Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Onan starter issue

Rollerman

So whats the trick to removeing a starter on an Onan?

The starter gear is extended & the starter itself seems to be froze.

It looks to have two 1/4" bolts faceing the back of the flywheel that hold it in??

I have been trying to remove the shrouding in hopes of getting a little more room behind the flywheel.

This is by the way an 18HP version on a 448 Ingersoll.

Kelly

You do not need to remove the shroud, and yes there is two bolts along the topside of the starter I think they are 3/8's bolts look between the block/cyl. and the starter you will see them kinda side by side about 2" apart.

jerrell

Stephen i have two Onan 20 hp and the starter is a bugger to get to, long socket extension, is needed on mine, they should be somewhat similar, BTY when i purchased the mower i downloaded a complete parts manual and repair manual from the toro site, hope you get that bugger out of there. i haven't removed one but it looks a little tight in there.

TT

If you haven't already tackled this job yet, Stephen, here's a picture of a P-218 with the starter already removed:

onanstarted005.jpg

I will warn you ahead of time (if I'm not already too late) that these bolts usually crack like a gun when they break loose for the first time. I have yet to twist one off, but you'll think that's going to happen when you try to loosen them.

As Kelly previously stated - you don't need to remove the cylinder cooling shroud, but it might be easier if you do. :thumbs:

Rollerman

I was out in the shop last night till around 3AM messing with it....I keep weird hours in my off season. :thumbs:

Since this is on an Ingersoll 448 there was a lot of stuff in the way before I even got to the engine.

But I ended up unbolting the shroud, slideing it forward a bit & used some curved wrenches to pull the old starter & put another one back on.

Good news is the Onan popped right off & sounds great...the bad news is I like this thing a lot more than my 520H! :whistle:

Kelly

Glad you got it, and yes The Case tractors are a bit tight to work on, with the engine setting in there like that, I know what you mean about liking them, I'm kinda thinking of keeping one of mine, but probably won't, they are well built machines and big.

Brrly1

Hey Kelly, How about some pictures ? Probably need to list in the other brands side. Just curious as to what one of these looks like! Thanks Burly

oldandred

Im glad some one posted this info my starter drive is shot and I thought it was going to be a bear to pull unlike a sears tractor I have with a 18 briggs the engine has to be lifted or pulled and thats a bear