USHorse

416 Steering repair

USHorse

Have a 1985 416-8 that I got years ago as a backup mower.  It was pretty abused when I got it and engine ran  rough.  It went from backup to primary mower wo years ago.  Steering has been sloopy.   So now that there is heat in garage and have time, it was time to take a look.

Problem centered around the upper console metal.  The hole that the steering column passes through was worn and the consul was cracked from front to back.  The flanged collar was also cracked.  Using ideas from other RS members and my own, came up with a fix.  Basically, reinforced console with metal plates.  Bearing support added.  Had to cut off steering wheel as the roll pin was an impossibility to get out.  Added quick connect steering.   For those that don't have a ton of  skill like me, this went fairly well.  Main tools to do job was a cutoff tool for metal cutting and small drill press.  Pictures below  (sorry if pics are not properly aligned ).   

Use 3.jpg

Use1.jpg

Use2.jpg

Use4.jpg

20170102_115135.jpg

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

Nice.  I am curious though. why didn't you mount the spherical bearing where you have the upthrust collar and put the thrust collar below the bearing?  

Was there a clearance problem I am not seeing? 

Like the removable steering wheel. Do you have a link for that?   I know @roadapples has one on his C-160 w/ FEL.

daveoman1966

Take out the SLOP of the Lower steering arm FAN GEAR and the gear at the end of the STEERING COLUMN.  Strategically put in another shim (or more) onto the lower steering arm, pulling it back into the GEAR of the steering column....making it tighter.  The BRASS BUSHINGS of the lower steering BLOCK may be worn out too...very common issue.  Replacing them will also help tighten up the steering.        

steer.jpg

USHorse
9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Nice.  I am curious though. why didn't you mount the spherical bearing where you have the upthrust collar and put the thrust collar below the bearing?  

Was there a clearance problem I am not seeing? 

Like the removable steering wheel. Do you have a link for that?   I know @roadapples has one on his C-160 w/ FEL.

I did not even consider that as i was following someone else's design.   But I don't think the sandwiched bearing (spherical bearing) that I mounted in front of where the battery goes would fit properly in your suggested area due to the extra metal plates i added. I did use the flanged bearing (#24 - WH part 109189) and inserted it into the holes where the shaft passes through. It is kept in place by the collar (#26 - WH part 1085).  Not sure if they are providing much support but had them in the parts bin so used them. 

Found the quick connect online (Summit Racing if I am remembering correctly) ~$46.  The steering wheel was acquired at PEP Boys (~$40).  Grant is the manufacturer.   The sandwiched bearing was TSC parts.  A little more than I wanted to spend, but what the heck.  

Weak points of the fix may be the steering wheel.  We humans usually grip the outside part of the wheel along with a cross member.  The wheel i got is a smaller diameter and the cross members are metal and angled down.  Not sure how much this will annoy my wife when she mows.  :ph34r:  Will have to wait till Spring to get a reaction.  

5 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

Take out the SLOP of the Lower steering arm FAN GEAR and the gear at the end of the STEERING COLUMN.  Strategically put in another shim (or more) onto the lower steering arm, pulling it back into the GEAR of the steering column....making it tighter.  The BRASS BUSHINGS of the lower steering BLOCK may be worn out too...very common issue.  Replacing them will also help tighten up the steering.        

steer.jpg

Thanks for the insight.  I did notice that now the shaft slop is gone, much play when turning so your suggestion make sense....will take a look

Duramax7man7

I replaced the bushing for the lower steering shaft for the fan gear as well made on for the steering column out of copper as it was the right thickness. This tightened up the steering on my 1990 520h tremendously! The tiny bit of play left now is only in the difference in space between the pinion gear and fan gears teeth. Can't do much about that. it was cheap fix and got the job done well. In hind sight it would have been better to make the bushings out of brass. So I will look into the materials next round. This should last for a while though with regular greasing and cleaning.

• Like 1