ClassicTractorProfessor

Ordered a new wire feed welder today

ClassicTractorProfessor

Ordered this and a new hood from Amazon today...would show the hood but it doesn't fit the family friendly guidelines here :text-lol:. It's not a heavy duty machine by no means but it should come in handy for various hobby projects and small repairs on the tractors. One of the things I really enjoy is building piggy banks out of used freon tanks...should work great for that. Seemed to have overall positive reviews so we will see

Screenshot_2017-01-03-14-39-37.png

• Like 3

Digger 66

I use my little buzz-box all the time .

Congrats ! 

Practice ,practice , practice ! 

Made up my own tie rods 

Made the bottom spar insert for the four wheeler .

IMG_20130713_103744_649_zps0c5c1335.jpg

Untitled_zps03eb8c35.png

IMG_20130920_184119_932_zpsaff7b909.jpg

• Like 4

ClassicTractorProfessor

Yes practice is the key. Ive had plenty of that over the last few years...just finished up building a bunch of corner posts for out at the farm...we've got an old tombstone Lincoln out there, but been wanting a wire feeder for the small stuff for a while now.

KIMG0019.JPG

KIMG0020.JPG

• Like 3

slammer302

You get what you pay for when it comes to welders. But a cheap welder is better than no welder. 

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
3 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

You get what you pay for when it comes to welders. But a cheap welder is better than no welder. 

I've used one similar to this before and it worked fairly well. I will agree a big machine from Miller or Lincoln (pref Miller but that's just my opinion) would be better, but for the small repairs and hobby metal art that I plan on using this machine for it should work out just fine. I've got big higher priced arc welding equipment at the farm for the big jobs, just wanted a small machine for here at home for quick repairs and hobbies, and couldn't justify the cost of a name brand machine to the wife for the use LOL

slammer302

I have the same setup big arc welder for heavy duty stuff and little MIG for the small stuff. I prefer the cheap little MIG when it comes to repairing decks and sheet metal.

ClassicTractorProfessor

Yep...precisely the reason I bought this...that and it was such a hassle to take something all the way out to the farm for one simple little repair 

Sarge

Those little low power mig units are handy for small/quick repairs as long as understand it's limitations and stay within it's true capabilities you'll be fine . The ones that show up on other forums thinking they can weld heavier steel for bumpers , tire carriers , winch mounts and hitches are the ones that scare me - nothing worse than a 38" mud tire/wheel bouncing down the freeway with it's carrier attached to it - they can become a weapon of mass destruction . Nice to have an old Tombstone around , bullet proof reliable and will easily outlive most of us not to mention versatility of different rod types for repairs . I've got an old AC 180 here that was had for $25 at an auction and use it quite often to avoid tearing down the Miller 200DX tig unit for stick use . Migs have their place , but I just don't have the room nor really like using them all that much . A buddy just scored a Miller 140 mig for around $250 in like new condition and will be adding gas to it for use around his shop to compliment his Lincoln AC/DC 225 tombstone - he's one of those that fall into some really nice deals at just the right time...ugh .

Sarge

ClassicTractorProfessor

Projects like these are one of the main reasons why I bought the little machine.

FB_IMG_1483500244106.jpg

FB_IMG_1483500237463.jpg

• Like 4

Sarge

Lol - those are cool . My daughter keeps bugging me for some art pieces from old broken tools - need to get the time is all...

Sarge

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Update...the welder came today, still waiting on the hood (FedEx sucks lol). Didn't have much time to mess with it as we are in the middle of building 10 more corners, but did take enough time to load it with wire and weld a couple scrap pieces of square tubing together to make sure everything works as it should. What I have discovered about the machine so far:

1. The instruction manual SUCKS. But not too much of a deal breaker there.

2. Figuring out how to set it is a bit of a pain...being used to higher end models where you lift the lid and have a cheat sheet for settings this may take some getting used to.

3. Once it's set right it does lay a nice looking bead, and runs really smooth.

4. Only real complaint so far is the fact that the wire and tip are constantly "hot" whether the trigger is pushed or not. Not a major problem, just have to be extra careful when done welding where you lay the gun down at.

I will post more about it in a few days after I have a chance to actually use it, building some gates after we are done with the corners, so may try it out a little on them.

Sarge

Be really careful messing with the drive rollers on those little machines - I always wear a pair of gloves with either heavy leather or rubber facing . Some of them can store an enormous amount of current in their caps on the power side , even when the power is switched off those rollers can knock you on your butt hard . UNPLUG it if you have to mess with those rollers and giving it 15mins to discharge is helpful too . I had a buddy go after cutting out a bird's nest at the front feed roller and left his plugged in - he woke up on the floor...

Sarge

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Be really careful messing with the drive rollers on those little machines - I always wear a pair of gloves with either heavy leather or rubber facing . Some of them can store an enormous amount of current in their caps on the power side , even when the power is switched off those rollers can knock you on your butt hard . UNPLUG it if you have to mess with those rollers and giving it 15mins to discharge is helpful too . I had a buddy go after cutting out a bird's nest at the front feed roller and left his plugged in - he woke up on the floor...

Sarge

Thanks for the tip...hadn't thought of that

ClassicTractorProfessor

Here it is with the first test weld I made with it yesterday, sorry for the not so great pic quality lighting in the shop at the farm really sucks lol

KIMG0045.JPG

KIMG0049.JPG

WHX??

Nice...Should work just fine then for hobby work then.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

I think it will...if I can ever find the time lol

moe1965

I created fun projects and it's good practice for when a good weld counts.  

20161017_180247.jpg

• Like 1