Sarge

Clausing 1810 drill press

Sarge

Of all days , drug this home on New Year's Eve with the wife riding shotgun to Chicago and back...I found the lift parts for the table/head already and hunting a new return spring for the spindle/quill assembly . Dumb thing is north of 500lbs and took 5 men to get it down in the basement .

Gonna make a lot of enemies when I move someday...

Clausing 1810 on trailer.jpg

Clausing 1810 on trailer 2.jpg

Have to yet put a call into Clausing and get some info on parts and dating the old girl - I suspect it's early 50's as it has the Atlas badging and Atlas motor installed as well . Not certain yet if I'll put the Craftsman's 1.5hp 110v motor on it or run a VFD and keep the 1hp , 3ph Atlas motor since it's got such heavy bearings . The VFD would allow it to become a variable speed with different torque ranges and torque control as well as reverse with the right model VFD .

Pretty cheap score for an old school full industrial unit - the entire head assembly is still well within specs and has only .003" runout total . Try to find a new Chinese home type press with those tolerances...lol . Not to mention , it's over 500lbs of iron and an 18" model with a rare oil table with t-slots - gonna enjoy using it for sure .

Sarge

• Like 7

KC9KAS

Nice find....500# WOW...Glad I didn't have to help get it into the basement!

Sarge

Yeah , despite removing the cast belt guards and the motor it was still a strain on all of us going down the stairs but it all worked out . It needs a lot of cleaning and some adjustments/small parts but overall in amazing condition for it's age - someone really took great care of it despite being in a high school shop . That teacher must have stood guard on the equipment and ruled with an iron fist or something ...

Sarge

Kurt-NEPA

Nice score!  Clausing made some fantastic equipment and still has good customer service.  I rebuilt a Powermatic 1150 last year.  Used a 3/4HP 3 phase motor and VFD.  That combination works great.  This DP is close to 500lbs also, but that really helps in stability.  These old school DP's really outshine the newer units.  Mine replaced a 25 year old Craftsman and is easily 5 times the drill press.

Good luck with your restoration.

• Like 1

Sarge

Anyone that "trolls" the used equipment shops - Please keep your eyes peeled ....trying to find the square top locking head for the vernier depth stop on this thing and evidently it was only used on the very early versions from Clausing/Atlas - ugh . Rare part indeed and the guy that I found on SleazeBay that is shipping me the lift assembly didn't have it or couldn't find it . Seems there are a lot of these guys showing up and parting old equipment out since their parts can fetch some high cash - problem is they don't have a clue what they are working with and/or are too lazy to research the models . Descriptions on the equipment sites and auction places are pretty bad so search engines can't find what you're looking for - or just want to direct you to their sponsors for new junk ...which is really irritating .

Here is a copy of the 1800 series manual - the photo's aren't the best and in b/w but you can get an idea of what the part looks like -

Clausing 1800 series manual.pdf

A rare brochure on the whole series release - pretty interesting technology for the period - they were way ahead of their time for sure ...

1099.pdf

I got the VFD ordered - GS2-22PO for 220v single phase input , 208 three phase output up to 7amps draw . It will be interesting to see how it spins up this old original Atlas motor - hope it works ok as I've never heard it run . That motor is about the most overbuilt 1hp 3ph motor I've seen yet - weighs around 75lbs without the drill's mounting plate . Going to have to mount the main VFD and all it's wiring/disconnect on the wall - I ordered the extra 9' long extension cable and will mount the faceplate control on the machine . Will have to install a full fan and filters in the box as well - this is going to take awhile and probably cost a lot more than I paid for the machine , but should be worth the effort in the long run .

The GS2-22PO -

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/GS2_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS2_Drive_Units_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-22P0

I went with this model after talking to Automation Direct's tech guys - it gives me more options later if I need to upgrade the motor with a newer unit , which would be beneficial to use one rated for a VFD from what they explained . The newer motors designed for this application can deliver full rated hp at low rpms where the older induction motors cannot - they just build more heat and can fail since their cooling isn't designed for low rpm use . I can add a temperature monitor easily enough and use the VFD's 10v output circuit to power it with a simple clamp on sensor and display - actually a good idea if you're doing it this way since most older motor's wiring isn't rated for all that much heat ...

Reading/learning all this stuff has given me a full blown migraine off and on for the last 2wks prior to getting this machine as I've always wanted to be able to run 3ph equipment in my shop instead of dealing with the problems and cost of single phase stuff - this new line of electronic drives sure makes it easier although the price tag can hurt initially .

