PeacemakerJack

Favorite Car Films

Ken B

Great topic, I have already replied a bunch of times!:ROTF:The movie Christine is no doubt on my list of favorites. I've watched the movie a few dozen times (got it on VHS) Even though I'm a Charger guy, in this movie I liked the Plymouth Fury.. Now, my least favorite car movie was The Car! The Car was even more evil than Christine, at least Christine was beautiful, the Car was ugly! Not that it was a bad movie but because I was only about 9 yrs. old when I watched it in 1977. It scared the crap outta me! If you liked the movie Christine and you like to read pick up Stephen Kings book Christine. I'm a big reader and I've read a bunch of King's books. In the case of Christine, over the past 20 yrs. I've read the book 3 times! 

And.... A great TRUE car story.. If you haven't watched this one then you have to. A definite favorite of mine...

• Like 3

T-Mo

Being a truck guy myself, I always look for the trucks in movies and television shows.  One of my favorites, is the 1951 Ford F1 in Sanford and Son tv show.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

"Tucker" is a great movie based on an amazing real life story that shows that in this country, anything is possible.  Talk about a car that was ahead of its time!!! when you look at the list of standard features that it possessed in 1948, it's not hard to see why the "Big Three" fought its release with such veracity.  One of the questions that always lingers in my mind when I watch the movie is, "what would the auto industry look like if Tucker's would've been produced at the rate that was projected in the film?"  As a movie, it had all the right stuff to make it fun and wholesome entertainment.  A must see in my book.  I have seen two Tucker's in real life at museums over the years.  Fascinating cars and a nod to the "American Dream"!

@T-Mo that is a nicely restored Sanford truck!  It really has all the elements of the current "rat rod" craze.  What are some other films that have memorable trucks?  

T-Mo
4 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

@T-Mo that is a nicely restored Sanford truck!  It really has all the elements of the current "rat rod" craze.  What are some other films that have memorable trucks?  

Walker, Texas Ranger tv show, Chuck Norris first had a 4WD Chevy truck and then later a 4WD Dodge Ram truck.  Fall Guy tv show has already been mentioned.  Though not a truck, Macgyver had a Jeep Wrangler. Though a chick TV show, Luke on Gilmour Girls had a early 70's Chevy truck.  And though a bit bigger, let's not forget the 1974 Kenworth truck on the tv show, Moving On.

As for movies, I have to dig a bit further to find some old and possibly iconic trucks.  Off hand, my mind is drawing a blank.

gillmore.jpg

15133104._SX540_.jpg

• Like 1

Achto

I thought this would be a good thread to share one of my favorite short car films. This is not from a movie but there is some great filming with out the use of CG. Now normally I'm not a Ford fan but this 845hp 4x4 Mustang and the driving skills of Ken Block are awesome to watch. I hope you guys enjoy watching this as much as I do.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost: that guy and his car were on Jay Leno's garage last season.  I found it fascinating.  Speaking of JLG, if you guys are into cars and really vehicles of any kind, you would enjoy that show! 

Cool movie clip Dan, thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

benji756

The ford truck from urban cowboy was a nice one

slim67
On 1/2/2017 at 5:32 PM, AMC RULES said:

That is a classic. Anyone remember "The Car"? Starring James Brolin and Ronny Cox?

12 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Being a truck guy myself, I always look for the trucks in movies and television shows.  One of my favorites, is the 1951 Ford F1 in Sanford and Son tv show.

My cousin owns that actual truck now. Him and his business partner bought it.

• Like 1

slim67

What about "Take this job and shove it"? It had the original Bigfoot and USA-1 in it. Also since this is a tractor forum, how about " The Straight story" where a man named  Alvin Straight drove his John Deere garden tractor some distance to see his ailing brother? That was just a great all around movie, no swearing,sex,violence or BS, just a cool true story.

• Like 4

AMC RULES

• Like 4

slim67
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

thank you. definitely worth the watch.

Ken B

Love that tune and that flick Craig.... 

• Like 2

T-Mo

I love the movie "The Straight Story".  I even have a '66 John Deere 110, which is the year and model of the John Deere Alvin Straight used on his trip.  The movie is definitely a must see for those who like old garden tractors and who like a good story based on an actual event with interesting characters that Alvin meets along his route.

