likely part of the armature has broken off inside and the brush is dropping into the slot where it sat - in which case it's junk . Many times the fault on the starter-gen units is the regulator - these are an electro-mechanical switching type that uses relays to turn on/off current for both the start and generator brushes - if the contacts are dirty they won't work correctly and good quality Delco replacements are tough to find . Most times a good quality points file is all that is needed to polish the silver button contacts but that will also slightly alter the charge side settings on voltage limiting and current limits , so you have to be very careful . A good old-fashioned auto electric shop should know these things well as they were also used on a lot of different equipment and the Delco generators were common on older cars - look for an old guy that works on the stuff and he'll know what he's doing . We're at the point that a lot of these older rebuilder shops are going by the wayside just due to time and modern equipment that usually just gets replaced , rarely ever repaired . Many of the modern alternator/starter shops now days have never seen a 50's era generator , let alone a dual-headed starter-gen like our tractors used in the '60s ...

Sarge

Kavint76

Thnx everyone I'm going to try n have it rebuilt a friend of mine works for a company that only works on electric motors he knows how to check it n rebuild if it needs it

• Like 1