ohiofarmer

D'OH moments--or why did it take me so long to think of that?

ohiofarmer

In addition to being addicted to WH tractors, I am addicted to this forum. Since it is a bit slow on tractors right now, maybe it is time to make a bit of fun at ourselves. Sometimes, we have been doing stuff for years and out of inspiration or necessity, we come up with a quick solution to a problem that we need to share with others. It can be WH related or not. I will give you a quick one or two you can use right away as an example.

Do you always lose the little red tube thingys that come on carb cleaner aerosol cans? You can look on the internet and buy all kinds of pricey stuff to maintain them, but this works a treat. Save that coffee stir straw from Lowes and tape it to the can! put a few dents in the coffee straw with a fingernail, and I guarantee you that the red straw you need to direct the spray will not fall out of your free "aerosol directed spray straw device retainer"  Or I guess that you could buy a patented device like this one----Read the entire patent {i dare you]

https://www.google.com/patents/US6412671

I used to have to borrow red tubes from new cans of cleaner because so many got lost. Now I am gaining the tubes as I empty the cans.

Utility knives are great things to have around, but the tips go dull in a hurry when cutting roof shingles. You could grind the tip off a bit on the dull side of the blade to expose a fresh tip, but that is not easy up on a roof. Just put the tip in your claw hammer or a little pliers that you carry and snap a bit of the blade off. Be careful not to put an eye out when snapping off blades

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3

Jerry77

Getting the seat to stay up when checking or filling the gas tank on 300-500 models without all the proper hardware is a pain - I slipped a small length of 1/4" fuel line on one end of a 1/4" rod - 12 inches long - and bent a 90 on each end. Drilled a 1/4'" hole in the seat stand and stuck the rod thru the hole - used 1/4" locking collars on each side ot the hole, leaving the cushioned end to rest on the seat pan. Works great.

• Like 4

SPINJIM

Another 'DUH' moment.   Am I the only one who didn't realize that the plow blade edge is reversible?   After spending $40 on a new blade edge, I took the old one off, looked at it, and realized that I could have just flipped it around to the top edge and saved $40.

Jim

• Like 4

ohiofarmer

This one is a bit longer..

On a 833 Bobcat, there is a dip tube fuel line that fits down through the top of the fuel tank. There is a check valve on it that fails, but replacing that tube is something like 1.5 shop hours as it is buried underneath the hydraulic plumbing under the seat. I got the guys at Bobcat to show me shop drawings of that thing and the proceedure is designed by a mad scientist who hates mechanics and wants to cause physical pain to them. i noticed on the drawing that a new tank grommet and seal was available and went home to think........................................................................................... No way was I doing that repair, but $140 for them to do it was beyond my pay grade............................................................... Then, like a bus, it hit me.

I bought the dip tube and fuel tank grommet, drilled a 13/16 hole in the top of the tank, ran a new fuel line to the fuel pump, and plugged the existing fuel line. So easy and obvious a solution that i am surprised that the Bobcat people did not suggest it

• Like 3

ACman

IMG_1510.JPG

Well @ohiofarmer that's a good tip with the stir stick , have to give it a try .

I think all of us with this addition found the right place  :lol: !

• Like 3

hermitman

I dont like to use tape once when painting then throw it away! When doing anything round,, axles, spindles, etc. I have pvc in different lenghts and diameters. Just slip over, put c-clip back on to hold it and paint. I use them over and over. No waste but son still says I'm just cheap!! :think:

• Like 4

Jerry77
38 minutes ago, hermitman said:

No waste but son still says I'm just cheap!!

That is exactly what my wife says.....:lol:   often.............

• Like 2

KC9KAS
4 hours ago, hermitman said:

No waste but son still says I'm just cheap!! :think:

Just frugal!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

When working on the horses, engines, transmissions, etc., there is always that moment when something slips out of your hand, hits the floor and rolls under something where it is just not convenient to bend over and pick it back up.  Sometimes, after a few hours out in the garage on the concrete, bending over is not even an option.  That's when I reached over and grabbed this 3' telescoping magnet that I have.  I no longer mind dropping something and I keep this favorite tool close to me all the times now.  

I had a 1/2" drive 7/16" socket that fell and rolled on the floor 8 months ago. I was so mad at it, that I just let it lay there (to teach it a lesson) until the other day when the magnet idea was realized.  Walked over and picked that little sucker right up.  Good things happen to those who wait.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

ACman

1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

bending over is not even an option.  That's when I reached over and grabbed this 3' telescoping magnet that I have.  

I use a telescoping magnet all the time until yesterday when it come up missing :rant2: dang kids . Even my easy reach tool they have to play with it until it breaks . Good thing there cheap at HF .

• Like 1