I know it's definitely time for a new pair of specs , this pair is shot and reading really hurts ....

Sarge

Sarge

Another quick question -

Are there any good sites or places to find electrical boxes/enclosures and such as either surplus or scavenged/used equipment for sale other than FleaBay ?

I need at least a well built 220v 2-pole disconnect and would be nice to have a 30a breaker

Need a decent-sized enclosure that is sealed well out of either heavy composite/fiberglass or metal to mount the main section of the VFD inside - it needs a cooling fan and filters to keep dust out of it as this is in a metal shop and a building that is 115yrs old now . Size can be 18x12 with at least 8" of depth , or 18" square, 8" deep , ect...need to mount it on the wall behind the drill press , out of the way .

There are enclosures specifically built for these things , but prices start at about $600 and go up to $4,000 , plus fan(s) and filter heads ....ouch .

Sarge

Sarge

Been slowly getting the old girl apart , checking bearings/parts over and getting replacements as necessary . Hadn't intended to restore it , but at this point it's so far apart it might as well get painted too . Major repairs to the table and column tube are taking up a lot of time - those parts are rare and the table is cast iron to boot .

People abuse tools - but no excuse for doing this to a drill press -

58c6ae8ba1397_Tabledamage.thumb.jpg.e03f7c4f841d27b7f399bc2d45929278.jpg

Deepest hole went all the way through - into one of the reinforcement webs !

58c6aeadea5a8_Tabledamage2.thumb.jpg.e6ce81623d584fcb7a261dc7dbf4c77c.jpg

If you look closely - the back side repair is in the bottom of the hole - took some time to fill and clean out that one -

58c6aedc5ef68_Tabledamage3.thumb.jpg.40add27a6523f1b8e95336ddf32d61bd.jpg

Table done for now - need to find a machine shop in the area that can handle it's odd shape and 120lbs of weight -

58c6af07aa5bb_Tabledamage5.thumb.jpg.4de1c2e8b3783b98bc1d49ec21d135da.jpg

Seller was being cute - they had the head lowered to cover the column damage - I figured it had some anyway due to it's previous life in a school shop , machines like this aren't intended for kids to play with ....

58c6af4e43bd3_columndamagewedges.thumb.jpg.0f8b02fd3edd845be2355b1e020733b6.jpg

After tear down/inspection -

58c6b029d6fa4_Columnrepair.thumb.jpg.a22e49e1c579dba395cf4ebe4272703a.jpg

Working this week to weld all those up , it's spun-cast steel with a ground finish so the welds have to be blocked flat by hand with a file - good thing I have about 30 of them around here . Can't find anyone with a large enough lathe and a tool post grinder so far - it may just have a final sanded finish along with the oiled surface .

Got the VFD enclosure built , that took a few days of aluminum work and turned out decent enough - now mounted on the wall . Left room for a braking resistor if needed and any line conditioners as well . Going to install a 2-channel temperature display in the door to monitor cabinet temperature and motor heat level . Cabinet is fully sealed and uses a 120v AC fan to run filtered air for the VFD - these things get pretty hot .

58c6b24baff24_ClausingVFDenclosure.thumb.jpg.223e6f008941e76f3baa0dc84df86990.jpg

I'll post more updates later as progress is finished...

Sarge

• Like 2

Sarge

Hopefully , if the weather holds today the table and base sections will get blasted and painted , at least the base anyway - still hunting a shop to grind that table...arrgghh.

Found an issue yesterday while using my air band file - the new filter/regulator from Nycoil I put on the compressor outlet pipe plugged up the bronze/brass sintered filter in less than 2wks already and had to remove it for now . I do run filters with drains at all the outlets so it's no big issue - I need cfm to stay above 25cfm or the blaster unit doesn't work correctly . Upgraded the nozzle head over the winter to use the long nose ceramic or carbide cone type nozzles - hope it all works out . Also did some mods on the blaster's (Clarke pot type) plumbing to use a Y below the tank instead of the junk cast one that they originally used - it should flow a lot more cfm and mix better now , will find out this afternoon...

Sarge

• Like 1

Sarge

Base and table blasted/primed - need more primer for the base on the other side , hope to topcoat them at the end of the week . Nozzle and tank plumbing mods worked excellent - this is how the thing should have been built in the first place...

Seriously stiff today...lol .

Sarge