• Like 2

Ken B

I can't think of too many movies or TV shows that had a cool pickup in them that played a decent sized role.. I did really Like Cooters C30 tow truck from the Dukes of Hazzard though. John Baker from CHiPs did have a pretty nice Chevy 4x4 step side as well.. But since you did say trucks well then here is my very favorite. We never missed an episode, meaning my Dad my younger brother Jim and most times my Mom as well. Every episode had beautiful woman and that beautiful Kenworth! What more can you ask for? :dunno: I loved the intro....

• Like 3

T-Mo

Yes, I did mentioned "trucks", as you will noticed my reference to the Kenworth in "Movin On".  I didn't get a chance to see "BJ and the Bear", as I was stationed in Germany for most of that show's run.

Here is an oldie, it's an old Canadian tv show from the late 50s featuring a GMC.  I have never seen it, but did ran across it a couple of years back when I went searching for old tv shows featuring trucks.  Way before my time.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Now that is a vintage show! I had never heard of that one.  BJ and the Bear I do recall.  I couldn't tell you about a single episode but I remember watching it occasionally as a kid.  Obviously I was impressed by the big rigs and that chimp!  Here's a question for you guys, does any manufacturer still build a cab over truck?  They used to be everywhere but I haven't seen one pulling a load in ages.

PeacemakerJack

Here's another iconic TV show star car...

image.jpeg

the Starsky and Hutch Torino.  A large vehicle and underpowered in stock trim but easily recognizable and oft reproduced with its bright red paint, white stripe, and aluminum slot mags...

• Like 3

T-Mo
22 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Now that is a vintage show! I had never heard of that one.  BJ and the Bear I do recall.  I couldn't tell you about a single episode but I remember watching it occasionally as a kid.  Obviously I was impressed by the big rigs and that chimp!  Here's a question for you guys, does any manufacturer still build a cab over truck?  They used to be everywhere but I haven't seen one pulling a load in ages.

I'm not sure, but a quick search:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cab_over

Who can forget the Torino on Starsky and Hutch.

Achto
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Here's a question for you guys, does any manufacturer still build a cab over truck?

Don't believe there are any US manufacturer's, but there are some over sea's yet. Here's a Volvo for example.

untitled.png

Oh yea! I almost forgot they still make cab overs in Oshkosh. Not for civilian use though.

imagesSQK7JXAC.jpgcab over.png

Edited by achto
  • Like 3

T-Mo

From my wikipedia link:

"However American companies Paccar and Freightliner still manufacture traditional cab over engine designs for the Australian and South African markets where length restrictions still make them advantageous."

PeacemakerJack

Dan--love those Oshkosh trucks!  It's cool seeing those beasts buzzing around town.  Monster hunks of metal built with pride to exacting standards right here in a town of 70K people--cool:USA:. My uncle Ken worked for truck in the 70's and 80's and his job was working on those big 8 wheeled trucks!

How about these cars?

image.jpeg

Ricardo Tubbs Caddy

and

image.jpeg

Sony Crockett's (fake) Spyder!

Miami Vice defined an era of clothes styles, sunglasses and tastes in cars.  At a time when the "American sports car" was nearly non existent, enter an over the top show that was nearly the polar opposite of Dukes of Hazzard.  Vice was contemporary and cutting edge with a lot oppulence shown.  The choice was made to give the shows star w Ferrari.  It wasn't in the budget for a real one so copy was created.  The story goes that the show was such an overnight success that it even caught the attention of Enzo Ferrari.  Apparently he didn't like the fact that such a successful show had a copy of one of his cars.  He shared his displeasure with the producers and told them if they would destroy that fake, he'd give them a real one...

image.jpeg

I personally feel that was a very wise decision. The Testarossa became one of the most famous exotics of the 80's and I feel was only rivaled in popularity by the Countach and the 911 turbo.  I feel this success was at least in part to its product placement on one of the the most popular tv shows of its time. I'm an American muscle kind of guy for sure but that show was a trend setter for sure.  All around me in high school was ray ban sunglasses, deck shoes and no socks, white pants and pink t shirts, and talk of Testarossas!  Classic 80's genre...

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

All around me in high school was ray ban sunglasses, deck shoes and no socks

Is this where @stevasaurus picked up his look from?B)

Edited by achto
  • Like 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat::ROTF:

WVHillbilly520H

Big rig films huh? How about these 2?

Screenshot_2017-01-05-11-45-33.png

Screenshot_2017-01-05-11-46-14.png

• Like 3

T-Mo

High Ballin

• Like 1